Need Help picking dive operation in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've gone diving with both shops, though it was a few years ago that I dove with Blue Magic and things have changed since then.

Back then with Blue Magic, one had to go to the caletta to get on the boat if you were staying north of the caletta. I was at Casa del Mar and got picked up in front of CDM on the road. I wouldn't plan on that again as I believe shops can get in trouble if they're transporting their divers. This may have changed too in that Blue Magic will pick you up from a dock north of the caletta?

Deep Blue will pick up almost everywhere south of downtown at your hotel's dock.

At the time, Blue Magic had a really nice, fast boat. As I recall, it was a little wider than the usual small boats and it had foam padding on the deck. It was a smoother ride.

As for the actual diving, it was fine. I did most of my diving with Pumba as DM, and he did a great job. The captain, whose name I don't remember, was great too. The SI was on shore, usually Playa Caracol. (The dock with all the conch shells.) The shop/office did a fine job too.

I've done hundreds of dives with Deep Blue over the last 10 years. They've been around for a long time, and the shop won an award for service or something last year or the year before. They SI on the shore and have fast boats, my favorite is the Pegasus as it's a little bigger than the others. Their DMs have always been great as have their captains.

I don't know when Blue Magic leaves now, but Deep Blue goes out a little later than most, so it's very rare we ever see other divers on the reefs. In ten years, we've encountered other divers a handful of times, like 3 or 4. I dove with another shop that's on the same "schedule" as most shops, and we ran into divers on almost every dive.

If I were to suggest a shop, I'd tell you Deep Blue, and I think I'd suggest that if Blue Magic were the same as it was when I was diving with them, but honestly, it's been a few years and there have been some big changes at Blue Magic, which is another reason I'd suggest Deep Blue. Somebody above mentioned Sandro at Deep Blue. He'd be reason enough for me to dive with Deep Blue, and when I dove with Blue Magic, it was because Sandro was working there at the time. Unfortunately, he was managing the Blue Magic operations or something at the time, and I didn't get to dive with him.

cvchief - The bigger the boat, the slower the roll, and over the rail your head will go......

-Blair

cvchief - The bigger the boat, the slower the roll, and over the rail your head will go......

-Blair

Weird. So sitting on a panga that is stopped rocking alot and fast is better than less and slow? I would not have guessed that.

I guess maybe that might work. I don't really get affected by the mal de mar, but I remember sitting on the ferry, staring at the bulkhead in front of me while waiting to shove off. The ferry was pitching slow and I did kinda feel a touch of something. Learn something everyday.

I was down there in March and did my dives with Dive With Martin. I was very pleased with there operation and will use them any time I return to Cozumel.

Dive With Martin Webpage:
Home Page

At the risk of being chastised, because I also feel replies should be in regards to the forum question, I will mention an op that I lucked into.

As I was staying on the north end of Coz the last time I was there, I was looking for an op in town that would pick me up at the resort. All would have had me getting a taxi for the short ride to the pier they left from. After calling the resort before arrival, I found that Pro Dive had a little shack on their beach. Contacted them and found they would set up the taxi transportation to their pier which was on the south end of the island.

For the purpose of not being on a boat for a long time, Pro Dive might be an option as their pier, located at the Occidental Allegro resort, which is minutes from Marine National Park and some of the really good dive sites. Their surface interval was back at their pier with time only to hit the restrooms and them to change out tanks. Enjoyed diving with them.

Weird. So sitting on a panga that is stopped rocking alot and fast is better than less and slow? I would not have guessed that.

I guess maybe that might work. I don't really get affected by the mal de mar, but I remember sitting on the ferry, staring at the bulkhead in front of me while waiting to shove off. The ferry was pitching slow and I did kinda feel a touch of something. Learn something everyday.

This is actually true Chief - a lot of people assume that smaller boats are worse for sea sickness - but they don't roll and rock like bigger boats do :) So smaller fast boats are MUCH better for those with sea sickness issues.

---------- Post added June 10th, 2014 at 02:28 PM ----------

At the risk of being chastised, because I also feel replies should be in regards to the forum question, I will mention an op that I lucked into.

As I was staying on the north end of Coz the last time I was there, I was looking for an op in town that would pick me up at the resort. All would have had me getting a taxi for the short ride to the pier they left from. After calling the resort before arrival, I found that Pro Dive had a little shack on their beach. Contacted them and found they would set up the taxi transportation to their pier which was on the south end of the island.

For the purpose of not being on a boat for a long time, Pro Dive might be an option as their pier, located at the Occidental Allegro resort, which is minutes from Marine National Park and some of the really good dive sites. Their surface interval was back at their pier with time only to hit the restrooms and them to change out tanks. Enjoyed diving with them.
That is an awfully short surface time

Do you know where you are staying? Except the iberostar (which is a bit more limited) you can get picked up by pretty much anyone at a southern resort, and that will really reduce time spent traveling on a boat. When you email ops, also ask if they go to shore for their surface interval or just float. (Though I suppose this might not always cut time on the water depending on where you are, how long it takes to get to a pier, and how far it is to the next site.)

other than the boat, is there anything you are looking for in an op? Budget/full service? Gear valet? On boat amenities? Etc

I am open to any and all suggestions. The choices are just so extensive. I guess I got tired of researching....:wink:

ShawnaAnne,

As mentioned here by many folks who are trying to decide on a Dive Op, the task can be overwhelming. As said, I do understand your need for a fast boat due to sea sickness as my DH also has a problem with it. We have found that larger boats have a tendency to slowly rock and sway in a manner that is not ideal for sea sick sufferers. With a small fast boat, you are on the move and there is really no sway. Also, once back on board, the ride into shore for a SI is short and quick. My DH enjoys standing on ground for awhile before the next dive. Which brings me to a point... Do remember to ask the Dive Op you are interested in that they do indeed go to a Beach or Pier for SI's. Some don't... and in fact one of our SI's with Deep Blue was on the boat as we slowly made our way to the next dive site. This is one of the reasons we enjoy diving with Blue XT Sea. Fast, 6 pack boat with SI's always at a beach or pier.

Also, although you have probably established a pre-dive routine, having a light dry breakfast and perhaps a medication of some sort does help my DH. He has tried both Dramamine and Bonine and has found Bonine works best for him. He reports that it does not have that sleepy, hungover effect that Dramamine does. Of course, check with your physician as he/she would be the best source to find something that will work for you.

So as far as choosing your dive op, I always suggest to read the reviews and all of the posted suggestions, then choose the top 3-5 dive ops that are of interest to you. Then research those dive ops and contact them directly with any questions you may have. Once you find your BEST, then choose lodging. Of course, if lodging is already in place, do mention this to the dive op as this may be a determining factor of who you dive with due to the required pick up location.

Regardless of which dive op you choose, do have a wonderful time. And, if you have the chance do post a trip report !

Hmmm... I guess I don't get the definition of a small 6 pack boat. I was thinking panga, but if we are talking larger like the Bandito, then the Maximus would be relatively in that same class size-wise. I would consider the Bandito much more comfortable and roomy than some small boats. I would not have called either 6 packs though, even though they take one group only. I was thinking close to or smaller than something like SeaRobin Ballena or like the Deep Blue boats. I see alot of those kind of little boats when we pass them. :)

I do know we have out of consideration for the Mal De Mar peeps minimized any stationary time. We usually do an SI on shore too. And no SS while moving, unless you get sick on airplanes. Cuz the Maximus be flyin'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom