Need help w/ leaking Titan LX 1st stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the4brewers

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hooked my regs today to check them out for a trip next week. Out of the blue I noticed leaking at the 2nd stage hose port on the 1st stage. Thought it was the hose fitting but it wasn't. Checked O-ring and it appeared ok.

Took it to the dive shop and we put a new hose and O-ring on it...still leaking.
We also swapped ports and it leaked from the port plug which has a larger O-ring that sits on the face of the body.

It has 100+ dives on it, regular service, and no damage. The hoses have only been off at servicing, or I assume they do to replace the O-rings. I just dove with it about 6 months ago and it has always been dependable.

It appears there is something wrong w/ the 1st stage body.

I'm clueless. How can this just appear as it did?

Any help would be appreciated. I want to try and help the shop that is going to have a tech look at it Monday night and I leave for Akumal Tuesday night.

Sound to me that the body is damaged but, could not be 100% without looking at it. I would look at the threads to ensure that they are not damaged and also look at the smooth edge just above the threads where the oring would seat to see if there are any gouges. Good luck.

.....has the unit been serviced since the last time you dove it ? ...if 'yes', I'm suspecting thread damage done during your last servicing. A while back I had a dive shop replace the the entire 1st-stage body on my Titan LX.....I'd loaned the unit to a dive buddy to wreck dive off North Carolina, and when said bud returned she'd reported the tank (with reg on the tank) had hit the steel boat deck, impacting the 1st-stage......the interface where the yoke 1st-stage mates with the tank valve was slightly dented in, such that the tank -O-ring would no longer seal with the reg, and on the Titan replacement of the 1st-stage body was required to fix the problem....not the reg's fault, of course.......so you CAN replace the 'body' if it comes to that....however, I doubt the dealer will have this part in stock....you will certainly have to special order it...probably not in time for your trip though..........

If you have a leak at a specific port, despite trying a couple of different hoses and a port plug, you may be using the wrong size o-ring or you have a damaged port. Use a magnifying glass and lots of light and compare a couple of ports, look for tiny hairline cracks or dings near the exterior body wall.

The body can be replaced, if needs be.

sounds to me that there is a scratch where the o-ring seats on the body. Look with a magnifying glass.

the tank you are using is it a full tank 3000 psi or a partial tank. if it leaks with a full tank and not a partial tank. i would say you have a cracked first stg. this can come from over tighting the hose.

I was just wondering what was the outcome of the problem. Thanks Ed

Don't know if I will ever know what the cause was. Rented a Titan LX 1st stage from the shop for the trip and when I went to return it, the shop was closed down. What a jerk for not letting me know they were going out of business.
What sucks is the rental is not in as good shape cosmetically, but I do have a working unit.
I'm glad I swapped out my 2nd stage, SPG, and hoses.
Thanks for everyone’s help. I will be checking my gear further in advance from here on out.

PS
Akumal MX condo 2BR/2Bath on the beach w/ pool $80 a night through 2010. Thats a $100 off a night. Pass the word.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom