My NAUI instructor ran off!!! HELP!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It really takes time to obtain C-Cards (processing time and sometimes inefficiency of the postal system). I got each of my NAUI C-Cards a couple of months after completion of course requirements. But the instructor would notify us on the status, as the mailing would be requested and mailed in batches. But 6 MONTHS is unacceptable.

Good luck and do keep us posted.

.... http://www.naui.com/ethics/index.html#membership

"Non-NAUI Members
NAUI Members are defined as NAUI certified Instructors, Divemasters, Assistant Instructors, and Skindiving Instructors.

Ames, George Everett is not now, and never has been a NAUI Member
Barrios, Jose Luis (Louis) #14085, has not been a member of NAUI since 1999"

Is this the instructor you are referring to?

bottmline is... we were screwed!

I missed something here.

Which one of these guys represented himself as an instructor?

Did you pay the instructor directly or did you pay the dive shop?

Did either one sign your dive log?

CrazyC

The complaint process at NAUI is pretty straight forward. You document the event, send it to them in writing and put your signature to it. They inform the Instructor of the accusation and investigate it. From there, they decide if the aligations are fact or fiction, If they find it as fact, they have a whole slew of diciplenary measures they can and WILL take. As far as getting your c-cards, copy your training log book that shows your course completion and copies of checks or reciepts that shows payment, contact NAUI to get issuance of your c-cards. They are very helpful in these events, they do happen from time to time and they are prepared for just this kind of thing.

-Dennis

stokes once bubbled...
My friends and I took (6 of us) our AOW with a NAUI instuctor. In fairness, we were impressed with what he taught, and we all became more confident & safe divers. This was in completed in Dec 2001, the instructor has been giving us the run around since then. In other words, we don't have our C-cards yet. That's the first issue.

Second issue, mid-year 2002, I rallied some of my officemates into forming a Scuba Dicving Club. Since I had a good experience under that NAUI instructor, I asked him to conduct an Intro to Diving talk. Since the NAUI instructor also worked for a big local dive shop, they were able to facilitate intro dive pool sessions, which was good. Considering that the dive shop is a PADI facility, the NAUI instructor gave my officemates a choice between PADI and NAUI. Others took PADI (about 3 people) the rest picked NAUI (approx 7). Each of the NAUI students paid in full at the start. 5 finished the course but haven't also been given their C Card. The other 2 people couldn't join the first group due to schedule conflict. Now, the NAUI instructor has apparently resigned from his job at the dive shop. Now not only do my firends and i (6 of us) not have our AOW C Cards, 5 of my officemates who took their OW with him (plus 2 who are fully paid and can't seem to find him) are left with nothing. What makes it worse is that my officemates picked him because i told them of the good experience i had, in terms of learning and confidence in diving.

The NAUI instuctor refuses to answer his cellular phone when called.

I have considered writing the dive shop, but would that help? He isn't employed there anymore. Should I notify NAUI?

Any suggestions on what I should do?

Contact NAUI immediatly and do it in writing and by phone.

Contact NAUI immediatly!

NAUI is usually good about getting things like this resolved. Call and email them repeatedly until you get results.

Contact the shop where you took the class. They should have some info on him. Perhaps they can even provide his Instructor number.

NAUI will probably nail this guy for being so unprofessional.

Sorry you had such a bad experience with this moron. For a NAUI Instructor to act like this is the rare exception, and is certainly not the rule.

stokes once bubbled...
My friends and I took (6 of us) our AOW with a NAUI instuctor. In fairness, we were impressed with what he taught, and we all became more confident & safe divers. This was in completed in Dec 2001, the instructor has been giving us the run around since then. In other words, we don't have our C-cards yet. That's the first issue.

<snip>

Something like this happened to me too. I took rescue in 1985 and never received the card. I assumed it just got lost in the shuffle because I moved after the course and the shop where the instructor was working closed and he went somewhere else. When I finally got around to thinking about my divemaster I rang PADI to get a replacement card and my rescue wasn't on record. I didn't have much to go on, only the name of the shop and I couldn't remember the instructor's last name, only his first name and I didn't hvae his number. I also couldn't remember where I was living at the time because I moved like 13 times when I was going to university. I ended up taking rescue again but it wasn't such a bad idea anyway seeing is how there was a long gap in between and I had forgotten a lot.

R..

I have emailed NAUI. Their response is that the instructor "has not been a member since 1999" and this has been posted in the NAUI site since June last year. In my case of AOW, we took it in Dec 2001. In the case of my officemates' OW, the instructor made the presentation on our office sometime in May 2002.

I have called the dive shop, and they have offered a compromise to the OW students who are more or less complete. Since the dive shop is a PADI institution, they don't offer NAUI courses, so they propose a cross-over to PADI. The students have to pay for a check out weekend, incidentals, and for the c card. For the two who have paid and have not yet started a single class, they will waive professional fees, but PADI materials and check out weekend will still have to be paid for.

All of the OW students paid in full, both for the course and for the checkout weekend. AOW

One of the OW students was able to get a hold of the instructor, and he said that he sent in our forms (at least for the OW), and that we should get the cards in 7 days. I am just hoping that it does push through. According to my officemate, the instructor said that he spoke to Mike Tong of NAUI Malaysia, and that he has resolved the problem. Hopefully, that's the truth.

As I've said, this is really unfortunate, but at this point, I just want things resolved with the least amount of hassle (considering it has been a big hassle already).

I guess we just have to wait and see if the c cards do come in 7 days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom