Need Help picking dive operation in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For many years I dove with Pascual Tun. He owned Studio Blue and had two fast boats, The Fat Grouper and the Fat Grouper II. I will be visiting Cozumel in November but I can not seem to locate Pascual. Does anyone know of a way to contact him?

I have numerous dives with both Deep Blue and Blue Magic. Most of my dives with Blue Magic were with its original owner, but a dozen or so were with the current owner. Some of the personnel, particularly divemaster Enrique Ascencio (Pumbaa) were there the entire time.

Blue Magic was a bit fancier with Joyce, the original owner. Warm, dry towels after each dive, nice snacks, etc. We had a great time but the sole reason we moved from Deep Blue was that our friend Sandro moved there to be the manager. When the business was sold and Sandro left, some of the perks stopped (such as the towels) and Sandro eventually moved back to Deep Blue. This was nothing about Deep Blue vs. Blue Magic and everything to do with our friend.

We again mostly dive with Deep Blue. You can find recent discussions about them which for the sake of brevity I won't repeat here. They're just fine - a fairly representative, well-established Cozumel dive shop without a ton of frills. All their boats are 6-pax and they have some great captains and DM's, all of which is also true of Blue Magic.

Honestly, if I didn't already have this longstanding friendship, I'd just sign up to dive with Blue XT Sea. The only reason we ever went with Deep Blue in the first place was that Christi couldn't accommodate us and helped us find another place on short notice. I've never managed to dive with her shop but have always wanted to.

Cozumel has few lousy dive shops. Most of them are pretty darned good. Pick one of the ones mentioned here and you won't go wrong.

Ha ha! I did make the surface time seem awful short didn't I?

Will clarify: had 1 hr., 15 min. and 55 min. surface intervals with Pro Dive. Previous year the op I dove with had 2 hour surface intervals as the shore stop was at a beach bar and most of the divers ordered food (a good reason to research, what different ops do for SI's.) Liked the shorter, but appropriate surface intervals with Pro Dive and any dive op I've used that goes into shore during SI's.

Honestly, if I didn't already have this longstanding friendship, I'd just sign up to dive with Blue XT Sea. The only reason we ever went with Deep Blue in the first place was that Christi couldn't accommodate us and helped us find another place on short notice. I've never managed to dive with her shop but have always wanted to.
Why deny yourself what you want? If it's a long-standing friendship, surely he'll understand. I'll second the plug for Blue XT~Sea, the only aluminum tank op on the island I'd consider.

Why deny yourself what you want?

What we mostly want now is to dive with Sandro. We often charter a boat and go diving on his days off. When he's working at Deep Blue, diving with them meets our needs well.

Not long ago he was benched from diving for a week when we were there so I did try to schedule with Christi but once again she was all booked. I'm sure it'll happen sooner or later.

What we mostly want now is to dive with Sandro. We often charter a boat and go diving on his days off. When he's working at Deep Blue, diving with them meets our needs well.

Not long ago he was benched from diving for a week when we were there so I did try to schedule with Christi but once again she was all booked. I'm sure it'll happen sooner or later.

I'll look forward to having you dive with us whenever it can happen! June is pretty much full with some random spaces open here and there - July is getting there :) After the first week of August, it opens up significantly :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom