My NAUI instructor ran off!!! HELP!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been following this thread and I'm wondering, if the instructor hasn't been a registered NAUI instructor, even if he sent in the paperwork, will they honor it and sent out the cards?

Rachel

Maybe a NAUI instructor can shed some light on this... What happens next?

What does it mean when one "has not been a member since 1999"? I assume this could mean alot of things, but if it were as simple as he failed to pay his dues (if there is such fees if one was an instructor), then maybe there is a simpler way of resolving things.

The thing is, this NAUI instructor is more or less well known here in the Philippines (at least in the circles of people that I have met). Though he is also known as being remiss in the administrative aspect.

A former student of his told my friends and I before taking our AOW that he was a good instructor, but to expect that the c cards will be delayed, as she got hers about a year after finishing her course. My friends and I then took the word of the instructor, as he said NAUI does take some time to process and give the cards. It wasn;t too much a hassle for us since we could still dive using our OW certifications. The problem really surfaced when the OW students started clamoring for their cards so they can dive.

Anyways, below are the responses of NAUI... and the email of an officemate who was able to contact the instructor (at last)...

What can you make out of all of this? Would be nice to get your thoughts on the matter...

---------------------------------------------------

Mr. _______ has not been an active NAUI Instructor since
1999. His name has been posted on our website since last June. Your letter indicates he is perpetrating fraud and possibly other things. I am concerned about the quality of the instruction you all received as far as whether or not he taught following the NAUI standards. Please have everyone on your list complete one of the appropriate skill sheets I have attached and send it in with a copy of their temporary card. As for the people who paid and have received nothing they should go and make a report to the appropriate authorities as they have been cheated. We have no contact information for him other than last known address:

Sincerely,
Frank J.Toal Jr.
Training Representative
NAUI Worldwide

---------------------------------------------

Dear Sir,

I am very happy to hear from you and also think that NAUI Training Agency is nothing wrong.

The only problem is from the Instructor who did not follow up his work and need to check him out.

We will find out more about him and come back to you.

Regards
Michael Tong

----------------------------------------------

Below is the email of my officemate who was finally able to make contact with the instructor :

Hi buddies,

I was able to talk to ______ today and he said he forwarded our forms a few months ago to NAUI and used his credit card to pay for the cost. He faxed NAUI the credit card details, but, unbeknownst to him the card was declined. NAUI wrote ______ a letter about it but the letter was sent to his old house in ____________. He just saw the letter a few days ago.

_____ talked to Michael Tong of Malaysia about it yesterday and said they would process our cards an dawn. He said to give it 7 days and we'll get our cards.

Cris

------------------------------------------------

Sounds to me like it is time to forget NAUI, get a couple of the fellows that got screwed, take you best Louisville slugger or a 3 iron works nicely, and have a discussion with his kneecaps about properly representing himself as a scuba instructor and ripping people off.

No this is not a troll and I am NOT kidding. He won't go to the police because he doesn't want to be found out.

there's light at the end of the tunnel...

NAUI Malaysia has emailed confirming that the instructor has contacted them and clarified matters. NAUI assured us that those who have completed the course will be receiving NAUI certification cards.

looking back, i really wish it didn't have to come to this. we all enjoyed the courses we took under the instructor. he did give us a hard time during the course, but we all learned alot. it sucks that we had to resort to complaining to NAUI directly to get results. it would hae been so much simpler if the instructor was just straightforward or took the time to actually explain the delay (plus the reason why his name is in the NAUI site as a "non-member since 1999")

Back
Top Bottom