Navy Corpsman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

john_w

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I would like to know if having been a Navy corpsman on independent duty and working as an EMT, all the while enjoying diving at uncle sams expense might qualify one for the rescue diver? Any comments? :vintagediver:

It would take care of the CPR and First Aid requirement if you're current

Other than what was stated above, NO.

Thanks I didn't think it did, I can now tell my freind.."I told you so!"

It would take care of the CPR and First Aid requirement if you're current

I was an EMT-I with thirteen years of experience, certified in two states, and the Rescue instructor wouldn't waive any of the class room requirements. :shocked2:

Apparently, it is at the instructors discretion.

If you had lifeguard experience you might be able to challange the course. Otherwise you still need training and must be able to show proficientcy doing in water rescue skills.

Now on a different topic, you are almost qualified to be a Diving Medical Technician (DMT). Chedk the National Board of Diving & Hyperbarric Medical Technology National Board of Diving and Hyperbaric Medical Technology

That trumps Emercency Response, Medic First Aid and DAN training.

I was an EMT-I with thirteen years of experience, certified in two states, and the Rescue instructor wouldn't waive any of the class room requirements. :shocked2:

Apparently, it is at the instructors discretion.

I had a current EMT-B and it was good enough for the guy that did my course, so there must be some latitude in the interpretation.

For the EFR (Emergency First Response) course - i.e. basic first aid / CPR and secondary care, any qualification which includes these things will be accepted by PADI, although they will need copies of the certification for verification. I have heard instances where first aid training has been refused - this is mostly because it's out of date. In one instance it was simply a quite obscure certification, although I also taught one guy who was certified by the company who owned the oil rig he worked on. PADI mailed the company for details of their training and it was indeed accepted.

It is most definitely not at the instructor's discretion. They should have contacted PADI (or other relevant agency) for confirmation. A short telephone call is often all that is necessary.

With respect to the Rescue Course itself, no standards will be waived regardless of prior diving experience should you enroll on the course. If you need a Rescue Diver type certification as a pre-requisite for another course (Starting a Divemaster or Dive Con course, for example), then recognised rescue diver training qualifies, and therefore one would not to enroll in the course in the first place. Being a diving EMT would not qualify in that respect.

Hope that helps

C.

I had a current EMT-B and it was good enough for the guy that did my course, so there must be some latitude in the interpretation.

Let me clarify my statement. He accepted a current National Registry EMT card as meeting only the pre requistite CPR/First Aid requirement, not for any part of the rescue class.

For the EFR (Emergency First Response) course - i.e. basic first aid / CPR and secondary care, any qualification which includes these things will be accepted by PADI, although they will need copies of the certification for verification. .....

It is most definitely not at the instructor's discretion. They should have contacted PADI (or other relevant agency) for confirmation. A short telephone call is often all that is necessary......

C.

I was current in my EMT-I certification in both Utah and Nevada.
I was current in my certification as an American Heart CPR instructor.
I was certified as the Training Officer for my Utah agency.

You'll excuse my cynicism, but I think he wanted the additional fees for the EFR/CPR course.

Back
Top Bottom