My New D-2000 Arrived!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CompuDude

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been using my S80 in the Ikelite case and on-board flash for the past 6 months or so, and FINALLY I was able to get the strobe I've been lusting after: The Inon D-2000. I'm using the Ikelite handle and ULCS arms (3" and 5" with the new style clamps), and the Optical D cable/Cap W18 set, purchased from Reef Photo.

The instructions were pretty bad, but fortunately I recalled reading somewhere that the fiber cable's terminator rig just attaches to the flash block plate the Ikelite housing came with, and it seems to work... at least, when I take test pictures, the darn thing flashes.

For the record, to date I have been using the camera in the U/W mode, but I suppose I should probably start playing with Aperature Priority mode so I can do a custom white balance (can't set white bal in u/w mode), which will be pretty new for me... I've only dabbled with it for a couple of shots.

I'll be getting it wet for the first time on a night dive tomorrow evening. Any tips? How many shots should I count on the batteries lasting? (simple Costco-brand Kirkland AA alkalines until I can buy some good rechargables... got recommendations for rechargables and chargers?) Will it die so soon that I'll want to bring down the flash diffuser plate so I can switch back to on-board flash once the strobe dies, or should it last for a good 100 shots or so?

Thanks!

CompuDude:
got recommendations for rechargables and chargers?)
I like the Powerex MH-C204W charger and conditioner, and it even comes in its own travel case. It works faster and better than anything else I have seen, and is designed for traveling. As for batteries, I am using Energizer 2500 mAh Nimh rechargables, which are the best I have found so far. Unless someone has found an improvement?:huh: Oh, and also get the Pulse Load multi-battery tester from ZTS. (ztsinc.com) It is worth its weight in gold.:wink: Good luck. Woody

I don't think you'll want to use manual white balance with strobe. The auto should be fine. You're probably better off with shutter priority than aperture priority to start off. Check out Alcina's new sticky, it has some good recommendations. With the strobe, you might be able to start out between 1/80 and 1/125th shutter speed and see how it works, and go from there. Eventually you'll want to go full manual. Have fun.

Don't forget to use the shutter speed to vary the lightness/darkness of the background (water)....

Ugh. I have a LOT more practicing to do before I start getting the hang of this. Last night's maiden voyage did not go as well as I'd hoped. I think I need to do more day dives so as to avoid the flashlight/camera/strobe shuffle, until I'm more comfortable with it...

Back
Top Bottom