NC Dive Charters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A bucking boat ladder is half the fun of diving Morehead....love diving there particularly with Tortuga.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

I felt 100% safe on your watch, Captain, even as you were tossing my arse around the boat. You were always professional and safe. :)

Completely agree with this and with the post it came from (don't know how to get them both). One of the reasons you hear about people getting "blown out" so much in MHC is that the operators won't run the trips when it's not safe. But the edge of a "safe" NC day can be far cry from easy Caribbean diving.

Completely agree with this and with the post it came from (don't know how to get them both). One of the reasons you hear about people getting "blown out" so much in MHC is that the operators won't run the trips when it's not safe. But the edge of a "safe" NC day can be far cry from easy Caribbean diving.

Kate, ask Beth if she feels the same way. :wink: You guys experienced one of those days that at one point I wished we had stayed in port. It is amazing how fast you can forget a brutal ride to the dive site when you get 70' of viz and a following sea home.

To the OP, if you're lucky, you may have a humpback whale breech the water over a dozen times for ya like we did in May. :D

TDFleming, You HAD to hire a divemaster? With Olympus? On which wreck?

MJGoodman:
If you go out of Beaufort/Morehead City, Discovery and Olympus usually offer 1/2 day trips to the Indra if you either 1: Don't want to spend 7-8 hrs on a boat or 2: are inexperienced with NC wreck diving. The Indra is a nice inshore wreck. If you're unsure about the weather, wait a day or 2 before the charter before reserving a spot. You might be able to judge a good day. Winds less than 15 and seas 2-4 is generally not bad. But the weather man has been wrong more than once! Take your seasick meds and go dive. If you get "blown-out", consider Radio Island. Walk-in shore dive.

Discovery Diving Co.- NC's Diving Headquarters - Discovery Diving Co.

And book aboard Sea Quest II.

Matt:
If I were to listen to anyone, it would be Herman. I just did my first NC dive over the long holiday weekend. I did only in shore dives and the boat ride out to them to was no less than 45 min but more like a little over an hour. As for sea sickness, he is spot on. We started the meds the day before, then the day of and still felt a little green. The most that I could get in during the day was 2 dives. We dove both Olympus and Discovery. I like Discovery better, boat was not as crowded (the middle seats were not there). Our first dive was with Olympus and the boat was packed and in order for you to bend over and put fins on and such your head was in someone elses crotch. Also, because it was our first dive there, we HAD to hire a DM. And, we are glad we did. All three of our boat dives that weekend were with someone that has dove that area a lot, DM or inst. From what I have been told, you may be able to get in with the in shore boat dives easier. Yes, not the 352, but gives you a taste of NC. At this point I would not even consider doing the off shore dives until I have been diving longer. I see that you have a bit more diving under your belt than I do, but I would suggest doing an in shore first. I wore my 5m and I was cold at about 20 min into the dive. I wore thin gloves on one and went to my 5m gloves. I wore a 3m beanie and 7m booties. I should have added my 3m shortie over top of my 5m. Don't expect any special help or attention from anyone. This is very much a DYI type of place. Hotels are expensive in this area and they are not great hotels either.

Speaking of Radio Island, we saw what looked like small black spiders while diving. Does anyone know what they are?? We asked a couple of people while there but no one knew what we were talking about.

They're Sea Spiders (really, no kidding!!)

RISeaSpider.jpg

A Sea Spider for TDFleming. Arrow Crabs like to eat them.

Yep, HAD to hire a DM using Olympus. Told that because it was our first boat dive and our first time out there we had to. Which I wanted to anyway, since it was our first time out. I was very upfront when I booked, letting them know everything, how many dives, where, and this was our first time there and I did not include pool dives into our dive count :eyebrow: It was the Indra. I don't regret it. Even husband said when all done, that he was glad we did. Which does not happen too often.

Sea Spiders, how orginal. But will tell daughter what they are. But another of lifes great mysterys solved and by SBers. I will now be able to sleep at night :wink: But really, there were many down there and many urchines. It was unbelivable how many of both.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom