Naui Tech opinions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SailNaked

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What is your opinion of the Naui Tech course? I have several options I can take the TDI,padi or Naui courses, each has its advantages and disadvantages as far as logistics and cost. My underlying question is really - "Does it matter?" I think cost is almost not a factor, the Naui one may cost me a little extra due to travel and time but has the advantage of being in mostly clear water, while the other 2 are in mud.

I know it depends on the instructor but lets assume all the instructors know what they are talking about and have been diving a few times and teach the standards as they should be.

The main pro to doing a naui course is that they offer and entry level course with helium and only dive nitrox to 130ft and helium after that .

Tdi advanced nitrox/deco procedures is an air/nitrox only course and is behind the times in that respect

I know it depends on the instructor but lets assume all the instructors know what they are talking about and have been diving a few times and teach the standards as they should be.

This should only be the beginning assumption when considering an instructor. Beyond that, you should learn what the instructor's teaching style is and whether it meshes with you learning style. This is especially important in technical courses where the instructor's job is to make things go wrong and see how you respond to the situation. Regardless of the agency, your class could be challenging, yet fun as you learn what you are and are not capable of doing underwater or it could be a miserable experience where you walk away cursing the instructor.

Beyond that, pick the agency who's standards you agree with most and who has instructors most convenient to your location (or the location where you want your training to take place).

This should only be the beginning assumption when considering an instructor. Beyond that, you should learn what the instructor's teaching style is and whether it meshes with you learning style. This is especially important in technical courses where the instructor's job is to make things go wrong and see how you respond to the situation. Regardless of the agency, your class could be challenging, yet fun as you learn what you are and are not capable of doing underwater or it could be a miserable experience where you walk away cursing the instructor.

Beyond that, pick the agency who's standards you agree with most and who has instructors most convenient to your location (or the location where you want your training to take place).

Emphasis on the bolded lines above.

I took Adv. Nitrox/Deco/Helitrox with one Naui Tech instructor ... and Trimix 1/2 with a different NAUI Tech instructor.

Both were good ... to my concern, excellent ... instructors. Both were competent and thorough. The first was way more experienced than the second. But the second had a teaching style that was more compatible with how I best learn. And I subsequently felt more comfortable taking the class with him.

I think tech is way more about the instructor than recreational diving is ... but compatibility plays as much a role in effective learning at this level as competence does.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Another vote for the instructor, because having the wrong instructor (even if the person is experienced in both the diving he is teaching and in the teaching) can make a class a really demoralizing experience. Don't ask me how I know.

But do look at the description of the classes, because as already stated, you have some decisions to make. I like NAUI, GUE and UTD because you start helium immediately. I believe there are also some differences in the decompression planning tools that are used.

Hi SailNaked,

I recently went through the same process.

I was certified in 1978 with NAUI and the instructor was great, he became a mentor and friend. I stayed with NAUI for a "Sport Diver" class (OWII or Advanced), Rescue, Assistant Instructor and finally did my ITC in 1985. I stayed with NAUI because I found the way they did (do) things matched my personality and attitude towards diving.

In the late 80's and early 90's I was diving wrecks and walls that would now be considered tech dives - we did have doubles and deco O2, but no helium and no specific training - just mentoring and stealing from the Florida cave diving community.

Fast forward to this past August. I wanted to update myself given the technology and training that was now available for tech diving. I wanted to stay with NAUI, but here on the wet coast of Canada, NAUI has completely disappeared... as far as I can tell. I could not find a NAUI tech instructor. So, I talked with an exploratory tech diver buddy and he suggested that the agency mattered less than a good instructor. So, I've just finished the first couple of courses with a DSAT instructor. He is a good instructor - always available if I have questions, concerns or issues and has what I think is a balanced approach. I think his courses and teaching style is a good fit for me. I have to admit, though, I'd be lying if I told you I'm only somewhat curious about how different a NAUI course/instructor would have been...

So, I'd suggest you talk to a prospective instructor and interview them - as much as they should want to interview you as a prospective student. The other points to consider are the methodologies of the agency - helium now or later, ratio deco or computers, for example.

Like most have already said, take the time to find a good instructor and enjoy the class. Oh, be prepared to learn to dive all over again!

Hope that helps.

Lee

The main pro to doing a naui course is that they offer and entry level course with helium and only dive nitrox to 130ft and helium after that

This is slightly incorrect. NAUI allows Helitrox to be breathed right off the bat in shallow applications during its courses. There is no requirement that Nitrox be breathed to 130 feet. Helitrox can and generally is breathed shallow and END's are kept to 100 feet or less.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom