Naked, can’t swim !!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coogeeman, you send the young woman to me and I'll teach her to swim (no charge). Then you can teach her to dive.

Seriously, the local shop I worked at required swimming skills and comfort in the water for an intro dive. It sounds like you do too, only the shop itself failed you on that. When I was certified back in the dark ages we were required to demonstrate swimming and treading water skills both in the pool and in the ocean before getting certified.

Dr. Bill

jepuskar once bubbled...
I'm confused.

Do you mean now,.......or always!:D

Caymaniac

Naked and can't swim. Hmmm I'm thinkin' "private swimmin' lessons"!

*snicker*

-Dennis

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Was this a Discover Scuba type thing? Shouldn't there be some sort of pool session involved covering at least mask clearing and regulator sharing before going diving in open water? And even just getting used to breathing through a regulator!!

Just going by my intro to scuba about 3 years ago.

My 14yr old son did two intro dives in Hawaii that involved going out in a boat, receiving 20 minutes of verbal instruction, gearing up, jumping in the water (giant stride) and then receiving ten minutes of basic skills training, then diving for 30 minutes.

We repeated the dive at a different location a second time after a 1.5 hour SI.

No pool time....

He has since taken OW, and passed. :)

Discover Scuba or a resort course requires swim testing, a scripted brief, and a confined water session to learn CW1 skills. Not the shop's fault. It's the instructor's responsibility to either conduct these pre-dive requirements or verify that they have been done by another shop instructor. Also make sure all the paperwork is filled out.

She never even went to the pool? I am sorry, I ignored this thread orginally due to the title and thought of what it would be.

I would have been more than furious. I assume that you have an instructor who should have checked to see if she could swim? Somebody dropped the ball on this one!

I would assume the paperwork requirements are normally met at the front office and you are basically handed the students, so I won't blame you for not knowing. But really........ !

There was a difference of opinion when it came to the shop and the lady's story...the shop insisted that they had asked her if she could swim, and thats why I didn't because I saw on the forms that she had signed off on it...whereas the young lady said that they didn't and when show the forms said that she didn't know what she was signing, go figure.
There was minor lanuage barrier but in the end you can't take someone diving when they can't swim.
Also, and and someone else mentioned this, that you may need to do a pool test before you do a resort dive? Not here in Australia. Its usually a hand held dive but there is no pool test required. You have to explain the gear, what they will experience and how you are going to conduct the dive, which usually takes an hour, but thats all.

Coogeeman

Yep...In the end I was really in the "whatever you want lady" mode, and I didn't care what she wore. I just wanted to get to the water and take her for a dive.
I think I put the "I'll go naked" thing down to eccentricity, but the "I can't swim thing"....stupidity? I laughed about it afterwards and I dined out on that story for a month or two, it was good value.

Coogeman

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom