NDR:Keys Tourist questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mrs.Prages

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a friend here at work who is going to be taking his whole non-diving family up to the keys. They are looking at staying at Hawk's Cay and have asked me some questions about what to do while they are there. They want to charter a boat for a fishing trip, so they are looking for some good suggestions on who to go with. THey want to find someone who will let them rent without other people on the boat. Also they wanted to know about the dolphin experience for the kids at the research center. I said I would throw this out and see if anyone had any ideas for how to entertain two young boys (between 8 and 12) in that area. They had heard about the 180 dollarish dolphin swim and were wondering what it consisted of and if anyone had any thoughts on it.

Thanks for any info you guys can give me.

Paula

Jetski rental maybe? And of course a drive down to Key West to the Mel Fisher Museum. May want to consider diving in the Emerald Lagoon up on the N end of Largo! It's a research facility in 30' where the Jules Verne Undersea Lodge is located. Viz isn't perfect there but there's a mockup Archaeological site, A research vessel with a bathysphere underneath it, and of course the Jules Lodge. Can pop up in the moon pool there if it's not occupied. Full service dive shop on the premises. One fee for all day diving too, seems I recall $25 per person. Hope this helps.

Hi
We have two boys same age,
Do Robbies for boat rental if you know wht your doing, nice range of boats,bring a GPS with you as it makes the trip more fun.and one night stop by Grab a Ice Cold beer and buy the boys a few buckets of fish and let them feed the Tarpon,Best buck spent in the KEYS!! Best Buck! See Robbies web site=BUT LOOK OUT FOR THE DIRTY WHITE PELICAN!! he is nasty and will try to atack the small kids to get the fish from their hands! My small guy got nailed and now we have a hit on that pelican!
www.robbies.com

Send me the $150.00 per kid! so I can buy beer! Read this>
Then Get up one a.m. EARLY feed the boys and tool up the road to "Theater Of The Sea",If your early as we do it each year your kids can get kissed by Dolphins, Kissed by Sea Lions, FOR FREE! Less the pass to the park, Its a neat clean fun tour and folks pay like $100.00 per kid to touch a Dolphin when it can all be had for free if your on the first tour's and your kids raise their hands for volunteer's!!! Bring photo and video gear as this you and yours will remeber for a lifetime!

Fishing, skip the boat unless you just like to tool around and take the kids on a fishing charter, The Capts. In the area are a hoot rates range from $50.00pp to $500.00+ I try to find a family to join us and its a blast and cuts charter cost's,If money is tight they have fishing group boats for a great rate and can be fun too!
Thats why they call me moneysavr! I am CHEAP!

Hawks Cay is sweet,I cant afford the rates but it is nice,with the pools and swiming the kids will have fun,order out pizza at night for them, give them game boy batterys or a DVD and enjoy ours do!

One thing KeyWest if you do a day trip,Its realy not for kids,young ones at least, lots of walking unless you do the coch train & the History they are too young and the sites -yes the sites can be a bit much for young eyes,

Dive safe!
Brad

OUR Boys,
Aaron gettin a Kiss=Sweet!

Mrs.Prages:
I have a friend here at work who is going to be taking his whole non-diving family up to the keys. They are looking at staying at Hawk's Cay and have asked me some questions about what to do while they are there. They want to charter a boat for a fishing trip, so they are looking for some good suggestions on who to go with. THey want to find someone who will let them rent without other people on the boat. Also they wanted to know about the dolphin experience for the kids at the research center. I said I would throw this out and see if anyone had any ideas for how to entertain two young boys (between 8 and 12) in that area. They had heard about the 180 dollarish dolphin swim and were wondering what it consisted of and if anyone had any thoughts on it.

Thanks for any info you guys can give me.

Paula
Contact the Consierge at Hawk's Cay. They can give your friend the lowdown, and help to coordinate all sorts of local activities. The Turtle Hospital in Marathon recently opened to the public. I'll bet the boys would enjoy that! Have lunch at the 7-Mile Grill (just north of the 7-Mile Bridge on the Gulf Side) in Marathon, then drive across the bridge to mile marker 37, and spend the afternoon exploring, swimming, snorkeling, or just relaxing on the beach at Bahia Honda State Park.

The Butterfly Conservatory in Key West is fabulous, as are the Wrecker's Museum (make sure to sit in the front row), and Mel Fisher's Treasure Museum. A full-day excursion to Fort Jefferson (on Garden Key in the Dry Tortugas) is both educational and fun, so long as seas aren't too rough. The ticket includes round-trip transportation, a tour of the fort, lunch, and snorkeling!

Sunset at Mallory Square is a daily tradition, complete with street performers and arts and crafts. I wouldn't hesitate to take the kids to Key West... just don't leave them unattended (there are lots of distractions), and be prepared to answer some potentially interesting questions!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom