NAUI vs PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sail-fish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Tried posting this somewhere else bit couldnt post for some reason.

My Fiancee is looking to get her dive masters and eventually instructors certificate so that when we are travelling we are able to take people out diving on our yacht and potentially work for dive companies as we travel around. The dive shop she has done her past courses through want to take her through the NAUI qualifications to this
level rather than the PADI. Is anyone able to advise whether this would cause problems later down the track? Not being a PADI instructor that is. I thought it might be that PADI seems more popular, but then I'm only a beginner diver and not to sure what is out there around the world. We are looking at drifting around diving anywhere and everywhere we can.

Many thanks for any advice you can give.

Mike

PADI cert's about 75% of the total divers around the world. I was in Roatan last year and all but one were PADI and the other was SSI. A friend of mine was trying to get hired in Maui but they all wanted him to convert from SSI to PADI. Your wife could always get NAUI dive master now then convert but its pretty spendy instructor convert was over 2000 dollers for SSI to PADI!

PADI is by far the largest agency, but NAUI is quite well represented. Many shops like being able to offer certifications from various agencies. It's only the 5 star shops that require PADI. If she's happy with NAUI, she should stick with NAUI. Besides, it sounds like the majority of her instruction will be independent.

Robert Frost:
TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

You have a yacht and your wife wants to be a scuba instructor? Get some good insurance and rock solid wavers of liability :)

Of course, you are in New Zealand. They may not be law suit crazy down there.

PADI cert's about 75% of the total divers around the world. I was in Roatan last year and all but one were PADI and the other was SSI. A friend of mine was trying to get hired in Maui but they all wanted him to convert from SSI to PADI. Your wife could always get NAUI dive master now then convert but its pretty spendy instructor convert was over 2000 dollers for SSI to PADI!

If you were stay sport divers and not go professional, I'd say go with the best instructors, especially those that you know.

However, if you seriously want to go pro and travel, you'd better go PADI. It's just what Ky said - everywhere you go it's "PADI PADI PADI". And it's not just the 5 star.

I feel bad for you that you have to leave your NAUI friends, but I don't feel bad for you that you have the luxury of sailing/playing around on your yacht!

drdaddy

The MAJORITY of the resort world internationally is PADI based.

It may be hard to hear, but its the truth. If you are considering working with a commercial partner on your travels - change now - NAUI operations are very limited and in my opinion loosing ground.

If all you want to do is dive with your mates, the instructor is more important than the agency, but if you want larger job opportunities - PADI is the only way to go.

I am PADI instructor and proud of it. When I started i didn't know what was what or whom was whom. I was first exposed to a Naui Instrucotr that i felt had bad business practices but that has nothing to do with Naui.

I later started taking my PADI classes and my instructor is now and will always be one of my best friends, hads nothing to do with PADI.

My point is both organizations are great but it is all about the people you surround your self with. I am PADI by choice and enjoy their vast Instrucotor's support, advice, training and network. From a professional point of view it is like BETA and VHS, well we know what happened to BETTA.

Knowing what i know now PADI was a good choice for me and professionallly it is great to have acceptance all over the world. If i were to move and seek employment it is obvious what is the better choice, why fight the system. You have to look at your own marketabliltiy.

Definately if you got any large amount of money you had best think about how sue happy america is. I just read today some people are suing mcdonalds because they sale french frys. The base of their suit is that it makes kids obeist. So just consider that when you go for your certs that in america no matter what happens its always someone elses fault.

Also consider waivers are really nothing more then paper anymore because if it goes to a jury trial its not what is written or signed for its what 12 people decide you did righ or wrong. Again life in America.

But as far as for certs Id recommend Padi. Just remember its kind of like resale value in cars. Youll get more when you have a name brand not some small off brand no one knows. (Yes I know NAUI is a big name it was a figure of speach sheeesh)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom