Need help on gauges - what to do

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welling

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My wife and I have been slowly buying our gear. We have Aqualung Legend Regs, Legend Octos, and i3 BC's.
Now we need need to add our gauges. This is where it gets tricky and I would like some advice.
We plan to one day get some type of dive computers so I don't want to spend limited money on equipment I think I won't need.
So what should I do for my gear gauges?? Should I buy used?? I know until I get a dive computer I need air pressure and depth obviously. I do like the Suunto console, does anyone recommend a decent set of gauges that is about $150? I would be ok with new or used. My dive shop offered me to buy a Suunto used with air, depth and compass for $250 each. Looking on eBay for a set up regardless of brand seems I could go cheaper. Again, its really not about the cost, I just don't want to spend a lot on this when down the road (not sure when) I will be buying a dive computer (can't do it now). So....anyone have any advice on what to do??? I am sure I am not the first in this situation....

Thank you,
Geo
Scuba Diving - George Welling - Home

sounds like your LDS is trying to screw you considering you can get a new one of those consoles for $175. I have one and use it for recreational diving sans computer.

Suunto Analog Double Gauge Console at LeisurePro

My suggestion is to look at your long term diving goals. Unfortunately your BC choice is somewhat limiting for long term progression, I'm not going to speak down on it, but you have what you have. The #1 most important thing you can do to make sure you get respect from other divers is to make sure that console is clipped to something. The best place is to clip it to your right shoulder with a bolt snap. Clipping it across your chest allows you to see it easily without unclipping it and it isn't breaking endangered elkhorn coral..... HUGE pet peeve of mine when you see "instructors" and "dive masters" with consoles dangling and either the console or octo gets hooked in some beautiful coral and breaks it off. rant over, sorry
Anyway, look ahead at what time of diving you're wanting to do. That will lead you to your computer choice. I don't like Suunto's because they have a weird algorithm that does strange things and you can't predict it in computer modelling because it is proprietary and they won't tell you what it is. Invest in the future, and be honest with yourself. If you're only doing 2 dives a day and it is all coral reef type recreational diving, get a cheap console that matches your wives, and just dive tables. Nothing wrong with that.

Personally, I only have a SPG (air gauge) at the end of my HP line on pretty much all of my regulator sets. I usually have a second computer on me or bottom timer, so I don't worry much about having a depth gauge in the console, and I like to keep the clutter or things minimal.

I do have the SPG/Depth/Compass combo consoles on some sets I use for teaching, but I don't care for that setup much. I find a compass mounted to your wrist is in a more functional location than one mounted to your gauges. I believe it is much easier to use and you get a more accurate result when using it from your wrist.

You can get a SPG only for about $100, SPG+Depth - $170, SPG/Depth/Compass for around $220 brand new.

You can also look on eBay and find any number of them for sale fairly cheap for a decent set.

Wow your LDS sure wants to rake you over the coals. That is alot for a used Suunto console check here 175 USD NEW Suunto Analog Double Gauge Console at LeisurePro. Take a look around leisure pro, you can also check out https://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/. After seeing what your LDS wants to charge you for USED dive equipment I would look around at a new dive shop for future purchases.

Once you purchase your DC if you feel comfortable you can loose your depth gauge. You can just pop the pressure gauge out of your console, but you will not have the boot around it if it is one molded piece but you can purchase rubber boots separately

Put a simple pressure gauge on the HP hose, and then do some shopping and pick up an inexpensive or used wrist computer. You can probably do both for what you were going to spend on the simple console.

One thing to understand about the Suunto gauges linked to is that LeisurePro is not an Authorized Aqualung Dealer. Since Suunto is distributed by Aqualung in the U.S. the lower price Leisure Pro price probably reflects the difference between their price and your local shop - who has to sell at Aqualung's higher fixed price. Also the linked gauges don't include the compass - they're not especially cheap either. Still $250 for used does seem excessive.

When you have your regs serviced at your local dealer they'll probably include changing the spool/o-rings on the gauges for free. No matter whose/where they're were purchased. Should they require warranty repair - your local dealer wouldn't be able to provide that if you buy Suunto gauges from LeisurePro. I doubt it will ever be necessary.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess your local shop is an Aqualung Dealer?...:D

There's also plenty of sub-$150 options on the LeisurePro site from other mfr's - all of whom they are authorized dealers for. Like this one for $125 new. Nice thing is you get all three gauges in the space needed for 2. Aeris Max-Depth Console with Compass at LeisurePro

Another option is http://www.leisurepro.com/p-tbtsca230bk/tusa-double-gauge-imperial-sca-230 - for $115 and a wristmount Suunto SK7 compass for $70. That way whatever you change in gauges/computer later you still have compass you can use independently.
http://www.leisurepro.com/p-sqtsk7/suunto-sk7-wrist-compass - $70

Here's several console sets including computer for less than $250 new also. One even includes the compass. The pressure gauge is the only tank pressure indicator - the computer is just a stand-alone module they popped into the console. Read up on the computers - for that price they could possibly either be air only or have real small dive logging capabilities - some overwrite after 12 dives.

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-tbtsca251bk/tusa-element-2-gauge-computer-console-sca-251 - $199
http://www.leisurepro.com/p-mrsmp2cc/mares-mission-puck-2-computer-console - $235
http://www.leisurepro.com/p-gnsrpc6/genesis-resource-pro-computer-console-cg2209 - $250
http://www.leisurepro.com/p-tbtsca351bk/tusa-element-3-gauge-computer-console-with-compass-sca-351 - $259

If you can squeeze another $100 out of your budget...
http://www.leisurepro.com/p-ocndmpp2c/oceanic-pro-plus-21-air-integrated-computer-with-compass - $350

Last edited:
For what you'll spend on a console with gauges, you can get a console with a computer.

Aeris A100 console, includes SPG and a computer. $175. This is my local dive shop:

Aeris A100 Console

And it's even Nitrox capable.

tbone already commented on the Suunto algorithm. The Aeris (which is owned by the same company that owns Oceanic and Hollis) has the same algorithms that are in the Oceanic computers. And they mostly all actually offer 2 different algorithms that you can choose from. One is more conservative (Pelagic Z+) and the other (Pelagic DSAT) is more liberal.

First of all to everyone who replied so far thank you!

I went to my LDS today that is an AL dealer to buy some more weights and was offered used suunto 3 gauges for the 250 again. I told him thanks and it was a little more than I wanted to spend as I wanted to do 150-175 each. I am very aware that 250 sounded very high.

I bought my wife and my regulators while out of town last spring in Florida from a company called Force-E, i think i will be going with this.

https://shop.force-e.com/home/605-oceanic-swiv-max-depth-gauge.html

They are an aqualung dealer as well. After reading the product description it will fit our needs perfectly......for now!

For what it is worth, I have a console with SPG, depth, compass. Two wrist computers. I use the SPG a lot on every dive, use the wrist computers frequently on every dive, often use the compass. I essentially never use the depth gauge on my console. Use the computers for depth.

Have never wanted the computer on the console. After a pair of dives I will often stop in a nearby food place and log my dives while waiting for lunch. Much easier to use wrist for that. Also for timing ascents etc, it is simpler to just have the computer on the wrist close to my face without having to lift anything.

disregard

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom