• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

My Rix SA-6 Diesel

Discussion in 'Compressors, Boosters & Blending Systems' started by rob.mwpropane, Nov 11, 2020.

1. rob.mwpropane

rob.mwpropane Contributor

I have read that article probably a few times now, but each time I pick up more. I think I'll set my PMV to 2100 (unless I find out different information). This would be above the 2000 mark and allow any discrepancy in the gauge readings, and at the same time give the compressor a chance to cool down some between tanks when moving from a high pressure tank to a lower pressure one.

Any chance you remembered the pictures? What do you advise to set a PMV at?

Thank to all:D

2. rob.mwpropane

So just an update... I don't have everything exactly where I want it... been too busy diving and enjoying life. Everything is plumbed the way it should be, so thanks for everyone's suggestions. To date I've pumped close to 4500cf of gas.

Yesterday I had my 1st issue. The belt decided to flip and it started smoking. Within seconds I turned it off. There's belt material scattered under the cover, but neither belt actually broke. It was weird they flipped perfectly in place. I've had our air compressor at the shop do this from time to time.

At any rate, does anyone have any ideas? The adjustment feels pretty good. The alignments looks good, everything still spins freely. I'm hoping just a fluke? Maybe the belts (which I've never changed) are getting a little worn? Idk....

Does anyone know the belt size needed? I'm going to order at least 4 (mine uses 2 at a time). I can still use the ones on there, but they need to be changed sooner than later.

3. grf88

grf88 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I will take a look later to see what I have, is yours a twin belt or single. When I went to get a replacement belt I was asked what it was for and he advised me that for my application the grade of belt I was using was not suitable and provided me with better belts. No issues since.

4. rob.mwpropane

Mine is duel. So you're saying you've had that issue before? I'd be happy to buy higher quality belts.

I could always take mine somewhere and match them up (they still look ok), but it would be just as easy if not easier to get the right model # and just order belts online. Thanks!

5. rob.mwpropane

The part # in Rix manual is

41-3VX425-1 for Gas
    41-3VX450-1 for Electric

6. rob.mwpropane

Just following up with my own stuff that I've found. It looks like my belts that were on there were Premium 25-7440... no idea what brand, can't find "Premium", but NAPA sells 25-7440.

Gates makes both 3VX425 and 7440 belts, they look identical but there's some very slight differences in the specs. Rix calls for the 3VX425. I may have had the wrong belts installed on here from the get go. Probably good that I didn't go somewhere and just ask for replacements.

RayfromTX likes this.
  7. grf88

Checked my belts they are MBL MAXSTAR WEDGE 3V450 SET FREE. Mine is electric.

rob.mwpropane likes this.
  8. rob.mwpropane

9. rob.mwpropane

I also took another look at the pulley's, I can see where one might be slightly off by just a hair (by my naked eye). I'll have to get out some tools and see if I can align them better.

RayfromTX likes this.
  10. grf88

Mine are off by more than a hair and so far no problems.