Naked, can’t swim !!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coogeeman once bubbled...
Yep...In the end I was really in the "whatever you want lady" mode, and I didn't care what she wore. I just wanted to get to the water and take her for a dive.
I think I put the "I'll go naked" thing down to eccentricity, but the "I can't swim thing"....stupidity? I laughed about it afterwards and I dined out on that story for a month or two, it was good value.

Coogeman

This is a great story coogeeman. I think there was a real communication problem here but a real lesson to be learned.

jepuskar once bubbled...
I'm still confused.

I'm with you, I’m confused.

If you want to scuba, then you can not be afraid of the water. If you are not afraid of the water, I can teach you to swim in half an hour.

Assuming you are not talking BOW, but a resort dive (as stated). As long as you will not panic under water, what is the problem? My wife is not a strong swimmer, but she snorkels very well. It is much easier to swim in gear then without.

Why is this is an issue. She wanted to dive. She must not have been afraid of the water. It was not a Certification, but resort dive.

My buddy went down to Mexico and enrolled in a resort dive. He was given 20 minutes of brief, and thrown in the water for the first time.

He was not told what an inflator was used for.
He was not told how to breath.
He was not told how to read a SPG.

When he got back, I gave him my BOW book. He was amazed at what he did not know when he entered the water.

And people expect them to swim?

"No Mister Bond, I expect you to die."

No one is saying that the diver has be a *strong* swimmer, but they had better be comfortable in the water and able to float if something happens to their gear.

What would happen if a regulator failed (for instance) and a long surface swim back to the boat was required? There are several instances where a surface swim may be required. I know of several mediocre swimmers that are very good divers/snorkelers. But, I know of very few *non-swimmers*. A non-swimmer just tends to be too uncomfortable in the water if something happens to their gear.

Are you sure it wasn't being filmed by the Korean equivalent of "Candid Camera?"

scubaroyster once bubbled...
Discover Scuba or a resort course requires swim testing, a scripted brief, and a confined water session to learn CW1 skills. Not the shop's fault. It's the instructor's responsibility to either conduct these pre-dive requirements or verify that they have been done by another shop instructor. Also make sure all the paperwork is filled out.

Wrong! Neil squared me away on another post. I regret to learn that a swim test is not required to do a discover scuba diving. Also a confined water session is not required if the "boat option" is used when confined water is not available.

If you are a PADI Instructor, the participant does have to be given the brief and taught the skills specified by PADI before the tour.

This is not to my liking and I don't think I would ever do this...If using the boat option (which is not recommended), the skills need to be done in proximity of an ascent line preferrably with the instuctor making contact with it, and at a depth similar to shallow water conditions. The instructor maintains positive control of the participant at a 1:1 ratio.

I will still continue to swim test participants before they get in the open water with me. It's called good judgement.

drbill once bubbled...
Coogeeman, you send the young woman to me and I'll teach her to swim (no charge). Then you can teach her to dive.

Seriously, the local shop I worked at required swimming skills and comfort in the water for an intro dive. It sounds like you do too, only the shop itself failed you on that. When I was certified back in the dark ages we were required to demonstrate swimming and treading water skills both in the pool and in the ocean before getting certified.

Dr. Bill

Same here, I was certified NAUI 13 years ago, and we had to demonstrate Swimming and Treading techniques as well as swimming x Meters under water (I forget how far though). I think this should still be a requirement for OW certification, IMHO

Dale

Something about teaching the breast stroke???

Sorry...after two pages of confusion, I had to throw it out there...

AggieDiver

diverbrian once bubbled...
No one is saying that the diver has be a *strong* swimmer, but they had better be comfortable in the water and able to float if something happens to their gear.

What would happen if a regulator failed (for instance) and a long surface swim back to the boat was required? There are several instances where a surface swim may be required. I know of several mediocre swimmers that are very good divers/snorkelers. But, I know of very few *non-swimmers*. A non-swimmer just tends to be too uncomfortable in the water if something happens to their gear.

I think you have to be a strong swimmer to be a good/safe diver - if not it will catch up to you sooner or later.

In terms of this girl, all I can say is how come the cute ones are always so dumb?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom