Narc Panic at depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with Don on this one. Always knew that would happen eventually :)

Any deep dive I do is going to be with my own regs (Apeks)

Rental regs MIGHT be fine at depth, 150 feet is a bad place to find out that thay are a piece of junk though.

Fish_Whisperer:
I dive Sea Elite Tek X regs. They aren't the most expensive, but so far, they've been like the Jeep of Regs for me. They performed as well at 134' as they do at 34'. :)
I had my Oceanic reg down to 165, which my trusted Tech says is about the limit for that one. Use it on my pony now, got Mk-25.

Hi Don -

No, not inappropriate at all - I've was merely curious, that's all.

I've heard this anti-rental comment often enough, but IMO, there really isnt any safety difference. Virtually all regs I've used work well enough down to rec limits. Incidentally, the only reg malfunction I've had has been on my own regs (a new Beuchat VX-10 Iceberg).

While we should all dive with whatever gear makes us feel comfy, in this case I dont think that it matters that the OP was using a rental reg.

Safe diving,
Vandit

pm3009:
Hi Surlytart

I had a very similiar experience. You can read my post at:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=110542&highlight=pm3009

Glad you kept your cool ! :)
Bye
Pam
Pam, Surlytart,
I always reply with a link to this metric whenever I read a post about the Dark Narc:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=248750&postcount=56

Deep Air with increased Gas Density & Work-of-Breathing; then throw in Physical Exertion or a Stress Condition, resulting in overbreathing the regulator (wet regulator in Surlytart's case!) --all leading to the Vicious Cycle of CO2 Retention and sudden Narcosis. Can result in severe cognitive impairment at depth or worst case stupor and ultimately unconsciousness. . .

DandyDon:
I had my Oceanic reg down to 165, which my trusted Tech says is about the limit for that one. Use it on my pony now, got Mk-25.

which reg a Alpha sport (unbalanced) but an older one not the 8/SP5?

Our regs are fine beyond 165.

That being said, I have experienced what some others here have on Sherwood regs, over 150 and they have been a bear. It's been awhile however.....

I just want to know what bright bulb Divemaster/Instructor brought this girl to 165.

Please folks just because we are Instructors question us when what we say doesn't make sense and do not allow us to talk you into something beyond your ability.

Any good instructor that wants to you dive to that depth is going to demand on spending lots of classroom time and lots of skill development dives working up to that, not just you'll do OK, follow me!

Thanks for linking to your experience.

WRT Kestrell's post, is this:

"The panic was probably from the narcosis. Nitrogen suppresses the electrical impulses that nerves use to communicate with each other. Sometimes this can cause paranoia, feelings of non-specific dread or doom, etc. This effect can be exacerbated by taking over the counter decongestants. Did you happen to take a Sudafed before the dive?"

True?

I pretty much always take Sudafed starting the day before a dive. It wasn't as necessary in warm water, but my usual allergies make diving nearly impossible without it.

am I the only one troubled by all the "pat-on-the-back" posts here? Good job! you did well! you came out alive!

some of you are missing the point! 145ft ON AIR! this dive became a statistic before a toe touched water. DUMB DUMB DUMB.

you want to avoid massive narcosis? NO DEEP AIR!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom