NC/VA Coast Trip in October?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Columbus Day Trip

Ok, I talked to someone else and we have the 4 of us so far for the Columbus day trip. The person I talked to was more inclined to do the Hatteras trip, but she didn't feel that strongly about it either way. I could go either way myself, although I am leaning more toward the wrecks in Hatteras vs. the wreck I have already been on and a reef in va beach. Someone swing it one way or another...I really don't care enough to make a call and if someone feels strongly one way or another they should make the call.

The September Dive
This will either be Sept 29 on the Cuyahoga or the backup plan will be Oct 5 on the Brass Spike. I am going to call for charter availability tomorrow and pass along the info as soon as I talk to the operators.

The Hatteras trip sounds cool. All the wrecks sound exceptionally cool. I could do either one. I was thinking that it might be better to do a deep day and a shallow day. Even with an optimum nitrox mix you're only gonna get 10-20 min NDL on a 120-130' dive. (If it can't be done multi-level)

Some of those sound like they'd be very cool to dive after getting a bit of deco training. (which I'd like to do some day) Doing them both days would seem like kind of a waste for me -- you just wouldn't get to spend that much time in the water.

Ack!

You will kill me if you do the Cuyahoga on the 29th of Sept without me :) Thats my AOW and I will be in Lake Rawlings !!! woot hehe.

Just kidding, have fun if you go. Since I am out of a job for the most part think I should only do 1 trip in October :( I need to keep a little bit of reality so i dont blow through what i have saved.

The Hatteras trip sounds cool. All the wrecks sound exceptionally cool. I could do either one. I was thinking that it might be better to do a deep day and a shallow day. Even with an optimum nitrox mix you're only gonna get 10-20 min NDL on a 120-130' dive. (If it can't be done multi-level)

Matt, we were thinking the same thing when we talked about it. I will ask the operators about the wreck tomorrow and if it doesn't look diveable we can scout out the other trip. The wreck descriptions I have read say it has about 30' of relief on the stern and about 10 on the bow (Proteus)...that should be enough to get a decent dive in starting on the bow and working toward the stern (if conditions permit). The Dixie Arrow has around 25' of relief, which should also make it pretty diveable.

The ranges we are looking at then are:

Proteus - 90'-120'
Dixie Arrow - 65'-90'

The Columbus Day Trip
It looks like we can do the Miss Lindsey out of Hatteras. There are slots available and the dives are as follows (updated!).

Saturday - Dixie Arrow - 90' - not much to say here...sounds like a good dive!

Sunday - Proteus - 120 fsw (I spoke to one of the captains down there and he said a realistic average depth is 115') - They would prefer you have a redundant air source on this dive, so you may want to call and make sure they are ok with it if you are planning to just dive a single tank (you could stress your buddy skills and that your buddy is your backup gas). If it were me, I would DEFINITELY rent tanks unless you own 100s or larger. There is no way I would try this on an AL80... We have gotten some pretty good bottom times (I don't have my log book in front of me, but PM me if you want the specifics) on wrecks in this range with AL100s or ST95s.

As soon as someone confirms they are buying a boat ticket, I am on the phone with a credit card number...just let me know...

The September Dive
Sunday, September 29 - There is space available on the Cuyahoga trip so we may try to go for that one (sorry Kevin!). Depths will be around 120'.

Saturday, October 5 (this was the backup trip) - there is NO space on this trip to the Brass Spike with the Flying Fish out of VA Beach. Looks like it is the 29th or nothing until the 12-13th trip.

History of the USCGC Cuyahoga for those interested...

Thanks for the link...I hope we get to dive it! We will tell you all about it :eek:ut:

Sillygrendel and I just got boat tickets!

Saturday, Oct 12 - Dixie Arrow

Sunday, Oct 13 - Proteus

Have you guys bought boat tickets for this dive? I'd probably be up for it.

Question of logistics -- how far of a drive? When does the boat leave? etc...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom