Need advice on readers for my scuba mask...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tried monovision contacts. Hated it! I couldn't see distance on my reading side without turning my head radically. I settled on compromise contacts that give me a correction on both sides to about what I had when I was 40. I can read at a short arms length and see distance to about 50 yards. Anything inside the reading distance or outside the long distance is a bit blurry but doable. It works really well for me. My eye doctor just ran me through the tests and found the level that gave me the best combo of reading and distance. I only wear them on dive days. As a positive, the water creates a greater close up correction, so I can read my gauges and viewfinder really well. Vis in Monterey is seldom past 50 feet anyway, so the long distance doesn't matter much.

Many thanks for all the wonderful suggestions! I saw my eye doc and he gave me a sample monovision contact to try. I will check into the other suggestions as well!

Happy diving!

I use the stick on in four masks that I use and my wife's mask:

Mares X Vision clear and black
Mares mid size X Vision clear
Atomic Frameless
USD Atlantis

I placed them where they would be in my glasses or a bit lower and they work fine. Myself, I usually carry water in my mask, I don't have the leaky mask phobia so many of you guys have. I just swish them occasionally with water if they fog. They work good enough for me to see my instruments. I have never had one come off.

N

Fortunaltely although I can't see worth a hoot topside, the magnification provided by the water is enough for me to see my camera settings in the water....so far.

I tried the reader inserts also last year, they worked ok, but not totally exceptable if I REALLY had a hard time seeing.

If you wore contacts before the surgery, try getting a single reader contact and doing the monovision thing that way. I know a lady that wears one contact for distance and one for reading and has not problems with it.

If my vision gets to the point I can't see underwater well enough, and Crystal Lens hasn't come down to an affordable price, I may try the single contact thing myself.

The camera settings are secondary to being able to see the image underwater after I've taken it...to be able to make out whether the image is in focus. I think there is a learning curve in regard to trying to use the viewfinder instead of the LCD screen to compose pictures, and therefore you add another level of mask to the distance. Maybe I should be looking into a magnifier for the LCD screen...if they make such a thing!

Nemrod- you didn't have an issue with placemnt of the stick on readers in your X-Vision mask? Boy I sure did. Either it was WAY too low, and couldn't even see it- or it was right in my line of sight and couldn't see a thing.

I used to have prescription lens put in my mask. Then I had Lasik eye surgery and got rid of the prescription mask all together. Well, a few more years passed and all of a sudden I now need reading glasses. This also means that it was time to do sometime about my mask too. I decided to look around a bit more since i also carry a spare in my thigh pocket and an extra one topside too.

I found a seller on eBay that sells RX mask with any script. I contacted him to see if I could get just the reader on the lower part. It turned out that this was possible. I could get any strenght that I wanted in increments of .5

This is a link to the sellers store:
Get Wet Store

I have been using the mask for over a year now and am still very happy with it. Price was very affordable also.

Back
Top Bottom