Nanaimo Snake Island fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gods. A 200 foot CESA?

I'm pretty sure he did some deco, but omitted a ton. Blacked out at depth, came to when he heard his AI computer beeping at him about low backgas and only had 500 psi at depth. I think he successfully got onto his 50% bottle but was too light and lost it eventually and corked with a large amount of deco omitted. I doubt anyone survives from 40+ minutes at 200 and CESAs straight to the surface and lives.

Sometimes people dive and deco on backgas. Assuming doubles. If it was a short dive (12 min) they could do it on thirds of 200 cuft. 130 cuft.

I guess they do. Not something I would do and just a very inefficient way to deco.

---------- Post added October 12th, 2013 at 05:25 PM ----------

I doubt anyone survives from 40+ minutes at 200 and CESAs straight to the surface and lives.

Yeah one would guess they had froth where there blood used to be. We lost a diver here years back who rode a lift bad from 200ft to the surface via entanglement. Made the deck of the boat and died there.

The pictures broadcast on Global TV Vancouver on the Saturday 6PM news briefly panned over to gear on the ground in a parking lot that showed a harness with what looked like an OMS wing and twins and what appeared to be a deco or wash bottle that was slung. Not saying who it belonged to or even if this was gear used by one of the divers involved in this horrible incident.

My own experience diving with this charter company is that they are very professional.

So much interpretation with so few facts. Two facts we do know: its very unfortunate that two people lost their lives and we can never be too careful when we dive.

My heart goes out to all involved.

Last edited:
So Lamont, the reported 250 ft is incorrect? However, depending on their doubles (100's or 130's), 40 plus min. even at 7 ata's would probably go into rock bottom if they didn't have stages as per the news video. So sad that he couldn't get to the 160 ft diver, or that diver get to him, for additional resources.

Story I heard from people down there was it was a planned deco dive to 130 feet(had proper gear and training), diver got narced headed deeper and his buddy went after him getting narced himself. They just had the wrong back gas to go deeper then 130. No clue where the 250 feet came into play. That site its easy to get narced on I've seen it happen. Its not like a cozmel wall its a cold water bc wall. Still a sad story.

All speculation aside and I have some new info. This was very likely a planned deep air dive. I also know that this wasn't their first rodeo.

I am very sorry for the family left behind by these two individuals but this type of behavior impacts the whole dive community in a very negative way.

I feel most sad for the surviving member who did not participate in the deeper segment of the dive.

Story I heard from people down there was it was a planned deco dive to 130 feet(had proper gear and training), diver got narced headed deeper and his buddy went after him getting narced himself. They just had the wrong back gas to go deeper then 130. No clue where the 250 feet came into play. That site its easy to get narced on I've seen it happen. Its not like a cozmel wall its a cold water bc wall. Still a sad story.

The 250 came into play when it was reported that a diver was on his back at 250. An SBer said there is a ledge there.

As I said before, eerily like the Cozumel divers. So sad the 2nd diver gave his life trying to grab the 1st diver.

---------- Post added October 13th, 2013 at 11:04 AM ----------

How very brave and amazing for the 3rd diver to remember to NOT create another victim, to hold his depth . . . God Bless him. Even though he made the very best decision possible, he has got to be hurting.

So Lamont, the reported 250 ft is incorrect? However, depending on their doubles (100's or 130's), 40 plus min. even at 7 ata's would probably go into rock bottom if they didn't have stages as per the news video. So sad that he couldn't get to the 160 ft diver, or that diver get to him, for additional resources.

No that was in reference to the earlier accident that Bob was posting about. There are still effectively zero public details about this accident other than the thin information from the news reports.

---------- Post added October 13th, 2013 at 01:42 PM ----------

This is likely incorrect.

---------- Post added October 13th, 2013 at 01:42 PM ----------

All speculation aside and I have some new info. This was very likely a planned deep air dive. I also know that this wasn't their first rodeo.

I am very sorry for the family left behind by these two individuals but this type of behavior impacts the whole dive community in a very negative way.

I feel most sad for the surviving member who did not participate in the deeper segment of the dive.

This is more or less what I've heard as well.

I can't imagine how that third diver feels. He did the right thing. Everyone will support him in that, but i am sure he will not feel he did when he is attending the funerals of his friends. It's a tough choice and one I hope to never have to make.

As for the deep air....That's a dead horse I won't bring up

Reactions: jbm
No that was in reference to the earlier accident that Bob was posting about. There are still effectively zero public details about this accident other than the thin information from the news reports.

Lamont, from Post #2:

Search and Rescue Maritime co-ordinator Troy Haddock said the surviving diver was at a depth of 160 feet while the other two were diving at an "extreme depth of 250 feet."

"There were two fellows that were diving together and the report was that they were both in distress," Haddock said.

"One of the fellows had to leave the other one, and the last report was he was on his back, on the bottom."

Then post #5 says
Those depths are probably correct. You can go deeper, but there is a large shelf at 250 ft.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom