NAUI and TDI TEC course question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having some experience with Texas based tech divers, if you are going to start running tech trips, I would suggest that you set max limits for depth and time, up to certification level. So something like a tech light trip would be 150' max for a 60 minute run time, 1 deco gas allowed. A standard tech trip could be up to 200', 80 min run time, deco gases up to the diver, and an unlimited deco trip (within reason) where people can dive to their comfort level.

Because getting an opportunity to to some deco dives off a charter boat is pretty difficult around here, everyone wants to max it out as fast as possible. I say start it slow, get your procedures down pat and open it up to bigger dives as your crew gets comfortable with it.

And make sure you allow rebreathers :)

If you need a list of coordinates for loads of deep stuff let me know and I'll email it to you.

-Chris

Supposedly all this things have been tried. And people have died. The written MOD with a methodical verification by your teammate and only turning on the bottle you want to breath off of seems like the process that has been found to be the most reliable way to not get killed.

But apparently people still die without them as well, like I mention if one self and your buddy fail to check the MOD ( looking if the tank you want to use is the correct one ) it doesn't matter, you will die certified or not like it still apparently happening, MOD is a must, no discussion about it, it is the pinnacle start, but you get a silt out or 1 foot visibility or you lose your buddy, you can't rely on your buddy anymore, then becomes your self and whatever indicators/barriers alerts you which is the correct one, even in the very unlikely scenario that you can't see nothing if you don't bring it in front of your mask, specially for the ones that use prescription glasses and their back up mask isn't, it is wise to have another indication to alert you.

I'm wondering if high stress/fatigue situations and using the same type of regulators slinged on the same side, and the diver checking the tank MOD but still do make a mistake of grabbing the incorrect one do to a quick distraction, if a second indication could had help him or not.

Of course we can keep adding problems over problems until the diver die or die, but in accidents in general, sometimes it is a row of problems after another that let to the wrong decision.

You can kind of joke and compare a Tec dive check preparation to a Cockpit plane depart check list, and to a plane in big trouble going to the check list in order to successfully land, to going thru the checks to solve the problems in the dive during Deco and whatever lead to the start of the problem.

But apparently people still die without them as well, like I mention if one self and your buddy fail to check the MOD ( looking if the tank you want to use is the correct one ) it doesn't matter, you will die certified or not like it still apparently happening, MOD is a must, no discussion about it, it is the pinnacle start, but you get a silt out or 1 foot visibility or you lose your buddy, you can't rely on your buddy anymore, then becomes your self and whatever indicators/barriers alerts you which is the correct one, even in the very unlikely scenario that you can't see nothing if you don't bring it in front of your mask, specially for the ones that use prescription glasses and their back up mask isn't, it is wise to have another indication to alert you.

I'm wondering if high stress/fatigue situations and using the same type of regulators slinged on the same side, and the diver checking the tank MOD but still do make a mistake of grabbing the incorrect one do to a quick distraction, if a second indication could had help him or not.

Of course we can keep adding problems over problems until the diver die or die, but in accidents in general, sometimes it is a row of problems after another that let to the wrong decision.

You can kind of joke and compare a Tec dive check preparation to a Cockpit plane depart check list, and to a plane in big trouble going to the check list in order to successfully land, to going thru the checks to solve the problems in the dive during Deco and whatever lead to the start of the problem.
If you can't see your mod you can't see your depth. If you can't see your depth then why are you switching gas?

All the add on gimmicks just serve to complicate the situation and introduce possibility for error.

If you can't see your mod you can't see your depth. If you can't see your depth then why are you switching gas?

All the add on gimmicks just serve to complicate the situation and introduce possibility for error.

But that's what the knotted spool is for! That and counting your stops in your head.... :rofl3:

But that's what the knotted spool is for! That and counting your stops in your head.... :rofl3:

You can be laughing but that is one of the tools of the reel.

AJ do caves only so SMB for him I guess is useless.

You can bring your DC to your mask, but I guess you can bring your tank sticker as well.

You can be laughing but that is one of the tools of the reel.

AJ do caves only so SMB for him I guess is useless.

You can bring your DC to your mask, but I guess you can bring your tank sticker as well.
Yeah, caves only for me.

Meanwhile

IMG_0933.JPG

Do you have an example dive/profile where you have a mix of one & two deco gas divers on the same boat? That seems odd to me.
With a dive like the Hydro Atlantic in Boca Raton, FL, you will see a mix of divers doing a number of different things. It is 150 feet to the deck and about 175 as a maximum depth. You will see some deep air divers, you will see rebreathers, you will see one tank deco, and you will see two tank deco. It can easily be done with one tank deco, but I will always use two, both to save total run time and so that I have to keep in practice with 2-gas skills.

I'm both a NAUI and TDI (and IANTD) instructor for pretty much all of the open-circuit tech stuff. One gas switch is the standard at the AN/DP (TDI) / Technical Decompression Diver (NAUI) / Advanced Nitrox (IANTD) level. However, because both the NAUI and TDI programs do not have a limit on the upper end of deco a graduate can get themselves into, and I believe the ability to manage 2 AL40's should be within the realm of all technical divers, I do one dive where we introduce two bottles and work with them at a depth of 30'.

That dual bottle dive is a non-deco dive and is just there to gain the experience of juggling multiple stage bottles. There is also a lot of discussion about how these skills need to be practiced shallow before they become necessary on a deep dive.

BTW -- at the normoxic trimix level I introduce the 3 bottle rotation and manipulation of 3 stage bottles, once again at a depth of 30'.

And while some may say "well he's just a cave diver that doesn't need to carry all of his deco bottles," I've spent this week in the Cayman Islands doing some moderately deep wall stuff and am really sorry I need to head home soon.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom