Need advice on cozumel drift dive op and a cheap pkg !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wouldn't you need to arrange for a private DM through the respective Dive Op you book with? I have hired private DM's in Coz and I just asked the Dive Op to make the arrangements. All, without exception, have been outstanding! If you hire a non-Dive Op arranged Pvt DM, I would think he/she (or you) would need to pay for their dives just like anyone else??

Wouldn't you need to arrange for a private DM through the respective Dive Op you book with? I have hired private DM's in Coz and I just asked the Dive Op to make the arrangements. All, without exception, have been outstanding! If you hire a non-Dive Op arranged Pvt DM, I would think he/she (or you) would need to pay for their dives just like anyone else??
I was about to say the same thing. You're going out on a boat dive, so book the private DM thru the same Operator. Many Ops have that option listed on their website with price. It's not a cheap extra, but cheaper than you'd expect as the private DM is taking up one of the boat seats that might be sold to a retail diver, and you're getting your own pro.

I also need good well maintained reg,bc for rent. Can pvt DM provide those?
From the Op.

I was about to say the same thing. You're going out on a boat dive, so book the private DM thru the same Operator. Many Ops have that option listed on their website with price. It's not a cheap extra, but cheaper than you'd expect as the private DM is taking up one of the boat seats that might be sold to a retail diver, and you're getting your own pro.
From the Op.

So in this case there'll be two DM IN that small boat. A main default DM , THEN the pvt DM whos taking a spot in that boat that'd have been some other diver's spot...

Am i right?!

So in this case there'll be two DM IN that small boat. A main default DM , THEN the pvt DM whos taking a spot in that boat that'd have been some other diver's spot...

Am i right?!
That's the way I understand it, generally. Depending on the Op, the boat, and the park rules - the boat may be licensed for more capacity than the limit of how many divers a DM may lead. I'm honestly not clear on the rules as that's not my responsibility, or yours. Anyway, if the boat is licensed for more than the DM and his group, then the extra private DM may not be taking a paid divers spot. It's not our concern tho, and I'm now sorry I suggested such. If the private DM is an extra $50, fine - it's worth it the first time diving in Cozumel. One trip with a private DM should be enough.

How to shop for a pvt DM like you do? I also need good well maintained reg,bc for rent. Can pvt DM provide those?

Don't wanna bypass the OPs and talk to pvt DM, seems unethical way of contacting them. Am i still in a small group of say 5 or 6 divers with a pvt DM?

THANKS!

Just let the dive shop know you would like a private DM for your first day. They will provide one at an additional cost of $50 - $60usd Despite popular belief, the dive shop does not profit from providing private DM's, they aren't trying to gouge you. The fee charged literally covers their pay and their tanks. It does not take into account the space they may have to give up to another paying diver.

You don't need to "shop" for a private DM. And I would advise against trying to get a "deal" by hiring an individual vs. going through a reputable and legit shop. Going through a reputable, legitimate shop ensures that they have insurance, permits, safety equipment, have passed inspection, pay taxes, have a solid staff, etc. etc.etc. This is not the place to try to cut corners.

I have a friend that does not work for a shop. he knows every one on the island. I tell him what day I am coming to cozumel and where to pick me up the following morning. I do not go through a diveshop, i do not do anything other than show up and the dock. It's sweet. I don't even know what boat is picking me up until I see him

BUT yes, you can ask for a private DM through a shop

I have a friend that does not work for a shop. he knows every one on the island. I tell him what day I am coming to cozumel and where to pick me up the following morning. I do not go through a diveshop, i do not do anything other than show up and the dock. It's sweet. I don't even know what boat is picking me up until I see him

BUT yes, you can ask for a private DM through a shop

This is not the norm and is not recommended for the reasons I stated above. Most of us who have lived here for a long time know everyone on the island.

Not be the norm, but I have known my friend for 30 years that I have been traveling there, and I trust him above and beyond anybody else that can take me out

Not be the norm, but I have known my friend for 30 years that I have been traveling there, and I trust him above and beyond anybody else that can take me out
I understand that - but you're not a new or infrequent visitor to the island. You're not the typical visitor on Scubaboard.

Well, it sounds like you’re diving with your personal DM for a bud, with him booking space on various boats. As great as it is, I’m sure your daily cost is more than I’d pay. Fine for you, but not what I’d suggest.

Back
Top Bottom