Need info for Divetrip to SE Asia for 2-3 month in budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bondasik:
Hi,
I'm planning for my divetrip to SE Asia for 2-3 month to Philippines, Malaysia, Thailand, Maldive & Indonesia. Starting from May-July 2005. JUST ME, MYSELF & ME GEAR,,LOL :wink: .

Hi guys, just for update, I've move the date for my big trip from May-July 2005 to Mid of July-September 2005 or LONGER(Finger Cross). Any one interested wanna joint me on the way will be really big welcome.
Thanks lotss for all the feedback, is really helpfull info from you guys.

Cheerssss

bondasik:
Maldive, for 7-10 days, Probably this trip will takes out off 50% of my budget, as you all know is it verry expensive..lol..
Diving is my first priority, service, food or even poor service(Will tell them to Bugger off with me finger) is just a plus, at the end of the days when you’re down there and see those beautiful, unique & the most magnificent creature as you can’t imagine, that the most valuable memorable that you can’t erase for the rest of your life. LOL
Cheerss

Bondasik: Please find below some useful info about dive sites in the Mladives

1. Maldive Victory Wreck

The wreck of the Maldives Victory lies on the western side of the airport-island, Hulule, precisely near the first quarter of the southern side of the landing strip. The wreck lies parallel to the reef on the sandy sea bed at a depth of 35 metres (115 feet), upright and with the bowsprit pointing north. The location of the wreck is marked by a buoy, to which boats can be moored. The powerful currents between Male’ and Hulule make it absolutely essential to use a line to dive and to return to the surface. Normally one starts from the main mast, which rises to a depth of just 12 metres (about 40 feet) beneath the surface of the water.

2. Mushi Mas Mingili Thila ( Shark Thila )

Shark Thila lies within the bounds of the reef itself, but at a considerable distance from the other reefs, in the northern section of the Ari Atoll. The closest islands are Fesdu, Halaveli, Maayafushi and Ellaidhu. The thila, which is about 70 metres (230 feet) in diameter, extends in depth to some 10 metres (33 feet) beneath the surface. The dives that can be made at Shark Thila are limited to the thila, and the boat must be moored at the peak of the reef; very experienced divers however can enter the water off the reef and reach their destination by following the currents. In any event with thilas such as this one, which stands in isolation, it is wise to make use of this technique only if one truly has sufficient experience.

3. Guraidhoo Corner

This site lies on the east side of the South Male’ Atoll, outside of the reef. To be more exact, this is the south side of the channel mouth. Nearby islands are Losfushi, Guraidhoo and Kandooma. The reef top drops from ten metres (33 feet) to 30 metres (100feet) and more; there are grottoes and projections just about everywhere. The edges of the channel drop down to a depth of 30 metres (100 feet). Large isolated coral blocks grow, from the scarp of the reef upward. At Guraidhoo Corner only drift dives are possible. It is therefore necessary to be quite an experienced diver on the reef; all the more so because there are powerful vertical currents all around the site at certain hours of the day. The direction of the principal horizontal current is towards the interior of the atoll.

4. Kuda Rah Thila ( Broken Thila )

Broken Rock lies in the southernmost corner of the Ari Atoll, on the eastern side. The closest islands are Dhangethi to the north and Dhigurah to the south. The thila, which seems to have been cleft asunder by a blow from a giant axe, is some 70 metres (230 feet) in length, and rises to a depth of some 13 metres (43 feet) beneath the surface. The remarkable aspect of this coral base is the enormous canyon that runs diagonally across the centre, from southeast to northwest. With a depth of 22 metres (72 feet), this cleft was the source of the name, Broken Rock. On the eastern side is a jutting formation with a remarkable shape, and another small plateau, at a depth of 17 metres. Aside from the considerable depth of the reef top, diving in this site is fairly easy. There are several decisive factors in any decision regarding the techniques to be used on this dive: the currents, which can be very strong at times, but also the level of experience of the participating divers.

Hope this information will help you. If you need more info pleased do contact. :wink:

bondasik:
Thanks lots guys, for your input and comment,
Now, i really really need info regarding Maldive, hemm should I open up another treat ??
Any backpacking place in maldive ????

Hey bondasik,
Try the lonely planet web site or books(photo copy info if don't want to buy books) they list from low end(backpacker where I ususally stay - I 'd rather spend the money diving) to the high end resorts.
Also I like to walk into the shops instead of pre booking and talk to the dive charter/shop managers/owners face to face.I get a better feel for the place ya know. Not saying anyone here would recommend a sh ty shop by any means, they would be the first places I would go. Just a personal prefferance...
Moving to your neck of the woods, New Zealand, looks like sept, will be looking for dive buddies then. Still jealous

thanks for the info regarding the dive site, is really adding up my notes for maldive.
But need more info regarding dive operator, money wise, where to go & stay(bacpacker)in male or other atoll?? or other alternate. Do I have to book direct for LOB or walkin ??

no chance to really shop around the way you are used to. first in order that customs let you enter, just put a name of a resort on your immigation form. when leaving the airport, all the reps of the various resorts will wait for their guest. here you can start shop around. in case you will not find a suitable resort there is also a descent hotel on the island of the airport. im almost sure you could do some diving from there.

how about a liveaboard? this is certanily the best way to dive the maldives. looking at the prices also the cheepest!

might also be around somewhere in se-asia. will leave for a redsea trip and then move on to se-asia.

in case puerto galera is still on your list look also at asia-divers. not the cheepest but very convenient. was diving for 25 days with them in february and will go again.
but note in august the typhoon-season starts.

swisstrav

swisstrav:
no chance to really shop around the way you are used to. first in order that customs let you enter, just put a name of a resort on your immigation form. when leaving the airport, all the reps of the various resorts will wait for their guest. here you can start shop around. in case you will not find a suitable resort there is also a descent hotel on the island of the airport. im almost sure you could do some diving from there.

how about a liveaboard? this is certanily the best way to dive the maldives. looking at the prices also the cheepest!

might also be around somewhere in se-asia. will leave for a redsea trip and then move on to se-asia.

in case puerto galera is still on your list look also at asia-divers. not the cheepest but very convenient. was diving for 25 days with them in february and will go again.
but note in august the typhoon-season starts.

swisstrav

any recomendation which LOB in maldive??? Puerto Galera still on the list, will note that. typhoon season ?? any other site in Philipines you should recomend during that season ???

Operator please close this treat,
I'm in transit in bali now, waiting connection flight to Ujung Pandang, staying there for a week, doing some diving, and goes straigh to Borneo doing me sipadan and back again to Pulau weh.
Thanks all for your input...
Will definitly gave you guys a report when ever I can while I'm on the move..lol..
keep those buble going....

Cao...
Ps: any input still open for Philippines, Thailand & Maldive, Please Private msg me

no - disagree with you

this thread is to good to close down. sorry for no answer so far. had to go diving the red sea twice.

give me some time re liveaboard in the maldives will come back

re typhoon season. the visayas are a fairly good bet. as mentioned before the tayphoon traks are more to the nord. however, arriving in manila you can always decide which way to go. if weather permitts, go to puerto galera and beforehand to anilao which is just about a 20 min drive a way from batangas (still on luzon island). divingwise its even better than puerto galera (imho)

give me now some time i need to digout infos on the maldives-lob

wish i where there

Back
Top Bottom