NAUI DM certification - LDS or independent instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cozumel?

Remember my advice on the idea that a DM leading dives for an operator in a resort area will need to be able to do multiple jobs, usually including instructing. If you are going to instruct for a shop, you need to be able to instruct for the agency with which the shop is affiliated. Some shops will do multiple agencies, including NAUI. Others will work exclusively with one agency.

As for being an unaffiliated, free-lance DM, ask yourself a question. If you were a dive operation owner, would you entrust the management of your customers and their lives to a regular employee you know and trust, or would you use someone with whom you do not have a solid working relationship? I ask because of an unsatisfactory experience I had in Cozumel. I was using a large operation with a number of boats. One day, the DM we had was simply horrible, and I had two really bad dives. (On the second, he led the supposed drift dive INTO the current until he was shamed into turning us around when he ran into another group going the other way, after which we drifted over sand for the rest of the dive.) When I complained, the dive operation owner explained that they had some sickness in their normal DM staff, and they had had to dip into the pool of unaffiliated, independent DMs on the island for that one. Everyone on the boat got an apology, a refund, and an assurance they would never use that DM again.

St. Maarten.

I'm not considering going through a shop. And I've had unsatisfactory experiences with dive guides/DMs in St. Maarten, Saba, and Florida, so I completely understand your frustration. I've also had unsatisfactory experiences diving without a guide, for what that is worth.

Hello ScubaJill. You have received some great advice about what becoming a DM entails and the challenges you might face doing so in the Caribbean. I would certainly heed their advice. Brent has offered to meet with you as someone in your area which also seems reasonable. I will try an address your question speaking as an Independent Instructor. Brent is correct in that DMs that are NAUI trained are trained to do so anywhere in the world. However, being trained to be a DM in Virginia is not the same as being able to DM in Couzmel. Usually there is an adjustment period as you would be dealing with a different diving environment than that in which you were trained. Independent Instructors are able to certify you with the same level of competency as one affiliated with a shop. As long as the Independent has the equipment and the time to run the DM course your training should be complete. My DM classes ARE internships as I need to know that the candidate can perform to the expected level over a period of time. Not just a few pool sessions or an open water dive. The duties of a DM, especially in NAUI are quite varied and carry with them a tremendous amount of responsibility and potential liability. An appropriate DM class will educate you about these concepts and prepare you to be a thinking DM. If this is your path then enjoy the process. Carrying tanks is the least of your worries.

Hi ScubaJill,
Where are you located in Va? I'm a NAUI Instructor Trainer in the Richmond area and I might be able to point you in the right direction. My dive shop is a designated NAUI Training facility, which means we can make NAUI DM's, Instructors, and Instructor Trainers, as we have a Course Director on staff.
There are a lot of good independent instructors out there, but here's my advice. I think it's very beneficial to be able to train for DM or AI or Instructor under several Instructors. People have different ways of getting the same information across and it's important that you find the best way for you. Being able to watch multiple ways of teaching is a big plus.
You are correct in your research of the path to take. Assuming you have your Advanced and Rescue certs, Master Diver would be your next step. Even if you don't have your rescue, we can combine the 2 classes. I've got a Rescue class starting on June 23rd, and a Master Diver class starting the following week with 2 of the students doing just that.
If you're serious about getting started and you're near the Richmond area, get in touch with me. The next Master Diver class isn't until the fall at the earliest. I'm also starting a Divemaster class tonight and we'll probably start the next one in the spring.

For most everyone who doesn't live near a resort or a beach, being involved is a part-time side gig. No offense intended, but I'm not sure you have the correct understanding of what being a DM is. Becoming a DM is the first step in being a professional in the dive industry, meaning you can be sued for your action or inaction even when you think you're off duty. Therefore, you must learn the does and don'ts and the proper professional skills necessary. A good DM program creates DM's who can work all over the world, and we do have them working all over the world. So this does take a lot of hard work, dedication, carrying tanks, carrying gear, helping students (including the ones that don't appreciate it), and lots of swimming and scuba skills. My advice would be to take the Master Diver class and learn more as education is always a good thing, but give careful thought towards the commitment needed for becoming a DM.

Good luck with your search!

Thanks, Brent S, for your comments. I am generally familiar with the liabilities DMs might face, and duty of care that may be legally required, as well as the costs associated with maintaining insurance. Well, with as much familiarity as an outsider can have. I am also familiar with many of the tasks DMs do at dive shops and on boats, though it depends on the shop, I guess, based on my experience. And honestly, I don't take offense at your comment that I lack the correct understanding of what a DM is and what being a DM entails. On the one hand, I see most interactions as a learning opportunity, hence my reasons for posting questions like this on SB. So I'll take some time here to ensure that I have a clear understanding of how you define a divemaster. I would point out though, that if you had read my previous post where I laid out specific language from the NAUI website which was replete with language regarding the DM being a professional certification, it would be apparent that I understood the DM *to be* a professional certification.

Since you quoted a comment of mine in your response, it seems that having the DM certification would be wasted on planning and leading dives for individuals I know or may know through friends/acquaintances and engaging in this activity would not constitute being an actual DM? Am I understanding your perspective correctly? If people I know charter a boat and ask me to plan and lead dives, and I am remunerated, and, for the sake of argument, local laws or personal insurance require the dives to be led by a professional, this is not in keeping with a divemaster role?

As I mentioned in previous posts, this is a long-term plan for me and would involve taking the required courses over time to gain that certification. I am interested in sitting down with an instructor and mapping out what that progress would look like, such as when classes are offered, planning diving opportunities to solidify that training (in addition to other diving I am doing), etc. I'm not in a hurry and I am very appreciative of a thoughtful, methodical instructor who can appreciate my goal and the objectives I've identified for achieving that goal (helped along by nice flow charts and the easy-to-read NAUI website).

I'll be sure to look at the program in Richmond and the time commitment required once DM training begins. I trust that is on the website? For example, from what I have read, DM certification is skills-based. Traditional DM programs rely on internship/training programs to build these skills in prospective DMs, but someone with 1000 hours of diving who decides to go into a DM course could conceivably show he has the requisite skills to pass the course and not have to participate in the internship/training piece? Or someone has some level of skill between a competent diver and the 1000 hours diver and much of any training would focus on those non-existant or weaker skills? But what I'm hearing from you is, irrespective of the skill and experience of the diver entering the divemaster program, there is a number of training hours that need to be completed with the dive center outside of coursework before a DM certification is given? This is when all of the "hard work, dedication, carrying tanks, carrying gear, helping students (including the ones that don't appreciate it), and lots of swimming and scuba skills" comes into play? (Which, by the way, given my own background, doesn't sound too onerous at all.)

Hello ScubaJill. You have received some great advice about what becoming a DM entails and the challenges you might face doing so in the Caribbean. I would certainly heed their advice. Brent has offered to meet with you as someone in your area which also seems reasonable. I will try an address your question speaking as an Independent Instructor. Brent is correct in that DMs that are NAUI trained are trained to do so anywhere in the world. However, being trained to be a DM in Virginia is not the same as being able to DM in Couzmel. Usually there is an adjustment period as you would be dealing with a different diving environment than that in which you were trained. Independent Instructors are able to certify you with the same level of competency as one affiliated with a shop. As long as the Independent has the equipment and the time to run the DM course your training should be complete. My DM classes ARE internships as I need to know that the candidate can perform to the expected level over a period of time. Not just a few pool sessions or an open water dive. The duties of a DM, especially in NAUI are quite varied and carry with them a tremendous amount of responsibility and potential liability. An appropriate DM class will educate you about these concepts and prepare you to be a thinking DM. If this is your path then enjoy the process. Carrying tanks is the least of your worries.

Thanks, ScubaDocER, for your comments. I found them to be very helpful. I'm still not 100% sure where the Caribbean piece comes into play, but I fully appreciate how training in one environment and knowledge of certain dive sites would not make you a dive guide for all locations. It is nice to know that an independent instructor can be an option.

No, that is not my perspective at all. I think it's great if you want to DM for family, friends, or any other small groups, and you should be certified before doing so. It seems like you have the right motivation, which is you want to help people. There are skills required, but having the skills alone doesn't make a quality DM. Regardless of diving hours and skills a person may currently have, everyone should be evaluated under working conditions. You might be able to find someone willing to work around that, but they are not doing you a favor. I take certifying someone as a DM as serious business, as it is a license to lead people into dangerous situations, and I can never take back that card if I find out later they don't follow rules and good practices. I'm sure you'll do great and be an awesome DM. I just wanted to point out there are good reasons for having training programs/internships that last for an extended time period. People's true identities and motivations will eventually surface.
Again, I wish you the best of luck!

Jill,

If you want to lead dives mainly for family and friends, do you really need to be a DM to do that? For example, I have been to Little Cayman numerous times. Most of the time there will be at least 16 or more in our group. Some of the group will follow the DM, some will go off on their own, and I've had quite a few folks ask if the can follow me because my sense of direction is pretty good and I always bring us back to the boat. Don't need to be a DM to do something like that.

Jill,

If you want to lead dives mainly for family and friends, do you really need to be a DM to do that? For example, I have been to Little Cayman numerous times. Most of the time there will be at least 16 or more in our group. Some of the group will follow the DM, some will go off on their own, and I've had quite a few folks ask if the can follow me because my sense of direction is pretty good and I always bring us back to the boat. Don't need to be a DM to do something like that.

If it were that informal, then I wouldn't see a need for it. I'm thinking of situations where others would have expectations of service and experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom