Nanaimo Snake Island fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It does to me... Either he was part of the team, and splitting up at 160 would be very bad planning, or he was solo, and if so I would question the dive charter why they allowed this. Just trying to figure out what happened, as it does affect the whole community here. To many scuba fatalities in the
last few years... What can be done to minimize the fatalities without spoiling it for everybody else?

It does to me... Either he was part of the team, and splitting up at 160 would be very bad planning, or he was solo, and if so I would question the dive charter why they allowed this. Just trying to figure out what happened, as it does affect the whole community here. To many scuba fatalities in the
last few years... What can be done to minimize the fatalities without spoiling it for everybody else?

I'm not sure I follow your logic. How does this affect the whole community there? Ain't likely anybody's gonna close Snake Island Wall access to other divers.

FWIW - I've done much deeper solo dives ... some in Vancouver Island.

Let's not go off on tangents here ... solo diving didn't have anything to do with this particular accident ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

<snip>...There is a possibility he wasn't diving with them, and wasn't aware of what went down until he surfaced.</snip>

Chances are he was solo. There is no rule saying you can't. Is it the best way to do things, maybe not to you or me, so any responsibility would lie on the diver, and certainly not the charter.

D

Solo is not illegal. Most charters allow it if you can show a Solo cert.

Also, [speculation] if it was a team, maybe he was acting as a safety diver at that point. I don't believe it. [/speculation]

If your team members do something stupid, you have to make the Rescue Diver's decision: Will my actions create another victim?

So, you would have put him in a situation with more pressure on him to go to 250 with the other two?

Reactions: Jax
Solo is not illegal. Most charters allow it if you can show a Solo cert.

Also, [speculation] if it was a team, maybe he was acting as a safety diver at that point. I don't believe it. [/speculation]

If your team members do something stupid, you have to make the Rescue Diver's decision: Will my actions create another victim?

There is no solo cert for diving beyond recreational depths ... experience, planning and preparation are what matter. Many dive ops don't allow solo diving under any circumstances ... cert or not. Others decide that we're adults and capable of making our own decisions ... especially if they're familiar with the diver(s) in question.

This accident had nothing to do with solo diving ... let's keep in mind that the two fatalities were the guys who were not diving solo ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Defied knows the divers better than I do, but AFAIK they were diving as a team.. All three of them were friends that went up there together from Seattle and planned the deep dive before hand.

I can not speculate as to the dive plan or the gas or what "likely" happened.. The only people that know are they people on the dive. AFAIK the survivor had no visual contact with the divers when the accident happened. He stayed at 160ft and I also dont know the reason why he stayed behind.

The 2 other divers were at 250 for about 15min when the one guy corked and yelled his buddy is at the bottom on his back.. he was taken on the boat and went into cardiac arrest due to omitted decompression. The missing diver was found early Sunday morning by a civilian diver.

Its unknown if he was Out Of Gas or what the issue was exactly.. We will have to wait for the investigation.

As Dafydd said, the 2 divers that died at least one was known for doing deep air dives and this was not their first time doing it either - The reference Bob made to the Elliot Bay incident was interesting because this person was a primary dive buddy of that individual as well. That said, the way or decision on how they dive is completely up to them and I cant judge on their diving principles except say that I would not choose to dive within those boundaries.

I also know the one diver that died had a dive computer issue prior to the dive into the abyss, but they decided to go anyway.

At this point the only people that really know what happened are the deceased.. so no amount of speculation will give clarity until after investigation imo.

Both divers are personal friends and dive buddies. Both had advanced tech certs and their dive plan was NOT to 250 ft. Their dive plan was to safe depths and with in all allotted safety standards. One of them had issues and they attempted buddy aid. Out of respect for the families that is all that needs to be said until the investigation is complete and they wish for more info to come out.

OK, no need to speculate. We can wait until more real details come out. But aside for the family, I do feel for the charter operator. It's been a while but I remember a charter operator around Sechelt who stopped taking technical divers for a few years as he couldn't handle anymore them dying on his boat. He only allowed it for a select group of divers with certificates and dive practices he trusted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom