Need help newbe regulator choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buy the Scuba Pro, worldwide repairs. Don't settle for cheaper, you'll regret it quickly if you do much diving. I love my SP MK25/s6oo, almost as much as my Atomic B2.

I did the same hunt this past Spring and ended up with the Sherwood Blizzard (basically a cold water version of the Oasis). So far it has been a great reg. The advice I got was that the Sherwoods are the pick-up trucks of the industry. They aren't as fancy as some, but don't cost as much and they come through when you need them. :) So far that has been my experience.

If I were to ignore the service issue, I'd own a Mares Abyss. Not sure why, but this regulator really excites me, but here agian, my LDS owner really hates Mares (well, I do know why, but what I dont know is the other side of the stories)

I'm with Teamcasa on this. Get what makes your heart go "pitter patter".

FYI: ScubaToys sells and services Mares regs.

FYI #2: I love my MR-22 Mares Abyss :D

What ever you decide, it will be pretty hard to go wrong with today's regulators.

Have fun!

I dive with the MK25\S600 i love the reg i dont dive cold so i going colder than 40 degree is out of the question i like the high flow rate its small compact and does a great job just my 2cents

The SP you are looking at is perfectly fine. I just used on that set-up on a Florida trip a few months ago. The other your looking at I don't know and can't offer opinion on.

Somebody above made a comment about having a hard time finding a bad brand name regulator / first stage out there. They are probably right.

If your planning on doing something more than recreational diving, yes there maybe some other issues to address.

Skipper
I did pull the trigger and got the oceanic delta 4 the unit has a good track record parts anr easy to find and it worker great on my check out dives. very pleased with the choice.
Snook1e

I have an Oceanic Delta 4/FXD10. Great reg. Scubapro makes a great reg too. Pretty much an current reg will serve you well. Servicing would be the issue since some shops are closer than others. Happy diving with whichever reg you get.

i'm still shoppig and researching. (man I sure liked that Mares Abyss)

i'm still shoppig and researching. (man I sure liked that Mares Abyss)

John, then get the darn thing and enjoy.

But make sure you get it at a good price.

As a person that has used every brand (except for one - atomic, and am working on that), it is a nice regulator.. and perhaps more importantly, your choice.

Atomic regulators are 10000 times better than scuba pro where the hardware is concerned. SP uses so much plastic internally, where as Atomic uses more stainless parts. also atomic workmanship far surpasses SP , I know because I service all of them. The atomic Z2 is a mid priced regulator but works and breathes as well as there 1400.00 titanium.
If your stuck on SP get the G250 second stage no matter what 1st stage is offered. Also look at Aqalung, they are great diaphram regulators, and don't be fooled by lifetime parts warranties because they normally don't include the expensive parts that typically need to be replaced annually.[o-rings are cheap, high-pressure seats sometimes are not] . By all means buy from your local shop,they will help you figure it out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom