My wife has a problems with leaking masks...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never found one that stayed sealed when I smiled. I'm not allowed to be happy underwater.

I'm under the impression that masks will always leak when you smile. If you look in a mirror and smile, you'll see that your whole face moves, which will break the seal of even the best fitting mask. At least, that's what I've been told, I could be wrong. I just go ahead and smile... then clear my mask. ^_^

its now time for the ever happening "HOG pitch".... they, as well as many others, have a small frame mask (actually individual lenses rather than the frequently seen mono-lens). See if you can find one......

You are in PA, check with Lapenta.....

I would not recommend a full face for the average OW diver. Too expensive, requires a lot more training, they have to be comfortable with bailing out of it to a regular mask, and there are much cheaper alternatives. Look into masks made for kid sized faces. Look at brands like Edge, Scubamax, and other smaller lesser known companies. Because the truth is that Oceanic you might have paid 70 bucks for is the same mask under the Edge or Scubamax brand for $25.00. There are like three or maybe four companies that make masks for the major brands. There are some exceptions like Apollo, which I sell, and Atomic.

But you will pay a premium for them. Otherwise the majors contract with these 3 or four companies to slap their logo on a mask and based on whose logo is on it determines what you'll pay. I just got a flyer in today from another brand that seems to want me to carry their line. It has two masks I can order that are identical to a couple major brands. The cost for these - 14.50 and 13.00 on DEMA special. Retail recommended - 59.99 and 49.99. So don't go by brand or price. Go by an actual fit. The shop whose pool I use has every mask they carry in the pool so that students can try it in the water. Then when they find one that works with a snorkel and a reg in their mouth they can choose to buy that one or go in the shop and get a new one off the shelf.

Ask the shop if they will allow you to do this.

For my mail order customers I have a try and if it doesn't fit send it back for a refund minus shipping for Edge and HOG masks. I want them to try in in the water. A pool is preferred as it's fresh water but they have two weeks to do it. As long as it's not broken, scratched, or really gunked up I'll replace it with another model or refund their money. I wish I could do it on the Apollo's as well but I don't move enough of them to make this deal.

---------- Post added October 25th, 2013 at 03:21 PM ----------

Bob and I were posting at the same time it seems. :D Philly is six hours away but I would do the deal above if he wanted to take advantage.

I have had people order three masks, choose the one that fits and send the others back. No problem with that at all.

Philly is six hours away but I would do the deal above if he wanted to take advantage.

I have had people order three masks, choose the one that fits and send the others back. No problem with that at all.

Yes, I'm "PA geographically challenged", but point being they and you are in PA (as apposed to one being in CA), and you would be a good resource... Cheers!

I have a long, narrow face, and for a long time, I thought a small mask would be the answer, but for my particularly anatomy, it isn't.

The best piece of advice above is NOT to put a mask on and inhale to see if it will seal. Put enough suction on a mask, and anything will stay. On the other hand, if you put a mask on your face and gently press with your fingers, and hold your breath (obviously, any air escaping through the nose will ruin the test) and the mask stays put, it's very close to a good fit. Then the trick is not to overtighten the strap, as already stated.

Also, if your wife is using one of those fancy dry snorkels with the big, heavy valve portion on the top, get rid of it. Those snorkels are top-heavy and fall, twisting the mask strap and causing leakage. We see this all the time in our OW students who are suckered into buying them.

Next time you try on a mask, ask for a regulator. Put the regulator in your mouth and try it on. This has been said before, I'm just stressing it because it makes a HUGE difference.

Also, the "dive shop test" most people do is they take the mask, MUSH it onto their faces and suck in through their noses as strong as they can. This is NOT a good test. The right test is to put the strap in front of the lens and out of your way, then look straight up and place the mask on your face gently (NO MUSHING!!!), then gently suck through your nose and start looking down. This, with a reg in, is as close to diving the mask as you can simulate dry. Your wife should be able to feel positive suction or a small leak.

One common problem for women is their hair. Hair under your skirt is a bad thing, even in diving....so make sure your wife's hair doesn't get under there. It's hard to keep all hair out of there. My wife french-braids her hair on the left and right sides into two low-exiting braids (like, the braided pony-tails start behind her ears and the rest of her head is french-braided into those pony-tails) and still gets some hair under her mask skirt. The trick is putting your mask on your face first, while holding your hair back with your other hand, and THEN pulling the mask strap behind your head.

Awesome ideas. We are leaving in a week so I am not sure if we have time to take up Jim's offer but we will be in touch tomorrow.

There is always the Mares X Vision in the Mid size and the Atomic Frameless in the Mid size. My wife is a problem also for mask fitting. N

Back
Top Bottom