NAUI DIR tech course content (kinda split from DIR variances)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great explanations of technique & usage all 'round from everyone.

For a Wreck Penetrations of one continuously laid line out and reeling it back in on exit, our Team uses primarily tied-in arrows for any jumps down a side passage, lost buddy search etc. I'll usually place a cookie on the main line to mark an adjacent intermediate Gangway Exit thru to daylight & open water, as an alternate contingency option for an Emergency Egress (but obviously wouldn't rely on it in silt-out/low viz conditions). . .

IMHO in a real zero vis silt out, low on gas, heart beating 160BPM things have gone bad situation your excessive use of cookies just killed you. If you want point out the nearest exit run a gap/spool to outside the exit and then mark it with a arrow at the point you join the gap with your mainline. I see more use in reversing what you outlined BTW but still wouldn't do as you are discussing.

Far too many have died in wrecks only a few feet from the exit, because in real silt there is ZERO indication of the exit, that is why any marked exit MUST go outside the wreck following a cont. guideline.

Far too many have died in wrecks only a few feet from the exit, because in real silt there is ZERO indication of the exit, that is why any marked exit MUST go outside the wreck following a cont. guideline.

I suspect that Kevrumbo is doing... back along the main penetration line, finds cookie, knows to "look up" (or left or right) to see alternate exits. If vis is soo bad that the exit is not visible they have the gas to continue along the mainline and exit at their primary tie.

I suspect that Kevrumbo is doing... back along the main penetration line, finds cookie, knows to "look up" (or left or right) to see alternate exits. If vis is soo bad that the exit is not visible they have the gas to continue along the mainline and exit at their primary tie.

here is the problem with that

You are in extreme silt out, can't see your hand in front of your mask but are following the mainline to the exit, you come across a cookie, that means an alternate exit is close and when not in the silt "should" visible. This dive has gone bad and you want out BAD. Now what? Do you tie off a spool and start to search for the close exit? It is adding too much confusion. Plus in wrecks there are many, many times where I see light coming in that would make me think that an exit is possible but isn't. Without going all the way to outside the wreck you don't know. So the cookie idea sounds good to someone that hasn't been in lots of wrecks. To someone who has and has been in a zero vis silt out all that cookie means is lost time.

I'm not Kevrumbo...
The cookie merely provides information. Its still up to you to make decisions. I take it you'd leave it off for simplicity - your choice.

For me I would place a cookie if for instance the entire left (or right) hand wall was missing - a huge hole. That would be a feature worth marking. A doorway would not be worth marking.

And this is exactly why we should all know that you can't learn technical diving on the internet....

And this is exactly why we should all know that you can't learn technical diving on the internet....

Pretty sure this is just a discussion....

I'm not Kevrumbo...
The cookie merely provides information. Its still up to you to make decisions. I take it you'd leave it off for simplicity - your choice.

For me I would place a cookie if for instance the entire left (or right) hand wall was missing - a huge hole. That would be a feature worth marking. A doorway would not be worth marking.
Exactly . . .examples would be the Yukon Wreck in San Diego, or the Rio De Janeiro Maru in Truk Lagoon. Prepping an arrow & spool combination off of the main line out into open water through one of these large window/gangway/cutouts is a viable option as well (Thanks Chris Cerich, we've done that one too!).

And of course you can "Internet Dive" --isn't that what we're doing right now?; what's more important is how you utilize other's experiences, recommendations and actually apply them in practice. Instruction & Training and Agency Conferences (DAN, GUE etc) are always best, but where else can you find a convenient, updated, informal peer reviewed source of infromation?

Doesn't that make obvious sense Heather? Or care to explain what context do You mean by "Internet Diving"?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom