• No

Votes: 69 39.0%
  • Yes, a watch

Votes: 23 13.0%
  • Yes, second dive computer

Votes: 85 48.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So... you have all of the formulae in ZHL-16 between your ears? That's rather impressive. Kudos.
It’s really not that hard.
And in particular for ZHL16C it turns out that overnight all your loading is gone. So the multiday arguments here don’t apply to the model.

On days when I dive 3 or 4 times, my slow tissues are not clear the next morning according to ZHL16C. On multiple days, it builds, in my personal experience with my shearwaters. That is doing NDL dives. On longer deco dives, it would presumably be more collective in the slower tissues. I have no personal experience with that.

I haven't read all the replies but in the poll I picked "NO". This is not entirely accurate though because it all depends. With my usual home based shore diving I see no need for redundancy. I have dived these profiles enough times to know that nitrogen loading is not an issue, what limits dive times is the air in your tank "I use an analog SPG". When doing decompression dives I always carry a backup. If I was doing a multi day dive trip where nitrogen/O2 loading would be an issue I would definitely be carrying a backup so that I could continue diving if one stopped working.

2.6% of responding divers use tables and bottom timer. Probably safe to say that my original theory was correct- so few divers using them, so much less chance of an incident in that small population of divers rather than that method being safer than using technology.

It’s really not that hard.
And in particular for ZHL16C it turns out that overnight all your loading is gone. So the multiday arguments here don’t apply to the model.

I'd expect something along those lines to be on the *** V.S.O.P. curriculum... but we shouldn't let the facts spoil the fun.

Someone earlier said they were a commercial diver and uses tables. I may be absolutely and completely wrong, BUT I would think that commercial divers would dive more of the classic square profile, and therefore the tables are very accurate. I have looked at many of the graphs of my rec dives. I don't want to use multi-level dives because to me that implies a modified square profile, i.e. you go to a depth for a given amount of time and then you ascend to a specific depth for a given amount of time (maybe more than once) and then you surface. The graphs of my dives indicate "variable" depths. The computer keeps track of all of the depth changes and times them and then calculates the loading and unloading of N2 in my tissues. For my type of diving, a computer allows me to dive MY profiles safely. I don't push NDLs, but I have been close. I don't carry enough gas to deco sooooooo I watch my NDL and pay attention to other factors as well. So far, I have not had DCS in over 1200 dives. That doesn't mean that I won't get DCS on my next dive. Just be safe and dive smart.

Cheers -

As I tend to dive liveaboards - and hate the idea of missing even one dive due to a gear problem - I picked up a demo XP10 a couple of years ago as a back up to my Galileo Luna. I feel better knowing I have made the effort towards redundancy and have not regretted the modest investment in the XP10.

As I tend to dive liveaboards - and hate the idea of missing even one dive due to a gear problem - I picked up a demo XP10 a couple of years ago as a back up to my Galileo Luna. I feel better knowing I have made the effort towards redundancy and have not regretted the modest investment in the XP10.
I've never been able to tell what decompression algorithm the Subgear XP10 runs, do you know? Is it more or less conservative than your Luna?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom