Need a partner for a summer backpacker budget tour of amazing dive sites SE Asia!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kathydee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi

This summer I;m doing a backpackers tour of some top-notch SE Asia dive sites from June-mid August. Thinking about these places in Philippines, Bali, Komodo, Manado (Lembeh Straights/Bunakan), Hoga Island in Wakatobi Sulewesi or Sipadan?! I;d love to find a solid partner!

These amazing destinations (have tons of biodiversity) and can done on a budget $6-$25 US per night for a room. Diving is about $7-$30 per dive & food for maybe $4-$6 per day. Flights between SE Asia locations are about $30-$100 on airasia.com.

I;ve already been to Bali 4X;s, and did a 6 week scuba trip last year through Bali, Manado (Lembeh/Bunakan) Spiadan so know all those detail ;-)!

Keep in mind the budget alternative to diving these sites requires lots of flexibility & a good sense of adventure & good diving skills ;-)!

I;d love hear from you, if you have interest in the trip ;-).

I am very interested. Do you have definite dates planned?

frank

So I will start in Philippines on June 1st (have a partner till June 14th)
Then have a flight home from Singapore on August 12 & would like to be in Bali around August 2nd. Most of the diving & flights can be booked as you go and are inspired, but I would recommend reservations for Lembeh straights, Spiadan & the backpacker on Wakatobi.

I am very intrigued by the backpacker on Wakatobi but it is the most expensive destination & will take 48 hours of overland travel through Sulewesi -- I don't want to do it alone.

I deffinately want to check wrecks out in PI, would love to get in some cheap diving in Bali at Tulemben (where I learned) $7 tanks $6 rooms :D & say a quick hello to the Mantas at Manta Point & try to catch a glimpse of a mola mola (even though it will be a little early in the season). Komodo is intriguing and so is Wakatobi & crossing back to Manado (4-5 days in Lembeh would be a treat)

Alternatively I could deffiantely be taked into going back to Sipadan (ahh the sharks & blue water!!:D) :D!!!

If a partner is on board - we can share the planning. If not, I will probably just wander :D!

Airasia.com offers very inexpensive flights in SE Asia that can be booked last minute with a credit card.

Hi,

Hope your trip goes well. I am also planning something similar.
3-Months diving, Oz 1 week , PNG 2 weeks, Indo 6-7 weeks. Will be starting early Jul.

Planning a 3 night Mike Ball trip from Cairns, followed by a 9 night Liveaboard on Star dancer (Kimbe-Rabul) then onto Indo.
In Indo I am planning Bali,Bunaken,Bangka,Lembeh,Papua,Ambon,P Weugh; in that order starting Aug.
Then some trekking in Nepal to finish.

At the moment I am scheduled to be in Bali at the start of Aug. If this coincides with your schedule let me know nearer the time.

Decided to skip on the Philippines (but already having second thoughts on this decision) as the timing is not great due to cyclone season. Been to Philippines a few times now. Generally I prefer Indo to Phil in terms of value, quality of diving & ease of travel.

Bali is the only place I have found that it is much better to travel with a buddy. Normally the Bali safaris are based on at least 2 people sharing costs.
In all my previous visits to Indo I have always found travelling alone to be no problem. All the diving locations are always very sociable and ok for the lone traveler.

Hope your trip goes well. I am also planning something similar.
I envy you both but Kevster, no you are not doing anything similar. :p

Kathy: backpacker, AirAsia, budget, $6 per night
Kevster: Mike Ball, Star Dancer, Nepal....

night and day but I hope both of you have great trips. :D

Yeah I am splashing out on Cairns & PNG bit. This is my little treat after working in Azerbaijan for 3 years. My work contract here is about to end so I am taking some time out to enjoy myself between jobs.
Once I get to Indo I will be going low cost. I am hoping to average $100-130 per day when I am diving (Two dives generally $50-70, food/drink $20 , accom approx $30)
Non dive days will be considerable less.
Dive resorts like 2 fish, Nad are great value when you get a package. Papua is a little more but worth it. Not sure what Ambon will cost.
I have already dived a lot of Indo (Bali/Lombok/Komodo/N.Sul/Papua) so I am trying to see the other amazing spots when I have this free time.
I will definitely not be diving every day, prob around 75% .
Nepal is cheap & I will definitely be back packing there!

Anyway I will give regular trip reports & upload some of my photos once I am on the road. I will be travelling alone so you know where i will be if anyone fancies joining me in Indo.

Wow Kevster,

Good for you! That sounds fun. If I wasn't a return student & our schedules matched I'd raise the bar & join you for the extra splurge. I know it doesnt take much $$ for that splurge :D. Maybe in a few years :wink:.

I've been to Bali 4X in the last 4 years and spend over 2.5 months there & have many local friends (may get a safari for cost). I do know how to do Tulemben on a dime & comfortably :D - have dove there over 30X. I'd love to go back to manta point & crystal bay to look for mola mola ;-). I've also heard Mangelan has some nice sites I've missed. I've never explored the south or Amed so I'd be interested to see what you have planned in Bali.

Will probably get to Bali around Aug 1st and will leave Aug 11th . Thinking of doing land-based diving in Komodo before. Are you heading back to Komodo? I'd love a partner there.

Too bad our lembeh/bunakan segment doesn't match - that would also be fun. Did a solo trip last year & stayed at the Lorenzo II which is the budget accommodation of Living Colors on Bunakan & dove with Living Colors. (on par with 2 fish) Diving in Bunakan was ok but didn't compare to Sipadan. But I loved Sachiko's with a current (nice sharks) :D & night diving on the coral walls. Lembeh of course was absolutely amazing!

Also dove at a great place in lembeh for $25 per night room/board & $20 per dive - if you're interested.

Oh BTW Nepal is beautiful & you;ve timed it just right :wink: Enjoy!

I'd love to hear your stories - please keep in touch & maybe we can work something out in Bali? :)

Last edited:
Rather than Sipadan, I'd try to get a flight accross to Palau from the Philippines. Especially if you've already dived Sipadan. I loved diving at Sipadan (it's no. 2 on my list), but it's a poor man's Palau, for me. It's not the cheapest, but it's truly awesome diving. And it's not all drifts and reef hooks - there was a fair amount of fighting going on over there during WWII, and thus there are numerous wrecks dotted around - seaplanes & warships.....

Also check out Pulau Weh whilst in Indo......

Sounds interesting - but I've always wondered how's the safety of your stuff/gear at backpacker/uber-cheap accommodations?

Wow - $7 per dive?? Sounds brilliant value. I have a trip to Siladen Island (near Bunaken) North Sulawesi, and would love to pay that little for dives....We're getting a discount and 'extra' dives (after our package) are $22 USD (and I thought that was cheap enough! So, where do you get $7 dives?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom