Neat Little Tricks Are Good to Know

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of our most annoying hassles is getting hair out from under our masks so they don't leak. Some guys I know shave their heads, but this really isn't necessary.

Before I put on my hood or mask, I jump in and dip my head backwards in the water and then forward. With all my hair slicked back, I then pull the hood forward over my head and put my mask on.

Note that jumping in without your mask on your face will cause a lot of distress to some DM's on dive boats, so in that situation it's just better to take the mask off after you're in the water. But PLEASE - try to avoid putting it on your forehead.

Last edited:
I can testify that androgenic alopecia works, too

Not sure about the others, but if your "legs are too light", chances are really good that you're overweighted and the suit contains too much air, which is being used to offset the extra weight.

It's much better to be properly weighted than to "fix" a problem that doesn't really need to exist.

Also socks are mostly air space and won't actually make your feet more negative.

flots.

I've heard this, but really, I have the same problem. Even if I have a minimal amount of air in my dry suit, it will pool near my feel eventually because most of the time my feet are the highest point. When I dive using a dry suit I have to try to keep my legs out straight when I'm just sitting there not moving instead of bent a bit like when I dive wet. I don't know why this is such a surprise - the dry suit doesn't fit snugly, so the legs have plenty of room to balloon out and *all* the air in the dry suit can go there easily. Even if you have a minimal amount of air in the dry suit it will cause your feet to be floaty if all the air is there.

I use my BCD for buoyancy and just put enough air in the dry suit to make the squeeze go away. I'm 6' 5" and skinny so the dry suit may fit differently than on other people.

I've heard this, but really, I have the same problem. Even if I have a minimal amount of air in my dry suit, it will pool near my feel eventually because most of the time my feet are the highest point. When I dive using a dry suit I have to try to keep my legs out straight when I'm just sitting there not moving instead of bent a bit like when I dive wet. I don't know why this is such a surprise - the dry suit doesn't fit snugly, so the legs have plenty of room to balloon out and *all* the air in the dry suit can go there easily. Even if you have a minimal amount of air in the dry suit it will cause your feet to be floaty if all the air is there.
@SNorman: If your drysuit doesn't fit, you need to either have the drysuit tailored so that it fits better...or wear gaiters. The legs on my drysuit are baggy and gaiters provide a workable solution. They prevent too much air from pooling in the lower leg area. Give 'em a try.

@SNorman: If your drysuit doesn't fit, you need to either have the drysuit tailored so that it fits better...or wear gaiters. The legs on my drysuit are baggy and gaiters provide a workable solution. They prevent too much air from pooling in the lower leg area. Give 'em a try.

I don't have my own yet so it's a rental. :( Some people have recommended gaiters and I plan to try them on my next dry suit dive. Thanks for the reminder!

Another one of my favorite diving tricks is for finding a lost buddy during a night dive. Hold your light against your chest so that it gets dark. Then spin around slowly and look for the glow from your buddy's light. This works even in relatively low visibility.

Q-tip shows the very find sediment that settles around the area. I run one around, then counter the first way, and back around until they're spotless. A clean one applies the silicon.

I moisten the Q-tip in my mouth first to make sure there are no loose filaments on it and then run it around the edges. Then, I apply the silicon to the o-ring with my fingers. Last of all, I put a fresh moisture muncher in the housing.

I'm just being pedantic here, but silicon is what you're trying to keep out of the o-ring seal. Silicone is what you're trying to put back in :)

One of our most annoying hassles is getting hair out from under our masks so they don't leak. Some guys I know shave their heads, but this really isn't necessary.

I find that as I get older, hair is becoming less of a problem. Never seem to get hair in my mask.

Does calling it androgenic alopecia make it less depressing?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom