Need a gear listing for a newb.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark_Lide

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I will be taking a dive class on the Red Sea in the next few months and would like a listing of what equipment I should consider purchasing for a first time buyer. I know I've read some of the other posts telling everyone to talk to the shop, I'm not looking for brands and what not just a list of what I might expect to buy so I can have my own setup. The school that I will be using provides equipment to first time divers so thats no issue. If this is something I want to do long term I don't want to keep renting equipment.

Thanks in advance
Mark

To get thru class you'll need mask/fins/boots/snorkel - unless they're providing that. I suggest trying/buying a mask locally or at your destination - that's the one thing you want to fit well during your class so you can focus on drills and not clearing it constantly. If you buy all 4 instead plan to spend $100-300 for good basic dive gear.

Is Alabaster anywhere near any of these locations? - Divers Supply has a good reputation and decent prices. Retail Locations

After that if you continue, most people will eventually buy regulators, a BCD, and often a dive computer. Decent gear in a package starts around $1000 total. Here's an acceptable example of that: Aqua Lung Pro HD Essential Package - Packages & Combos - Scuba Gear I have what would be considered upper end in 2/3 categories so I'm into about $2800. A more technically focused computer can be 1/2 that by itself but there's also decent models for $200. Mine cost me $300 about 6 years ago.

Some sort of exposure protection also - if you wind up later diving in the Gulf of Mexico not much is needed but you should have a minimal wetsuit since even in warm water your core temperature lowers over multiple dives. Also if you plan to dive the rigs (you should when you have more experience) they're metal, rusty and sharp so having some neoprene in between isn't a bad idea. Coral is razor sharp also...lol. Full wetsuits run from $2-500 depending on features/thickness.

Add several hundred for all the things I've overlooked...Add another $5K if you get serious about u/w photography...lol. I have $3500 in video gear and don't own lights yet.

Another concern since you're starting your diving in the Red Sea is to look for internationally serviceable brands. Those are often the ones that have been around a while also - Aqualung, Scubapro, Mares, Oceanic, Cressi all make that list. They'll have extensive coverage around the globe - and as important - access to service parts.

have fun with your new addiction...

Thats the info I've been looking for. I'm sure the place where I'll be taking my class has a shop as well. All equipment for the class is provided. There are a few dive shops located close to where I live, when I get back home that is. I'm deployed to Egypt with the military at the moment and will be down around the Red Sea alot and figured it was worth it to try and get my certification while I'm there. Thanks for the info.

Thats the info I've been looking for. I'm sure the place where I'll be taking my class has a shop as well. All equipment for the class is provided. There are a few dive shops located close to where I live, when I get back home that is. I'm deployed to Egypt with the military at the moment and will be down around the Red Sea alot and figured it was worth it to try and get my certification while I'm there. Thanks for the info.

You might want to make sure when they say "all equipment" that it includes mask, fins, booties, and snorkel.
Not sure about in Egypt but here in the States most places I've seen will provide a BC, regulator, and tank but no exposure suit or mask, fins, etc as those are fit to you.

After that if you continue, most people will eventually buy regulators, a BCD, and often a dive computer.

I should think the first thing you'll want to buy is a dive computer, even if your class is teaching tables (you'd still need a depth gauge and a dive watch with them, a basic DC can easily be cheaper than those two together). Also, if you need an RX mask you might want to get that right away: that way you'll be able to see what the instructor is showing you. Rent the regs and BCD until you figure out what you like/want/need. E.g. the setup for diving in cold water is not the same as the kit you take with you to SE Asia on a commercial flight. So what you buy depends on where you want to go with it.

I agree that your own computer is very nice to have from day 1. What was just said is absolutely true: you must have a depth and timing device and this will cost you as much as an inexpensive computer. The computer will also have a logbook function, possibly a planning function and can also tell you temperature and average depth (helpful for calculating gas consumption). Go with a computer. If you decide to become a purist you can always sell it.

Where will you be training and diving?

I actually think buying a computer to use during class is a terrible idea. First off, learning to use a computer takes a decent amount of time on its own. You've got plenty to concentrate on with your OW cert. And trying to learn what a computer does for you before you understand how the tables work is just asking for disaster IMO.

I just had my kids certified and I would not let them use a computer, to the point where I bought them their own analog gauges. They can add a wrist computer later, after they have a good understanding of computing NDLs using the tables. No reason to rush into this purchase IMO. You won't (shouldn't) be going deep enough as a novice to truly benefit from a computer, anyway.

Besides mask/snorkel/fins, I think the most personal piece of gear is the BCD. If it's not comfortable and/or moves around, you probably aren't having as much fun as you should be. I would consider trying several on and picking one out for yourself before you start the class. This way, the instructor will be there to help you figure out how much weight you need and how to set your trim in your own BC.

mark lide In your shoes I'd buy snorkel mask and fins. -that's it--Total.
wait until you have done a class or three before buying any other gear.

I agree with Frosty.
Concentrate on your course and enjoy the diving.

Since you have no baseline from which you can compare stuff, keep a note of what you used in class in your dive logbook.

Snorkel - buy the cheapest you can get hold of.

Mask - Fit is everything so try a few on your course. Personally I like the Oceanic Shadow masks but they are not cheap.

Fins - this is harder because you don't yet know when or where you'll be diving in the future. Again, see if you can try a few different types on your course. In general the stiffer the fin the more propulsion you'll get but your legs will need time to adjust - to start with, go for the cheapest with a view to replacing them once you have a bit of experience. (your ankles/legs will need time to adjust to fins :) )

Be aware that some fins wiil require you to wear neoprene booties - ask before you buy your fins!
If you do have to wear booties I suggest you buy them from a diveshop where you can try them on. The booties need to fit your feet snugly but not so snugly that they rub against your toes. If the neoprene rubs against your toes you'll find them very uncomfortable after a day or so.

Computers - go for a timer or very cheap computer that you could use as a spare - the depreciation on new computers is pretty high. Once you have an idea of what you want, you should be able to pick up a second hand computer for a lot less money than new. Nothing wrong with new but if you do go for a new computer be sure it's the one you really want if you're diving in 5 years time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom