My observations on the buddy system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The OW class did not teach either my wife or myself how to be a good buddy. Nor was it stressed by dive masters during our trip to Cozumel.
Its only after reading Scuba Board for the last month that we now have a plan and expectations of each other as scuba buddies.

Your observations are spot-on. I realized the discrepancy between how buddy diving is meant to be and how it's being done a while ago, and that prompted me to get trained, certified and equipped as a solo diver. On another note though, have you considered the possibility that your daughter might actually being safer if diving with an experienced dive professional? All I'm saying it is very natural and intuitive to feel reluctant to let her dive with anyone but yourself, but given your relative inexperience at this point, you two might actually be taking on a much greater risk by buddying up compared to buddying up with more experienced divers. Yes, blood is thicker than water, but when push comes to shove, that won't be of much help in a diving emergency, where skill and experience alone decide the outcome. I am a very strong believer in pairing up inexperienced with experienced divers.

This kind of nonsense is one of the reasons why I pursued training with Bob as well. I have since dove with similarly trained folks on both coasts, and never had anything approaching that kind of disrespect for teammates. In fact, to say that team integration has been seamless would be an understatement--I've never had such fun as on my last dozen-or-so dives.

You will see when you take Primer that the first priority is always team. That said, Primer is the more individually-oriented class; it wasn't until Fundies that I truly got the nature of good teamwork--and that was despite having a similar experience to you in terms of being extremely concerned with my buddy's welfare and vice-versa (since my first 35 dives or so were all buddied with my wife). What I found was that wanting to be a good buddy goes a long way, but actually being a great buddy requires more than the desire to be, it requires (specific, trainable) skills as well.

Keep it up, and if you ever find yourself in the NJ/PA area drop me a line and maybe we can dive together.

Your observations are spot-on. I realized the discrepancy between how buddy diving is meant to be and how it's being done a while ago, and that prompted me to get trained, certified and equipped as a solo diver. On another note though, have you considered the possibility that your daughter might actually being safer if diving with an experienced dive professional? All I'm saying it is very natural and intuitive to feel reluctant to let her dive with anyone but yourself, but given your relative inexperience at this point, you two might actually be taking on a much greater risk by buddying up compared to buddying up with more experienced divers. Yes, blood is thicker than water, but when push comes to shove, that won't be of much help in a diving emergency, where skill and experience alone decide the outcome. I am a very strong believer in pairing up inexperienced with experienced divers.

I totally agree with you!!!!! However, I have yet to meet that person. But I would be more than happy to find that person that we could dive with. However, even some that I have met with 5,000 dives is scary to me.

No, if the buddy is ignoring the discussed plan you thumb the dive, period.
If the team isn't working together, the team isn't diving.

I don't see it as a need to end the dive that instant.

First, this isn't a cave or wreck dive that demands adherance to a plan.
Second, why waste the dive? Plans can change in simple open water dives. If your buddy is doing his/her own thing, then you stick by them and be the good buddy. That keeps the "team" together and safe.
third, a "buddy" who is doing thier own thing probably would ignore your desire to surface and keep doing thier own dive. This is the tye of diver who probably needs you there in case something goes wrong.

This is the tye of diver who probably needs you there in case something goes wrong.

Then I hope they brought their checkbook. If I have to rescue a "one way" buddy, I am charging them for the service. If they are reciprocal in buddy skills then its free of charge.

uggh at risk of another scuba industry thing, the agencies want you to take more courses. duh. they leave stuff out in OW, like navigation, and a solo diver mentality. we train them day 1 to be solo divers. If they dive as a buddy team they are completely independent of one another and are just there to help out if need be and share in the experience. One of the nice things with GUE is they teach this mentality from day 1. I don't agree with a lot of stuff they do, but 98% of it is spot on with what we teach, and preach to some extent.

You first have to want to be a better diver.

Second, you find better training.
PADI, NAUI, CMAS, SSI etc are oki agencies, the defining factor is the instructor. More advanced agancies Like TDI, GUE, target perfecting skill sets, indepth knowledge and team diving.

Third, You find better divers than you, one that you want to be like, as in a mentor, and dive with them. This is easier said than done, but I am sure you can find one that is willing to show you a few things.

Improve your skills. Better fining, better buoyancy and better breathing. Meaning get in shape for diving. and Take a rescue course. Highly recommended.

Having said that. Start with reading a few books. here are a few I have read.
I am sure others will add to it - so please do,

- Fundamentals of Recreational Diving
Beginning With the End in Mind - the Fundamentals of Recreational Diving - PDF | Global Underwater Explorers

- Fundamentals of Better Diving
Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving - PDF | Global Underwater Explorers

- Dress for success
Dress for Success | Global Underwater Explorers

How does one change the poor training, poor skills and negative mind set?

But what makes the other folks, not take it serious? My best guess is that there is no personal responsibility for the other person, your buddy. But I would also think there is more to this than just the responsibility of the other person. These were just to strangers that were paired together for the weekend.
I can think of several reasons why this would happen.

- The divers are so unskilled that they're struggling just to maintain their position in the water. They're using up all their mental bandwidth just trying to keep from rising or sinking, and don't have anything left for anybody else. It's an "every man for himself" situation.

- They were never taught how to be a dive buddy. Sure, they may have gotten some platitudes about how this is what you're supposed to do ... but nobody ever bothered saying "here's how you do it". This is an "I don't know how" situation.

- The instructor doesn't take buddy diving seriously, so the students see this and figure they don't have to either. This is a "why bother" situation.

- They figure the rules don't apply to them. This is the "who, me?" situation.

If I had a diving child I would not allow them to be buddied up with anyone I didn't know.

Good call ... the rule for kids is that they are only allowed to buddy up with a parent or someone the parent specifically designates.

How does one change the poor training, poor skills and negative mind set? I can tell you that in our OW class, buddy was only mentioned once or twice. Dives were a cluster duck, I am not sure anyone could define buddy. They told us to buddy up but that was it. To a new person that does not mean much. I ended up learning how to be a better buddy by reading here and following what felt right and doing the right thing. It is not something I learned in class. I will also add, I still have much to learn.
It sounds as though your instructor doesn't take the buddy system very seriously ... therefore his students won't either. This was my impression reading your initial post, when you were discussing the class diving as a group. One doesn't learn buddy diving that way ... one learns herd diving. Herd diving is where everyone dives as an individual and focuses on the herd leader (in this case, the instructor).

The proper way to teach buddy skills is to take only two divers at a time on the dive, and make sure they know that they are the team ... the instructor or DM is only along to observe, and to provide feedback afterward. Prior to that dive, the skills of cohesion and communication need to be discussed. Cohesion means "here's how you descend together, here's how you dive together, and here's how you ascend together". Communication means "here's how you stay in contact with each other during the dive". This includes hand signals, the use of lights (when appropriate), positioning, and body language. It also involves some behavioral changes ... like learning to turn your head rather than relying on peripheral vision (which you don't have with a dive mask on) or assumptions (that your buddy's going to do what or be where you expect them to). If these things aren't taught, then you don't have a buddy at all ... you have a liability in the water who's likely to do unpredictable things and keep you too stressed out to enjoy the dive.

Your observations are spot-on. I realized the discrepancy between how buddy diving is meant to be and how it's being done a while ago, and that prompted me to get trained, certified and equipped as a solo diver.
The skill that most makes you a good buddy is also a skill that is most needed for solo diving ... that would be good awareness of what's going on around you. There are many excellent reasons to solo dive ... lacking buddy skills isn't among them. At issue is that if someone's too lazy to work on being a good dive buddy, they're unlikely to have the self-discipline needed to be a good solo diver.

On another note though, have you considered the possibility that your daughter might actually being safer if diving with an experienced dive professional? All I'm saying it is very natural and intuitive to feel reluctant to let her dive with anyone but yourself, but given your relative inexperience at this point, you two might actually be taking on a much greater risk by buddying up compared to buddying up with more experienced divers. Yes, blood is thicker than water, but when push comes to shove, that won't be of much help in a diving emergency, where skill and experience alone decide the outcome. I am a very strong believer in pairing up inexperienced with experienced divers.
The problem with this approach is that it tends to create a dependent diver ... someone who hires someone else to "take care of me". That may work out OK for easy tropical dives, but for more challenging conditions ... even at your local quarry ... it's not a good idea. It's far better to limit the scope of your dives for a while and work on developing the skills needed to dive as a buddy team. Being a dive buddy is a commitment to a certain amount of effort and self-discipline. When you're diving with a loved one, the motivation to make that commitment is very strong. That can be a positive thing ... as long as you remain within the limits of your training and comfort zone.

Some time back I wrote an article intended for those who wanted some guidance in how to be a dive buddy ... some of the newer divers out there may find it useful ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I see the "why don't others take it seriously" issue as plain selfishness. People think of themselves first and foremost and very few think beyond that, especially in new or "difficult" situations. The funny thing to me is that not paying attention to your buddy is the exact opposite of thinking of yourself. After all, your buddy is your safety net and how many newbies really want to do things without a safety net?

Me, I try to be religious about checking in... for air, for "ok" for location, for anything I can think of. I've seen too many accidents in my life to go being "selfish" in diving or allow my buddy to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom