Nauticam NA-EM5 housing for OMD E-M5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PHIL RUDIN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
The Nauticam NA-EM5 housing for the Olympus OMD E-M5 was announced today in the US and I thought a new thread was in order to seperate it from the Olympus E-M5 housing thread. I posted some of the things I like about this housing over at Wetpixe, I have moved them here and added a few more.

In the Nauticam NA-EM5 housing they have moved the main O-ring to the rear door which will make it much eaiser to service over being on the main body. The housing, like all of the Nauticam DSLR housings comes with a pickup viewfinder for the EVF and the Option to add the 45 and 180 degree accessory finders. Nauticam supports all of the excellent lenses for the M4/3 system like the 8 ifsheye, 7-14 zoom and 45 macro. I also like that the video on/off is out of the way of the rear push controls where it won't be as easy to turn on by accident. New ports have been designed for the 12-50 with power zoom control and access to the macro button and a new port is coming for the Olympus 60 mm maceo which has focus limit controls for the macro range, the only lens made that I am aware of that has this ability to limit within a small macro range so the lens won't "hunt". Another thing I like about this housing is what appears to be a new approach to pricing by Nauticam started I believe with the $1200.00 Panasonic NA-GX1 housing and now the $1350.00 NA-EM5 housing. This beings the housing cost more in line with the pricing of the cameras unlike the NEX-7 housing which is $1850.00. This also puts the housing very close to the cost of the Olympus branded housing when you consider the cost of an additional port or two as you expand your system. At this point no really good solution for adding a 45 or 180 accessory viewfinder to an Olympus housing is available. For those how care the Nauticam housing is rated to 100 meters while the Olympus is rated to 45 meters, not a big issue for most sport divers but some will like the idea.

Regarding use of the after market ports for the Olympus PEN housing like the excellent ZEN 8mm fisheye port know this. One of the excellent features of ALL Nauticam housings is the PATENTED port mounting system. Zen Underwater makes a few optical glass ports for the Nauticam DSLR housings not covered by Nauticam and Nauticam makes port adapters for several ports from Iklite, Subal, Sea & Sea and more. At this time they do not make an adapter for Olympus DSLR housing ports or for Pen housing ports.

The E-M5 is by far the best Olympus camera to date and the over thirty-three lenses made for M43 give it an edge over all the other non-M43 mirrorless cameras and put it on par with most of the DSLR's using the APS-C size sensors.

Note that in the press release photo attached that the compact Panasonic 14-42 power zoom is shown in the 45mm macro port, don't know if a gear is being made for that lens as well.

Phil Rudin

NAEM506.jpg

Ughhhhh .... Phil, I think I am going to be spending some money later this year ......
Cancelled my online order for the E-M5 overseas, looks like I will be able to get it locally quite soon. Just hope the price isn't too steep.

Hi Andy,

I have had the camera for about two months now and can't find much I don't like about it. I got mine with the battery grip which is well worth the price if you shoot out of the water much. I had to order after market battries for the power grip because Olympus battries are still on back order. Olympus fans have a lot to be happy about with this new system.
Phil

Thanks for this new thread, answers what I needed to know. Without a doubt I'll be ordering an E-M5 with FL300R as soon as they are readily available on Amazon. While I don't need the Nauticam housing, I'm sure willpower will decrease until i break down and buy it. Guess I'll sell my E-PL1 & PT housing in the near future.

I am very excited about this offering, and we have ordered several of these housings already. Like Phil said, Nauticam has priced the housing very good at $1,350 - although not as good as the GX1 housing at $1,200 :)

Here's another photo of the housing.

EM5_3301_wm.jpg

I really like how the housing has an optional bulkhead. Shooting with strobes should be much faster with an electrical sync cord. I also really like the 2 programmable function buttons of the OM-D.

>> Note that in the press release photo attached that the compact Panasonic 14-42 power zoom is shown in the 45mm macro port, don't know if a gear is being made for that lens as well.

There is definitely a zoom gear for that lens, I've had one on back-ordered for quite a while :) I hear they are shipping soon. I like that lens.

I know the Olympus 12-50mm port and zoom gear is being worked on, but I don't believe they will be ready yet when the housing ships. The Olympus 60mm macro lens sounds incredible, but everyone will have to wait until at least the fall for this lens. Keep an eye on our Nauticam E-M5 housing page for the latest updates.

Our store manager Kelli, who has used the E-PL1, GX1 and E-PM1 extensively, will be doing an OM-D review this weekend, so stay tuned!

Scott

---------- Post Merged at 01:28 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:25 PM ----------

Thanks for this new thread, answers what I needed to know. Without a doubt I'll be ordering an E-M5 with FL300R as soon as they are readily available on Amazon. While I don't need the Nauticam housing, I'm sure willpower will decrease until i break down and buy it. Guess I'll sell my E-PL1 & PT housing in the near future.

Let us know when you get your E-M5! While I really like the Olympus housings, I think the ease of port changes alone will make the Nauticam housing worth it, because I don't think the price difference will be as large as, for example the Olympus / Nauticam PL-3 price difference. But I could be wrong.

Scott

I couldn't stand it any longer, during my lunch break I ordered an out of stock silver E-M5 w/ 12-50 kit lens, lens hood, and FL-300R flash from Amazon Prime. Flash and lens hood both in stock. Selected overnight delivery for the E-M5 (only $3.99 for prime members). While i was placing my order at noon, Amazon had 3 black kits w/ 12-50 in stock. It was very hard not to get the all black kits, but IMHO silver trimed E-M5 looks better so I'm willing to wait.

The Nauticam NA-EM5 housing at a resonable price is what caused me to go ahead and order the OM-D E-M5 today. Now I'll have to work on getting the adapters so I can use my two ZEN domes from E-PL1.

Tripntx,

Not to sound like a broken record but U/W photography equipment stores like Back scatter, Blue Water, Optical Ocean, Reef Photo and others sell the E-M5 at the same set price as Adorama, Amazon, BH photo and others photo equipment sellers.

If we are not supporting these U/W photo stores they won't be around to provide us with the expert advice and quality equipment they stock. Amazon and BH photo will be fine without your sale.

just a thought.

Phil Rudin

Scott I wish I had known that you were stocking this camera ! I was really hoping to take it on a 5 day hiking trip this coming week, but the supplier could not get stock in time even though I ordered it over a month ago.
So now I will be lugging my E-3 along !
If it is not available locally at a decent price when I return I will certainly give you a shout ....

I do look forward to reading the review, If this camera works out for me I may well end up housing it.
Then what to do with 2x E-3's, housing, ports and 4/3rds lenses ............

Tripntx,

Not to sound like a broken record but U/W photography equipment stores like Back scatter, Blue Water, Optical Ocean, Reef Photo and others sell the E-M5 at the same set price as Adorama, Amazon, BH photo and others photo equipment sellers.

If we are not supporting these U/W photo stores they won't be around to provide us with the expert advice and quality equipment they stock. Amazon and BH photo will be fine without your sale.

just a thought.

Phil Rudin

The housing and ports will come from one of our UW photo dealers, I hadn't even thought about the camera itself. I primarily purchased camera and flash from Amazon because the flash rebate is only good if they are purchased together at the same time. Picking up the phone to call Scott and ask a question about getting the Camera & FL-300R from him.

---------- Post Merged at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:34 PM ----------

Called Scott, he has a black E-M5 in stock if anybody is looking for one.

He didn't have the silver E-M5 in stock or FL-300R flash. He can order them if anybody else is looking to get the combo for rebate, and it sounds like he can get them in a decent amount of time. Made me want to order from him. Sooooooooooooooo, I logged into Amazon to cancel by orders, but the Flash has already shipped.

Back on track with Nauticam NA-EM5 housing. It is the housing I will want for my E-M5. I have re-read everything I could find on them in this forum to understand better about the PEN ZEN Dome ports. Scott said there was not an adapter available to use ZEN Dome ports from PEN housings.
Called ReefPhoto, was placed on hold for a moment, then told it would not be possible to build an adapter to mate PEN style ZEN Domes to Nauticam housings. ZEN does make Glass Domes to fit Nauticam housings, and Nauticam has several arcylic domes for M4/3 lens.

I want to pre-order this NA-EM5 now, the problem is I'm not ready to spend more more of ports at this time. The 7-14mm & 8mm FE ZEN Domes for my PEN housing where a lot of money.

Hi Phil,
I contacted Edward Lai about the possibility of using Nauticam ports with the Olympus PEN system and I have included his answer for everyone's information.

Quote (Hi Bruce,

Sorry for the late reply as I don't have the time to check this site as frequently as I wish.

There is a problem that our port diameter is bigger than the Olympus housing opening, and for that reason we have not been able to build adapters for using our ports on Olympus housings. Besides, the distance of the housing mounts (where we attach the ports) to the camera front surfaces are also different.

I do know that Zen has made several ports for using with Olympus housings.

Best regards,

Edward

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by terson
Hi Edward,
It's great to see Nauticam going so well, i remember our early conversations when you were busy trying to set up and now you are such a successful company. . .congratulations.
I'm currently usinfg an Olympus EPL-2 in an Olympus housing but I'm wondering about using Nauticam ports with my Olympus housing? I know that Nauticam ports can change the different bayonet mounts for their different ports and I'm wondering if Nauticam makes a bayonet mount for the Olympus PT-EP03 housings?
Kindest regards,
Bruce )quote

As you can see, I don't think there is going to be any activity in this area?
Bruce

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom