NC/VA Coast Trip in October?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring

Beyond the Pale
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone free then? We have been talking about putting it together for a while now...

Lynnhaven - VA Beach
URL to site with schedule and wreck descriptions

Sat. Oct 5 - L:8a Tower/Reef
Sun. Oct 6 - L:8a Br Spike

Sat. Oct 12 - ML:8a Dixie Arrow & L:8a Morgan
Sun. Oct 13 - ML:8a Proteous & L:8a Tower/Santore

Sat. Oct 19 - L:8a Tower/Reef
Sun. Oct 20 - ML:8a B Splendour & L:8a Kurn

Sat. Oct 26 - ML:8a Dixie Arrow & L:8a Cuyahoga
Sun. Oct 27 - ML:8a Proteous & L:8a Tower/Reef

** ML = Miss Lindsey, L = Miss Lauren (LDC's boats)

Wreck Master Divers - VA Beach
Schedule
Click arrow for October schedule!

Discovery - Beaufort, NC
Schedule

Olympus- Morehead City, NC
Schedule

Divequarters/Flying Fish
Doesn't look like they are going out in October...put here for reference because they serve grilled hot dogs during the SI...
Schedule

Sounds good to me, if its at a level that I can handle :). Me being the newb and all.

Oh and if a 7/5mm wetsuit is warm enough :)

I’m diving with Olympus September 27-28 so the end of October sounds good to me. I have never dived from Virginia Beach so that would be fun and it looks like a lot less of a drive.

Mike

That way those of us with Columbus day off have all day Monday to rinse gear, do laundry, etc. etc.

I called and talked to Lynnhaven today and they have openings for these dives on the 12th and 13th:

Sat. 12th
Miss Lindsey in Hatteras
Dixie Arrow - depth 100' - $65

Miss Lauren in VA Beach
Morgan - depth 110' - $75

Sun. 13th
Miss Lindsey in Hatteras
Proteous - depth 130' - $80

Miss Lauren in VA Beach
Tower Reef - 55' - $45

So, if we do the Hatteras thing (5-6 hour drive) it will be $145 and lodging. If we go the VA Beach route it will be $120 and either lodging or driving back (3.5 hours).

My vote is probably for Hatteras, but that will depend on who all is going. We can always change if people or circumstances affect the schedule. I spoke with Kim down at Lynnhaven and anyone can call up and talk to her about the dives and get questions answered. They are looking for at least AOW and some dives in the 80-100' range. She was very helpful and said that anyone who wasn't sure about their qualifications for these dives could call her and talk to her about it.

Her number is 757.481.7949

If you want to go, please get on the horn with her and get yourself a slot...I am going to try to reserve mine today as soon as I am sure at least one other person is going.

Another option to build experience would be for some people to just come down for the Sunday Tower Reef dive and skip the Sat. wreck dive.

Wouldn't VA Beach need lodging too if we did a Sat and Sun?

Oh and the Columbus day thing is a good idea :) But since I lost my job today I dont think it will matter much to me anyway :surprise:

I do want to go so count me in.

Kevin

Kevin,
Sorry to hear about your job. Let us know if there is anything we can do (other than get you underwater so you don't think about it :) )

Maybe someone is trying to tell you that you should be a scuba instructor?

I would call Kim at Lynnhaven and make sure everything is squared away...she did a short phone interview thing with me and it wasn't too unpleasant :wink:

Which boat should I say i want to sign up for tho? I think I am a bit confused.

LoL i was thinking about hitting up the dive shop for a job :) But I really enjoy Web development, just sucks the job market is so bad.

Some bubble therapy sounds good :) Glad I own all my gear otherwise I would be screwed. hehe

I talked to someone that was interested in going to Hatteras, but then I talked to someone else who was interested in VA Beach. I guess we will have to see who all wants to go and then decide. The pros and cons, IMHO, are listed below:

Hatteras
PROS - great vis, great temps, larger boat with compressor on board, Tombiowami from NC may join us.

CONS - far to drive, costs more, both dives are deep wrecks (100'-130') and we may have problems getting everyone authorized to go

Virginia Beach
PROS - short drive, second day is shallow so anyone having problems getting on the boat for the Morgan dive could dive that with no problems and get a good bottom time on a small tank, cheaper

CONS - vis not as good as hatteras, temp not as warm as hatteras, smaller boat

I have not been on the Dixie Arrow, the Proteus, or Tower Reef, but Rolf and I have been on the Morgan a couple of times...good wreck...lots of ammo, planes, tanks, etc. on the bottom since she was carrying a lot of ordinance when she went down. We also saw a pod of dolphin last time we were on the Morgan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom