Need a little push (dwm)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We most often get more quality bottom time in two dives than many get in 3 or 4 dives with the less expensive operations even with the AL 80's - a good DM knows how to plan the dive and profile to maximize quality bottom time.

I think the comment about Christi's post being inappropriate is unfair. She isn't knocking a competitor nor "pushing" Blue XTSea, but simply explaining the differences between the boutique operators and others. She also makes it a point to say that it is a matter of personal preference...which indeed it is.

To me, her claim of "more quality bottom time in two dives than many get in 3 or 4 dives with the less expensive operations" states "you'll get better dives with us but you can still choose to dive with an inferior (less expensive) operator". That's how I read it, you're free to disagree.

There's plenty of experienced divers here stating they've never had an issue the BT allowed by DWM (yes, this thread is about DWM). :)

I don't see the value (and we are talking $30+ more a trip) in the extra time in the sand, or in the patch reefs.

Different strokes for different folks. I've found some delightful (small) critters slowly making my way along such places.

I think the comment about Christi's post being inappropriate is unfair. She isn't knocking a competitor nor "pushing" Blue XTSea, but simply explaining the differences between the boutique operators and others. She also makes it a point to say that it is a matter of personal preference...which indeed it is. Over many years of reading and posting to this board I have always appreciated Christi's contributions which have never slammed a competitor nor been overtly designed to solicit business. I have not been a customer of her's simply because I found a great comfort level with Jeremy on my first Cozumel trip and have stayed with Living Underwater ever since, but have no doubt that I would be equally as satisfied with Blue XTSea or Aldora who fit the bill for what I want in a dive holiday. That being said, I agree with Christi that the choice of dive op is a personal choice based on one's budget, preferences in length and location of surface intervals, length of dive and wants and needs in the way of pampering. This board should be a forum that encourages everyone to state their experiences with a variety of dive ops (both good and bad) so that people shopping for "their" best choice of dive op can make informed decisions. To that end I value contributions from Christi and any other operation especially when those posts are as balanced and non-commercial as I have found her's to be.

And I'll second that....

Ill throw my 2 cents in about DWM. I used them this past November and here is my experience both good and bad. I usually use the in house dive operators but wanted to try something different this trip.
1.) The reservation process was a snap, their US contact Paddi Davis was quite helpful.
2.) I asked for 100AL tanks for the first dive and Nitrox for the second. He put it on my reservation form all specifying the information. So far so good.
3.) Got to the Island and called the dive shop to check in (First mistake, I should have gone there personally). The guy who answered the phone said the person who could help me would be back shortly and I should call back in 10mins. I called back in 15mins and it was the same guy saying he could help me now. They said they had my information and no problems they would pick me up at 8a.m. from the Iberostar. I made sure that they would bring the 100AL and the Nitrox, I specifically made sure they would bring the nitrox analyzer.
4.)The first morning they showed up at 8:05 not bad. Tony checked my C-card and collected $2 for the marine park fee but never gave anyone on the boat a bracelet. I did not see any larger tanks or Nitrox tanks. He knew nothing about the larger tanks they were first come first serve and that they will bring the Nitrox the next day. I did not bring a BC (Big mistake Number 2) since I was told that their had weight integrated BC's that were in top shape. Non of the weight integration worked and the zippers were ripped they simply threw the weight into the unzipped pockets and said they would stay fine. The inflator was the only way to dump and it inflator was leaking. He said he would check with the other boats during the SI for a new BC, I should have called the dive right them but went on. on the surface he wasn't doing anything about the BC, when I pressed Tony, he said next day will have a "brand new BC". SI was only 50 minutes
5.) Got back to the hotel and called the dive shop they apologized and said they would make it right. Next day they showed up at 8:00 with two tanks of Nitrox but no still a junky BC (at least it was not leaking). I said i need to test the tanks and they did not have an analyzer. they said it was already tested at the shop and was good to go. SI was 50 mins. They also had a new DM which was much better, he gave a thorough briefing.
6.) After I complained again, and Emailed Paddi who was very helpful, they showed up on the third day with a 100AL, nitrox and a better BC (still in bad shape but much better then the past two days.) but again no analyzer for the Nitrox.

I know people will jump on me for this but I know the they (cozumel Nitrox) have a maximum of 36% on the island. The profiles were not going to reach the MOD for 36, I dove it as if diving air just in case it was air in those cylinders. The best I could do or I could call the dive and sit on the boat.

Summary: If you have all your gear, want to be picked up early and promptly, less people on the boat, and do not require a different configuration (Larger tank, Nitrox,) and a low price then DWM is for you. If safety is a concern then you may want to look elsewhere.

The Dive master let us stay down as long as we wanted but he would surface at 45-50 mins for both the first and second dives. We would follow shortly there after not wanting to get left.

This is just my personal experience, I know a lot of people have a lot of good things say about them. I'm not bashing them simply giving an a first hand account.

You cant beat their prices but just be aware of what you are getting. Im heading back in April and will try a different OP this time.

Back
Top Bottom