• No

Votes: 69 39.0%
  • Yes, a watch

Votes: 23 13.0%
  • Yes, second dive computer

Votes: 85 48.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with you, as does @Centrals. We are all in agreement.

It was a rhetorical statement/question when he said to stay above your buddy/guide. It is clearly not a good or acceptable solution and a terrible idea, hence him (@Centrals) diving with 2 computers and why he suggests diving with at least 2. In fact, he also dives with a third.
The third one stay on land just in case I or someone else might need it.
There is a exclamation mark at the end of that particular sentence. Someone just like to misquote what I had said.

What made you think that it was an advice?

Sorry, I was wrong. I should have known from the way you write on SB all along, it was a decree not an advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think he was being sarcastic/rhetorical :)

You "think" but you aren't certain. What about an uninformed beginner and the uninitiated who reads it and takes it as an acceptable "advice"? This is a very common myth/bad advice we come across often with uninformed divers who actually believe it and hence it should always be pointed out that it is a bad advice and not to be taken lightly. It is our jobs (mine at least) as educators and as somebody who faces these issues on almost daily basis to point out bad advice and bad dive practices. Also note that not everyone here is a native speaker of the English language and can recognize the subtleties of punctuation or play of words in American English.

(I am talking about the "Stay above your buddy/dive guide on all subsequent dives!" part here.)

You "think" but you aren't certain. What about an uninformed beginner and the uninitiated who reads it and takes it as an acceptable "advice"? This is a very common myth/bad advice we come across often with uninformed divers who actually believe it and hence it should always be pointed out that it is a bad advice and not to be taken lightly. It is our jobs (mine at least) as educators and as somebody who faces these issues on almost daily basis to point out bad advice and bad dive practices. Also note that not everyone here is a native speaker of the English language and can recognize the subtleties of punctuation or play of words in American English.

(I am talking about the "Stay above your buddy/dive guide on all subsequent dives!" part here.)

I agree with you and think this is a very fair and valid point. I don’t think he was being this way, I know so, and was trying to be more polite by conveying it that way. Based on my many interactions with @Centrals, as well as knowing how this would play out in Cantonese (the language in Hong Kong where he lives) with the cultural quips, that is often a bad idea would be conveyed, chocked with rhetoric and sarcasm. It got lost in translation over the web and was not clear.

We all agree so all is good here.

I agree it’s important to highlight it’s a bad idea to stay above or at the same depth as your buddy and best to have you your own computer to be safest.

I own extra computers, and I take them when I go on a dive trip. I don't dive with two for ndls, they're strictly for "the next dive". I've never had a pooter fail. If I did have a failure, I'd just end the dive and surface normally. Guess at the optional safety stop, use the depth guage on your buddy's computer or just omit it. I always use nitrox. I'm always gas limited and miles away from NDL even on 4 dive days, so I'm not the least bit worried if I have to skip an optional stop. Then I'd wait till the next day to dive some more. Getting drunk in the pool at a dive resort isn't a terrible way to spend a day...

When I first started with cave classes, I wore both computers on ndl dives. Mostly because I wanted to get used to all that gear on me. Those days are over. I really enjoy diving with the minimum amount of "stuff" I can get away with. So much more enjoyable that way.

I agree with you and think this is a very fair and valid point. I don’t think he was being this way, I know so, and was trying to be more polite by conveying it that way. Based on my many interactions with @Centrals, as well as knowing how this would play out in Cantonese (the language in Hong Kong where he lives) with the cultural quips, that is often a bad idea would be conveyed, chocked with rhetoric and sarcasm. It got lost in translation over the web and was not clear.

We all agree so all is good here.

I agree it’s important to highlight it’s a bad idea to stay above or at the same depth as your buddy and best to have you your own computer to be safest.

Thank you!

I own extra computers, and I take them when I go on a dive trip. I don't dive with two for ndls, they're strictly for "the next dive". I've never had a pooter fail. If I did have a failure, I'd just end the dive and surface normally. Guess at the optional safety stop, use the depth guage on your buddy's computer or just omit it. I always use nitrox. I'm always gas limited and miles away from NDL even on 4 dive days, so I'm not the least bit worried if I have to skip an optional stop. Then I'd wait till the next day to dive some more. Getting drunk in the pool at a dive resort isn't a terrible way to spend a day...

When I first started with cave classes, I wore both computers on ndl dives. Mostly because I wanted to get used to all that gear on me. Those days are over. I really enjoy diving with the minimum amount of "stuff" I can get away with. So much more enjoyable that way.

What computers do you wear now on your dive trips?

What computers do you wear now on your dive trips?
Ratio iX3M and I keep a scubapro galileo in my save a dive bag. I sold my shearwater computers to help pay for the Ratio I bought this year.

Ratio iX3M and I keep a scubapro galileo in my save a dive bag. I sold my shearwater computers to help pay for the Ratio I bought this year.

Which iX3M version? How do you like it? and have you tried diving with the Galileo along with the iX3M to compare NDL's?

And, congratulations!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom