Need info on Dominica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lin

Registered
Reaction score
My husband and myself and 18yr old son want to go diving end of July or beg of Aug. We were looking at Curacao but after reading Snturner's report we are now looking at Dominica. We have been to Bonaire and loved it though getting there and back was hell, and we want to try something new. We like to go out to dinner at night, explore towns, go hiking. So Dominica sounds good. Is it safe for our son to go to town at night? Any recommendations on places to stay near town or within walking distance? Dive operators?
Any help would be appreciated. We have also dived Grand Cayman and enjoyed it as well.

Dominica has incredible diving and incredible on-land adventures.

www.divedominca.com is the operator I used. They are affiliated with the Castle Comfort Lodge which is a pretty good place to stay. It is within walking distance of the capitol.

If you can, make sure to go on the hike to the Boiling Lake. It is a harsh hike, but 100% worth it!!

Here's a link to some of the adventure tours: http://www.kenshinterlandtours.com/

www.k

Lin:
My husband and myself and 18yr old son want to go diving end of July or beg of Aug. We were looking at Curacao but after reading Snturner's report we are now looking at Dominica. We have been to Bonaire and loved it though getting there and back was hell, and we want to try something new. We like to go out to dinner at night, explore towns, go hiking. So Dominica sounds good. Is it safe for our son to go to town at night? Any recommendations on places to stay near town or within walking distance? Dive operators?
Any help would be appreciated. We have also dived Grand Cayman and enjoyed it as well.
I wouldn't bag the idea of going to Curacao just because of one report. There's many good reports. We've been to Curacao 5 times and I'm fairly fussy, so that says something.

We like to go out to dinner at night, explore towns, go hiking. So Dominica sounds good. Is it safe for our son to go to town at night? Any recommendations on places to stay near town or within walking distance? Dive operators?
Any help would be appreciated. We have also dived Grand Cayman and enjoyed it as well.[/QUOTE]

Hi Lin,

I've been to Dominica twice and heartily recommend it. (Do a search on this board and you'll see my comments in detail). But it's not all things to all people...The diving is excellent; among the best I've done in the Caribbean. The hiking IS the best I've done almost anywhere (and I've done plenty), if you can handle very steamy, wet rainforest hikes. The island is Lost World beautiful with breathtaking mountain vistas, dense, lush rainforest scenery and rivers/waterfalls galore.

But "going out to dinner at night" or going "to town at night", I wouldn't be so enthusiastic about. Dominica's capital, Roseau, is quite rustic, other than a few buildings along the quayside. The island as a whole is not (or was not as of my last visit two years ago) set up for tourism to any extent. There's crushing poverty among many of its residents.

That said, though, I found Dominicans to be almost universally friendly and accomodating and never threatening. If you want to try to get the best of all worlds, you may want to stay at the Fort Young hotel, http://www.fortyounghotel.com/
a somewhat "upscale" establishment (in comparison to others on the island) right on the edge of town, from which you guys and your son could easily stroll into town. How much you'll find going on there at night is a different story although, again, my visit there predated what I understand to be substantial cruise ship traffic in recent times that may have spawned more tourist infrastructure.

I dove both times with Dive Dominica http://www.divedominica.com/
and found the operation to be very pleasant, with comfortable boats, good briefings and divemasters willing to find the "good stuff". They were not, however, into babysitting mode and expected divers to take care of themselves. Dive Dominica operates out of the grounds of the Castle Comfort hotel which they own. It's about a 15 minute walk from town along a pretty funky, narrow sidewalk on the main road. The Castle Comfort is basic but very comfortable with home-cooked island-style food served communally on the porch.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

I concur with most of what peterjmaerez wrote. If you know what you are getting into, Dominica is terrific. Just don't go with unrealistic expectations about infrastructure. If I took my kids (a big if) - age 17 to 24, I would try to wear them out with diving, hiking, canyoning, bicycling. I would also get their understanding ahead of time that we weren't going to be in Cozumel. Rustic is a kind description of Roseau. I don't think there are live music clubs like the young crowd might enjoy.

The Fort Young is pretty nice. We ate there a number of times and the food is excellent. The rooms looked quite nice. I'd make sure I had an ocean view, because the town side would be a drag. I think the Ft. Young uses Dive Dominica.

There are many other comments on Castle Comfort if you look for them. I wouldn't stay there with a young person.

I have a longer post from our trip in October 2003 elsewhere on the board which covers many other details.

Lastly, I agree, don't give up on Curacao.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom