Need help with C5050 Macro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ooooohhhh. blacklight....nice idea......(Kid scrambles around apartment to find blacklight)

We wanna see those photos! :wink:

KidK9:
I'm shooting my nano-tank, a 7gal minibow. All corals are 6"-12" away or even less if I put my lens up to the glass.
A word of CAUTION: Donot press the lens of the C5050 against the glass of the aquarium. The front element protudes out of the lens barrel and will get damaged (scratched) if you do.

Dee:
Since the water is crystal clear, I don't think using the zoom is going to diminish the quality at all.

The only problem with zooming in in macro mode is that you will lose some depth of field. It may not be a problem with what you are taking a picture of.

Yes, be careful with your lens extention against the glass!!!!!!!

Should I turn noise reduction on? Should I turn digital zoom on? Should I turn the autofocus on? These things also seem to kill my batteries very quickly. Thanks for all your posts guys!

KidK9:
Should I turn noise reduction on? Should I turn digital zoom on? Should I turn the autofocus on? These things also seem to kill my batteries very quickly. Thanks for all your posts guys!

Noise reduction: OFF (unless you are shooting in low light)
Digital zoom: OFF (digital zoom simply crops the image and you lose resolution).
Autofocus: ON (unless you prefer manual or are having a hard time getting the camera to achieve lock)

What kind of batteries are you using? Rechargeable 2000 mAh NiMH's last a long time.

You can turn Auto Focus OFF and still not have to use Manual Focus. Half press the shutter to get a focus lock. I find this is lots faster than auto focus.

Dee:
You can turn Auto Focus OFF and still not have to use Manual Focus. Half press the shutter to get a focus lock. I find this is lots faster than auto focus.

Dee,

Half pressing the shutter to get focus won't work if AF is not selected.

I wasn't suggesting that he should use "full-time" AF. That eats up the batteries and leads to unnecessary wear and tear on the lens motor.

;-)

jlyle:
Dee,

Half pressing the shutter to get focus won't work if AF is not selected.

I wasn't suggesting that he should use "full-time" AF. That eats up the batteries and leads to unnecessary wear and tear on the lens motor.

;-)

You're right! I knew that didn't sound right when I said it! Thanks for the clarification!

Great info folks! I was about to post some questions but I've already found answers to several of them in this thread! I gave my Oly C5050 a bath tonight in the tub to get familier with shooting this rig in water. So far it seems as though Macro mode is the way to go using the built in flash. Looks like I would need tons of ambient light to shoot in Super Macro mode? I also found it impossible to focus in Super Macro mode, unless I'm doing something wrong. I would also think that the illuminator is useless underwater and should be shut off?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom