My slightly "near miss"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Griff..

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Well its not as close as alot on this forum but I have gained valuable experience from it.

So I've recently moved to Cyprus to dive.

Was along with two young advanced open water girls doing there wreck adventure dive on the Zenobia (awesome dive btw)

anyway, we were at one end of the ship (the opposite to where we entered) and I told one of the girls to check there air cause I hadn't seen her check it yet, and she was on 50 bar, I told the instructor who was leading the dive, who swam off with her at a fairly quick pace to get to the ascent line, and I was left with the other girl who quite frankly has terrible swimming technique and buoyancy.

anyway she cant swim well and like doggy paddles, and a current had picked up so we had to swim against a fairly hard current to get back to the line.

So i swap just above her holding her tank so she couldnt go anywhere and to assist her swimming against a current. I let go of her for a second to check my air and she started floating up (we were at about 18m so i grabbed her and pulled her back down and she knocked her weights belt as she tried to regain balance with her arms, which started coming off Luckily i saw it and quickly grabbed it and wacked it back on before she went anywhere. Grabbed onto her tank again and basically had to swim for both of us to get her back.

Then she knocked my regulator out my mouth which was no big deal.
so took her to the ascent line had to hold her at 5metres for a safety stop.

So, what I learn, make sure your buddys checking there air regularly, and when diving with less experienced divers, its important to stay close and sometimes take control of them if the situation gets worse, I'm currently doing my divemaster course so this is a valuable experience for me :) and I'm sure I will come across similar situations like this.

Hope you enjoyed reading my first and hopefully last "Near Miss"

Griff

... she tried to regain balance with her arms, which started coming off Luckily i saw it and quickly grabbed it and wacked it back on before she went anywhere.

I really hate when that happens, because getting back up the ladder becomes really difficult. Glad you were there to catch it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom