NAUI DIR tech course content (kinda split from DIR variances)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not sure if anyone thought through a scenario where we are in zero vis and sharing gas. There is no time to waste on where your cookie is in relation to the line, to the other cookie etc, etc. Coming out of a side tunnel, in zero vis, sharing gas and stressed.... a line arrow with my line tied in is unequivocally clear: EXIT OVER THERE=>

I think there was an accident some time ago where a team had cookies on the line, their tie in to the mainline moved, and they had an emergency. It seemed that they went back and forth to find the cookies wasting gas. They died just short of the exit. Not sure of the exact details. Aline arrow would probably have toled them in time where to go.......

What does that same line arrow tell other people in the system, who are also in zero vis sharing gas, especially if it's pointing to your exit, rather than the closest exit?

OK, I'll take that answer. Let's fast forward to apoint in time when you are doing exploration or diving caves with no maps available. Do you think a re-examinatin of procedures might be needed at that point, or are you confident that what you have learned and practiced previously will still be valid in all situations? If you do decide to re-evaluate, and decide to change your procedures, do you think that will be difficult based on years of habit? What are the chances you might inadvertently revert to previous procedures with detrimental effect?

Believe it or not, I've been asking myself these kinds of questions for years, and over the years there have been things I have changed- forming the new habit wasn't easy, harder depending on the "age" of the habit. I do every dive as if it were exploration- it's the only way to ingrain the habits (I'm sure you guys can see the rationale behind that).

I am nowhere near to doing exploration, but I think I would prefer Ts when beyond the travelled mainline. For clarity. But that's a function of my T marking protocols so one leads to another.

What does that same line arrow tell other people in the system, who are also in zero vis sharing gas, especially if it's pointing to your exit, rather than the closest exit?

It is telling them that that is someone else's line arrow in use.....(single arrow with a line tied in)

It seems like that is part of the reason it is hard to trust arrows that you did not put down/verify yourself. And again, knowing the direction of the nearest exit is not the same as knowing the direction of your exit where you know you have a continuous guideline to open water.

It seems like that is part of the reason it is hard to trust arrows that you did not put down yourself. And again, knowing the direction of the nearest exit is not the same as knowing the direction of your exit where you know you have a continuous guideline to open water.

Bingo, we have a winner!

With a small change: ...is not the same as knowing the direction of your exit where you know you have access to open water. Having indications of a different 'closer' exit, does not mean it is an open exit.

It seems like that is part of the reason it is hard to trust arrows that you did not put down/verify yourself. And again, knowing the direction of the nearest exit is not the same as knowing the direction of your exit where you know you have a continuous guideline to open water.

The "societal" idea behind using cookies is to make line arrows more reliable for everyone. Instead of having a lost line/buddy/siltout situation where some point to good exits and some [used in a jump] point who knows where or have been placed for "peculiar reasons" or whatever.

Sure, in a perfect world, you shouldn't trust anything you not have placed. But someday that might be the only thing you have to work with.

Edit: BTW this is the best thread in here in years :)

OK, I'll take that answer. Let's fast forward to apoint in time when you are doing exploration or diving caves with no maps available. Do you think a re-examinatin of procedures might be needed at that point, or are you confident that what you have learned and practiced previously will still be valid in all situations? If you do decide to re-evaluate, and decide to change your procedures, do you think that will be difficult based on years of habit? What are the chances you might inadvertently revert to previous procedures with detrimental effect?

Believe it or not, I've been asking myself these kinds of questions for years, and over the years there have been things I have changed- forming the new habit wasn't easy, harder depending on the "age" of the habit. I do every dive as if it were exploration- it's the only way to ingrain the habits (I'm sure you guys can see the rationale behind that).

Great explanations, Heather, thanks! I learn more from you than from anyone else on this board.

Great explanations of technique & usage all 'round from everyone.

For a Wreck Penetrations of one continuously laid line out and reeling it back in on exit, our Team uses primarily tied-in arrows for any jumps down a side passage, lost buddy search etc. I'll usually place a cookie on the main line to mark an adjacent intermediate Gangway Exit thru to daylight & open water, as an alternate contingency option for an Emergency Egress (but obviously wouldn't rely on it in silt-out/low viz conditions). . .

Great explanations of technique & usage all 'round from everyone.

For a Wreck Penetrations of one continuously laid line out and reeling it back in on exit, our Team uses primarily tied-in arrows for any jumps down a side passage, lost buddy search etc. I'll usually place a cookie on the main line to mark an adjacent intermediate Gangway Exit thru to daylight & open water, as an alternate contingency option for an Emergency Egress (but obviously wouldn't rely on it in silt-out/low viz conditions). . .

When do you NOT place the cookie??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom