Need help on four fish from Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vondo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've got all of my creature ID done for my Roatan trip except for these four (poor) photos

Roatan-52d44d96.jpg
All I can guess is an immature Schoolmaster, but I think it's too big for that.

Roatan-52d56550.jpg
Here all I can guess is a black hamlet, but I'd say he's more brown than bluish black.

Roatan-52d88036.jpg
I don't know what kind of parrotfish this is.

Roatan-52d8767a.jpg
Two specimens of the same fish. My guess is some sort of cardinal fish, but I don't know and nothing really matches.
Roatan-52d8767a-2.jpg

Thanks for any help!

1. Yep; Juvenile Schoolmaster Snapper. The small size and white bars with the body shape are the key.
2. Correct, Black Hamlet. Note the longer bottom fins.
3. Stoplight Parrotfish, resting at night. Note the cresent at the tail.
4. Dusky Cardinalfish. Note the faint bar at the tail, and the very light spots on the body, best seen in the second picture.

Who'd you stay and dive with on Roatan?

Agree on the first three.

1 – schoolmaster, Lutjanus apodus

2 – the long pelvic fin suggests you are right – black hamlet, Hypoplectrus nigricans. Fish colors vary so much, especially in different lighting conditions.

3 – think it’s a stoplight, Sparisoma viride. Them buggers vary a lot. Definitely looks like a night shot.

4/5 – Cardinal fish can be challenging. I’d put a nickel on sawcheek, Apogon quadrisquamatus, although as T.C. pointed out dusky, Phaeoptyx pigmentaria is possible.

4/5 – Cardinal fish can be challenging. I’d put a nickel on sawcheek, Apogon quadrisquamatus, although as T.C. pointed out dusky, Phaeoptyx pigmentaria is possible.
I considered that, but because of the faint spots, and the habitat, open water at night, better matches the Dusky, I think it is more likely. The Sawcheek lives and stays near anemones.

Were there anemones in the picture I'd totally agree. But for example, http://www.fishbase.org/summary/3531 says:
Sometimes associates with sea anemones
Humann says occasionally.

The speckles in the picture are indistinct and pale, so I'll leave my nickel where it is (at least for now).

I suggest you offer the OP a trip to go back to Roatan and see if can't find a better picture. :wink:

:D

but I'd rather go myself

How about if he sends us?

I'll settle for that.

vondo, we'll get you that ID. We'll go down, photograph the fish, catch one and take it to an ichthyologist.

Just send us the info on where it was and a check for $6,000, and we'll handle the rest!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom