Nautilus Lifeline

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep. 406MHz signal straight up to the SAR satellites, while the DSC & VHF might get received IF a boat happens to sail near by you within a mile.

Also as I mentioned before, many liveaboards are now provide MRG for free loan to their guests.

So with the PLB1 it sounds like unlimited range and locations whereas about 1 mile for MRG hmm....

So with the PLB1 it sounds like unlimited range and locations whereas about 1 mile for MRG hmm....

And IF the boat passing by happens to have AIS or monitor channel 16 or DSC for receiving the distress signal from your MRG.

Why would you NOT want a locator beacon to be known as yours? Or registered in your name? I dont get it.

Most likely because its difficult to register in many countries.
Using a VHF/DSC is officially a GMDSS piece of equipment and you need at least a Marcom B or limited GMDSS license to operate it and a licence to carry it and for the use of the frequencie.
Thats more or less the same for a 406mhz epirb. Same as if younwould like a VHF on your boat you need an operator license and a installation permit/licence.

Most likely because its difficult to register in many countries.
Using a VHF/DSC is officially a GMDSS piece of equipment and you need at least a Marcom B or limited GMDSS license to operate it and a licence to carry it and for the use of the frequencie.
Thats more or less the same for a 406mhz epirb. Same as if younwould like a VHF on your boat you need an operator license and a installation permit/licence.
WOAH!!!! WAIT A MINUTE!!! Seriously dude, I need to know if you are telling the truth. Im about to buy both and I have zero licences or permits to be a damn hamm shortwave radio operator.

I am NOT going to get permits to use these distress beacons. I need people to chime in here. Is this guy on the level? I dont want to shell out five hundred dollars and find out this is a scam

I needed to register my PLB1 here in the netherlands, but don't need any licence.
In the US, I think you need to register it with NOAA

My PLB1 I had extended it to 9/2019, but haven’t got a chance to update the sticker on it, yet.

5A374974-208B-483D-AD7F-48C2FEF58757.jpeg

I've got one. I used it once. It didn't work because the boat captain had turned his radio down at the time and so he didn't hear me. I did not use "emergency" mode, only chat mode. I may very well have had a response if I hit the big red button but the situation didn't call for that. Here's my account of the incident: Scary ending to a great night dive

I also lost the radio during that incident, and nautilus contacted me after seeing the post. They sold me a replacement at a much cheaper price than I paid for the first one.

I think I'd rather have an epirb, but I do still carry my lifeline radio on any ocean dive.

WOAH!!!! WAIT A MINUTE!!! Seriously dude, I need to know if you are telling the truth. Im about to buy both and I have zero licences or permits to be a damn hamm shortwave radio operator.

I am NOT going to get permits to use these distress beacons. I need people to chime in here. Is this guy on the level? I dont want to shell out five hundred dollars and find out this is a scam
NOAA - Search and Rescue Satellite Aided Tracking - Register Your Beacon

Why would you NOT want a locator beacon to be known as yours? Or registered in your name? I dont get it.

Radios are supposed to be registered to a 'craft' but the government were allowing individuals to register. But now, I hear that the policy has changed, or you can't easily transfer a registration, or something like that. I think that someone was upset that the emergency system the Lifeline was using was for boats not people...

Search around on other Lifeline threads and you'll get the details.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom