need last minute advice re: Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nabster, have a good trip, it should be easier to just rent equipments in Phuket since there are plenty of shops there. The only advantage you would have for renting it from shopsin Phuket rather than the boat is that you get to see the equipments first, if you don't like it then just walk over to the next shop however it is a bit less convenient than getting it on the boat. Renting from the boat, you won't see it until you get on the boat and if they don't fit well or not as well maintain then you are stuck. Saying that, Mermaids have pretty good reputation, I probably would just email them first and ask what kind of rentals they have, how old they are etc etc and if it sounds reasonable then I probably won't bother with renting it from other diveshops.

Fishchaser, I get seasick all the time (although as I get older, it becomes less of a problem), I have been on liveaboard on a good size boat 30+m as well as smaller one for 4-7 days trip and never really got bored. You tend to dive more 3-4 dives per day, they tend to serve food and snacks often and I tend to nap a lot between dive if I dont do anything else, I also find that even if I travel by myself, other divers are generally pretty friendly and since you all share similar interest, it should be easy to meet new friends anyhow.
Most boats will pair you up and won't charge you extra unless you request to be in your own room. If the boat is not full, you have a good chance of having the room for yourself anyhow without having to pay extra.

nabster:
we've decided to go with MM2 to the similans! thanks everybody. will post my divereport when i return .. now I need to determine equipment rental options. Rent from the guys at Mermaid, or get a local shop in BKK or Phuket to rent me something ..

You will need to rent the gear from whoever you have booked the trip with. If you booked direct with Mermaid, be sure they know you need gear. I had a beer with the boat manager last night and she said people sometimes get on board, the boat departs and only then they ask for gear..too late.

Say Hi to Celso for me...

nabster:
I'm sure some would love to have a problem like this... but its really got me torn up. My brother and I leave for a 9 day trip to Bangkok later this month. Here is what our original plan looked like:

Trip A:
1. Arrive in BKK on the 10th
2. Fly to Phuket on the 12th via AirAsia
3. Get on a 4 day Liveaboard to Similan/Surin/Richelieu 12th-17th
4. Return to Phuket on the 17th
5. Return to Bangkok on the 18th
6. Return home on the 19th.

Now, my brother, is having last minute doubts. Here is why :06:
1. We are both fairly novice divers and have only about a dozen dives each
2. This is our first trip to Thailand .. so maybe we should do something more than just dive during our 9 days there
3. We've never been on a liveaboard .. what if we cant adjust to the diving, or the sea sickness is too much, or we dont like the dive crew, or we just get bored of diving? :11: ?
4. Can we get better diving (quality/price) if we just fly to koh samui or koh tao?

So with all that said, here is the alternative trip he is suggesting
Trip B:
1. Arrive in BKK on 12/10 .. party for a couple days
2. Fly to Phuket on 12/12 .. party for a couple days
3. Fly to Koh Samui on 12/14 .. party and dive around Koh Samui/Tao for 4-5 days
4. Return to Bangkok on 12/18
5. Return home on the 12/19

:1poke: Anybody care to offer their thoughts on Trip A vs Trip B

Any idea on how much $ we can expect to spend for about 15 dives in Koh Samui/Koh Tao as compared to the 660$ that Mermaid II will cost us?

sorry if I am sounding like too much of a noob .. but I was hoping someone can relate and help! Thanks!!

Ive dived both sides and would be inclined to say to stick to your original idea (plan a).

you wont have any probs on the vast majority of sites in the similans and the diving is better there by far than on the gulf side.

if youre in bk for a few days there's loads to do and see, both by night and day but I personally dont like staying in bk for more than a few days before the novelty wears off.

DORSETBOY:
Ive dived both sides and would be inclined to say to stick to your original idea (plan a).

BTW, this thread was originally posted in 2004.

We did go with Trip A and had an amazing time. Unfortunately the tsumani hit about a week after we got off the boat, and put everything in a grim perspective .. but it was a great trip nonetheless

Thanks for taking the time to reply :)

Trip report? Which boat, conditions on boat, where you dove (generally), how crew was, how food was...

Thinking of going next year.

nabster:
We did go with Trip A and had an amazing time. Unfortunately the tsumani hit about a week after we got off the boat, and put everything in a grim perspective .. but it was a great trip nonetheless

Thanks for taking the time to reply :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom