NC/VA Coast Trip in October?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure what you guys are doing, but I thought it would be good to discuss it....here is my tentative plan...

Sat. - Dixie Arrow - 90 fsw - I will do the first dive on AL80 doubles with 38% (ppo2 1.4@89fsw) or so and since the Lindsey has a compressor on board I will top the doubles back off to about 30% for the second dive.

I will get my doubles refilled that night and pick up a rental tank both with 30%...(ppo2 1.4@121fsw)

Sun. - Proteus - 120 fsw - I will do the first dive with my doubles at 30% or so and then use a large single tank with 30% (100-120) for the second dive.

I'm going to rent 2 large single tanks. (sigh... Wish I had double for the proteus)

Before going down there I'll probably give them a call and find the lowest point on those wrecks where there is something interesting to see. I think the Dixie Arrow is 100' to the sand and the Proteus is 130' to the sand.

If there is something _really_ interesting to see in the sand I'll prolly do 35%(1.4@99) for the Dixie Arrow and 28%(1.4@132) for the Proteus. If there is cooler stuff to see shallower I might use a richer mix just to get longer bottom time. (I'm going to have to look at the table.)

It would make sense for buddy pairs to have similar mixes. Speaking of which -- any ideas on what that would look like? Normally it wouldn't be as much of an issue but since these dives are deeper, what does everyones SAC look like? (I'm about .46-.5 relaxed and .6-.7 stressed)

Also experience? The deepest I've been so far is 102' on the Adolphous Busch. The Proteus anyway will be my deepest dive to date.

It would be really cool if I could get hold of HP120s... But I don't think I could rent those! Will prolly have to go for AL100s or steel 95s.

It would make sense for buddy pairs to have similar mixes. Speaking of which -- any ideas on what that would look like? Normally it wouldn't be as much of an issue but since these dives are deeper, what does everyones SAC look like? (I'm about .46-.5 relaxed and .6-.7 stressed)

Bob B. and Bill W. will buddy up since they will be diving doubles, scootering, and maybe doing deco.

As far as the others go, I am not sure...Let me get a handle on who all is going and we will figure it out then.

Also experience? The deepest I've been so far is 102' on the Adolphous Busch. The Proteus anyway will be my deepest dive to date.

Bob B. and Bill W. are trimix. I am not sure about everyone else, but I know Guilhem is French and CMAS trained (he is a good diver). I will get more info once we square everything up and find out for sure who all is going.

It would be really cool if I could get hold of HP120s... But I don't think I could rent those! Will prolly have to go for AL100s or steel 95s.

I know Diver's Getaway in Dale City rents 120s. You could try to give them a call and see if you can get them...I think they have 4 for rental.

The Miss Lindsey is going to the San Delfino on Sept 27th and coming back on the 28th. The boat will be leaving from VA Bch.

Robert:doctor:

Eric,

Just FYI, one of the reasons the 30% mix is recommended on the NC dives is that due to those lovely changing conditions many times the boats do not do the dives they had originally stated. Sooo, if you ended up on a 130' foot wreck, with 38%....

I guess on the Lindsey you could get a refill, but would be a pain and I think I read they don't do fills in transit.

Just something to consider.

Tommy

The Miss Lindsey has a compressor onboard. Usually, during surface intervals, tanks are refilled with air. If you bring a K bottle of O2, and a whip, you can do nitrox fills. Bring a He bottle, and you can have your trimix. I have been on a number of dives where this has been done. If you elect, you can have a nitrox fill topped with air. Say you have dbl 95's, and breathe it down to about 1/2, then top with air, you will usually go from 32% to 25 or 26%.

If you bring stage bottles, you can fill them from the K bottles and either to with air for a 50/50 or whatever.

robert:doctor:

Back
Top Bottom