My wife has a problems with leaking masks...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife was having the same problems. She is using the Atomic Frameless.

Finally she discovered on her own that her masks kept leaking because she didn't tighten them enough! (I heard over tightening them can have the same effect)

Check that your wife isn't having the same issues.

---------- Post added November 1st, 2013 at 01:26 PM ----------

I use to have problem with leaking masks, I bought a warm water hoodie and walla the leaking has stopped. Don't understand why and I really don't care the problem is gone.

Going on a dive trip soon and ordered a shrek hood, no leaks while looking good lol

Perhaps the strap was too loose? The hood took up the extra slack...

My wife was having the same problems. She is using the Atomic Frameless.

Finally she discovered on her own that her masks kept leaking because she didn't tighten them enough! (I heard over tightening them can have the same effect)

Check that your wife isn't having the same issues..

I suspect that your wife may have coincidentally solved her problem another way.

When I talk about mask leaking with new students, I do the talk with my mask on, snorkel dangling from the side, and the strap sitting loose on top of my head. I was once carrying a load of gear out to an instructional site while swimming on top of the water. Unfortunately, some of my load of gear shifted and broke my mask at the point the strap attaches at one side. I had to setup the equipment, and my spare mask was back on shore. I did the 30 minute setup dive without a strap--no problem. No more leaking than normal.

. . . One common problem for women is their hair. Hair under your skirt is a bad thing, even in diving....so make sure your wife's hair doesn't get under there. It's hard to keep all hair out of there. My wife . . . still gets some hair under her mask skirt. The trick is putting your mask on your face first, while holding your hair back with your other hand, and THEN pulling the mask strap behind your head.
I have the same problem, and I'm a guy with short hair. It doesn't have to be anything dramatic - even just a couple of stray hairs caught under the mask will do. Mine was subtle enough that it was hard to catch, even the divemaster who did my check-out dives missed it for a while. All we knew was that my mask kept flooding for no apparent reason.

Thankfully, if that's the case here, its an easy fix. Just take your hand, put it to the brow, and then "sweep" up to the hairline (applying mild pressure) while you put the mask on. That'll keep any stray hairs from getting trapped under the mask. Of course, that only works if the problem is hair related - but its easy to test, and a cheaper solution than buying a new mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom