MySpace Pages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Next time I can logon (there is a video advert from a large computer manufacturer on the front page that is still downloading after 2 mins and blocking all links so I cannot at the moment) I'll go find some of the offenders and report them, see what happens.

lucybuykx:
Next time I can logon (there is a video advert from a large computer manufacturer on the front page that is still downloading after 2 mins and blocking all links so I cannot at the moment) I'll go find some of the offenders and report them, see what happens.
Which one? These are legal, paid sites....

LeisurePro.com

Aeris XR1 Wrist Computer

www.JoeDiverAmerica.com

www.Scuba.com

www.OnlineScubaLessons.com

lucybuykx:

Ditch the dial up. Are you still living in the dark ages in Northern England?:confused:

OMG - Myspace on dialup would be ungodly. :11:

Robert Phillips:
Ditch the dial up.

2 meg broadband working at full pelt. I suspect there was some other nasty javascript control going on that wanted me to watch the video before allowing next action. Did what I do during TV ads - something else.

DandyDon:
Yeah I think they're okay to list their businesses on their pages without links or phone numbers, as long as they don't send spam messages.

You are correct in that any contact details are prohibited :
"8. Content/Activity Prohibited. The following is a partial list of the kind of Content that is illegal or prohibited to post on or through the MySpace Services......6. provides any telephone numbers, street addresses, last names, URLs or email addresses; "

So these :
All breach that. They are from page 1 of a search for 'scuba dive shop'

I'll repeat the MySpace terms I cited before that say "may not be used in connection with any commercial endeavors".

Its ok to say you run a business and to name that business. It is not ok to write anything on your MySpace page that would encourage folks to come and visit your shop or website where you can make commercial gain.

Its one rule for all. Legal pill pushers and scuba course pushers, makes no odds.

Ok, I guess they didn't read the rules - and most people don't. They hear about them from others.

I don't report them until they Spam my messages or friend adds, tho.

DandyDon:
Ok, I guess they didn't read the rules - and most people don't. They hear about them from others.

But every one who signs up agrees to abide by them :confused: And they are linked from every page. And the FAQ. MySpace do a great job to make sure they are accessible.

MySpace have got themselves into a pickle. Its an incredibly popular site, with a great service linking people up, but part of that popularity is always going to the ability to promote business, and the corollary, somewhere familiar to find a business you want. So if MySpace started enforcing the terms of service they would have to delete huge numbers of users and potentially diminish the experience for others. They might just also get a dip in advertising revenue ahem.

lucybuykx:
But every one who signs up agrees to abide by them :confused: And they are linked from every page. And the FAQ. MySpace do a great job to make sure they are accessible.
Yep, that happens here, too - as well as on any other membership site. People sign up without reading the Tos or the Faqs.
MySpace have got themselves into a pickle. Its an incredibly popular site, with a great service linking people up, but part of that popularity is always going to the ability to promote business, and the corollary, somewhere familiar to find a business you want. So if MySpace started enforcing the terms of service they would have to delete huge numbers of users and potentially diminish the experience for others. They might just also get a dip in advertising revenue ahem.
I don't see much difference between the locally owned dive shop wanting to be seen on myspace and the model who has a page there - both there for networking and publicity, with personal business in mind. The links & phone numbers are not allowed, tho. If one messages the offenders, the message will probly be received poorly, but someday someone will report them. :eyebrow:

Maybe good ol' Tom needs to post a warning to the MS world...?

Back
Top Bottom