Need BP/W Setup for Tall Overweight Person

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wcj786

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am 6'7", 330#. I have a 56" chest and a 44" waist. I am looking for recommendations for a BP and a Wing layout for recreational diving. I am AOW certified and will be getting Nitrox certified in the next few weeks. I also will be traveling with the BP/W, so the weight of it is a factor for me. I do not believe I will need a 2-tank setup any time in the near future, but would like the option to upgrade the BP for a 2-tank setup. That would mean that the Wing would need to accept both BP's. (I don't know whether that makes a difference or not for the Wing.)

I am headed to Cancun/Cozumel on April 30 and would like to be able to take the setup with me at that time. I currently live on a Navy base, Diego Garcia, in the Indian Ocean, but am not allowed to dive around the island (no decompression facilities or full medical center). Since I will have to pack the BP/W (and am only allowed 2 check-in bags @ 50#'s each), I believe it would be best to get an AL BP, but if you feel a SS would be better, please let me know why.

I would be receiving any and all gear at my permanent address in Florida, as I will be arriving there on the 25th. I would conceivably like to take a dive before heading to Cancun in order to get all the kinks corrected from the new setup. (Also to identify how much weight I will need to be neutral :))

P.S. I do not use a wet suit and I would rent the tanks I use from the sites I go to, since, for me to dive, I have to travel. I do not own any tanks, but would normally rent steel tanks, since with my size, I run out of air even with steel tanks before I reach the computed allowable bottom time. (I am told, once I have more dives in, my rate of air consumption will normally decrease, due to being more comfortable under the water, but at this time, I still need the steel tanks.) I will also be certifying on Nitrox while in Cancun, so if that makes a difference, then that also needs to be added in.

I have no idea, based on all of these factors, how to calculate the weight I need for diving, so I am hoping, based on the rig recommended, you can help me out there, or point me in the direction I need to figure the weight issue out on my own.

WCJ,

Singles and doubles require different wings. Often the same plate can be used with both, but that may not always be the case.

Given the wide range of potentially conflicting requirements you have listed I would suggest you give me a call, there's just too much to try and cover via serial postings.

I'm sure I can make a recommendation for a set up that will work fine for your up coming trip.

At 6'7 you need a "Long Pattern" plate, after that there's a number of ways to proceed.

You can reach me at 626-799-5078. You are welcome to try today, I'll be around for a bit, or tomorrow. We are in California.

Tobin

Thanks Tobin,

When we talked on the phone, you helped me understand what I need and what I should look forward to, based on getting more familiar and comfortable under the water. Based on our discussion, I plan on ordering the SS Long Pattern BP with the 26 Torus Wing and the Hogarthian setup. (This is due to our discussion of getting a wetsuit and having to add weight to make me neutrally buoyant.) You have been a big help in explaining the setup I need, and I appreciate your going the extra mile to get everything through what can sometimes be a thick head.

Thanks again,

Clifton

Back
Top Bottom