need last minute advice re: Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nabster

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure some would love to have a problem like this... but its really got me torn up. My brother and I leave for a 9 day trip to Bangkok later this month. Here is what our original plan looked like:

Trip A:
1. Arrive in BKK on the 10th
2. Fly to Phuket on the 12th via AirAsia
3. Get on a 4 day Liveaboard to Similan/Surin/Richelieu 12th-17th
4. Return to Phuket on the 17th
5. Return to Bangkok on the 18th
6. Return home on the 19th.

Now, my brother, is having last minute doubts. Here is why :06:
1. We are both fairly novice divers and have only about a dozen dives each
2. This is our first trip to Thailand .. so maybe we should do something more than just dive during our 9 days there
3. We've never been on a liveaboard .. what if we cant adjust to the diving, or the sea sickness is too much, or we dont like the dive crew, or we just get bored of diving? :11: ?
4. Can we get better diving (quality/price) if we just fly to koh samui or koh tao?

So with all that said, here is the alternative trip he is suggesting
Trip B:
1. Arrive in BKK on 12/10 .. party for a couple days
2. Fly to Phuket on 12/12 .. party for a couple days
3. Fly to Koh Samui on 12/14 .. party and dive around Koh Samui/Tao for 4-5 days
4. Return to Bangkok on 12/18
5. Return home on the 12/19

:1poke: Anybody care to offer their thoughts on Trip A vs Trip B

Any idea on how much $ we can expect to spend for about 15 dives in Koh Samui/Koh Tao as compared to the 660$ that Mermaid II will cost us?

sorry if I am sounding like too much of a noob .. but I was hoping someone can relate and help! Thanks!!

nabster:
2. This is our first trip to Thailand .. so maybe we should do something more than just dive during our 9 days there
3. We've never been on a liveaboard .. what if we cant adjust to the diving, or the sea sickness is too much, or we dont like the dive crew, or we just get bored of diving? :11: ?

Get bored of diving? Not likely.

You mean there is stuff to do on vacation other than dive? I know I always think, I'd rather be diving when we do other things...

As for liveaboards, you'll probably love it. They are a blast and you know you will be on the boat with like-minded people (divers). Do take along seasickness stuff, though, coz it can happen to anyone.

Flip a coin...you're bound to have excellent fun whichever route you choose!

This time of the year is the low season for Koh Samui because of the rain and generally poor viz. It is still a nice island to visit though.
Diving around Similan/Richeliue is going to be much nicer than Samui/Tao significantly.
There are some very nice liveaboards in Thailand and there are some that I would not want to spend too much time on, so it depends on the boat you are going to be one.

I've contacted the Mermaid Staff, and they have availability on both boats MM1, and MM2 .. I'm leaning towards MM2. I also have the South Siam 4 on my radar as it offers a 3day tour ..

ssra30:
This time of the year is the low season for Koh Samui because of the rain and generally poor viz. It is still a nice island to visit though.
Diving around Similan/Richeliue is going to be much nicer than Samui/Tao significantly.
There are some very nice liveaboards in Thailand and there are some that I would not want to spend too much time on, so it depends on the boat you are going to be one.
ouch .. I had no idea about the poor viz in koh samui/tao??? i thought it got bad late in december .. early january

will phuket be any better?

and then ofcourse as you said, similan/Richeliue would be better

MM1 or MM2 should be pretty good but I never been on it myself but heard good things about the operator. The Similans have lots of shelter so during non diving time, you should not have too much problem with seasickness. The islands themselves are very small but certain island such as Koh 4 (or is it 8) has a couple of nice small beaches that you can take a break on if you like.
If you don't want to spend too many days diving, you can also just do land base from Phuket or Koh Lak, diving is a bit less convenient since you will have to spend quite a bit of time traveling to the Similans even in speedboat (not very comfortable in my opinion) but it will give you more time to spend on the beach and do some diving as well.

Go for the Similan trip you won't regret it, awsome diving. If you have time and you are based in Phuket do the King cruiser wreck and the Phi Phi islands as well. I think the diving in Thiland is well suited to even a novice so sould be no problem. Mind you I am used to the waters around North East England so anything is a breeze compared to that :11: Thialand is one of the best places I have ever been and has a lot to offer besides diving and the food and shopping are realy cheap.

nabster:
ouch .. I had no idea about the poor viz in koh samui/tao??? i thought it got bad late in december .. early january

will phuket be any better?

and then ofcourse as you said, similan/Richeliue would be better

Mid November to April is the peak season for Andaman Sea while Samui/Tao season is from April to August. Viz around Samui/Tao during Dec-Jan was around 10m last time I was there which was not bad but could be significantly better at the right time of the year.

Deff go to the Similans, you wont regret it and the diving is better than on Tao, if you had time i'd suggest doing both but I dont think any diver going to Thailand should miss the similans!

Generally, people either love or loathe Tao, I personally love the island but thee a lot of people who don't.

Not sure where you are flying from , if it's from the uk you'll prob be landing in Bk at around 11am in the morning that gives you the best part of 2 days in BK. Lots you can do in that time, some people like to go down to Patpong or you might like to see the other side of the culture, personally I would say that noone should miss the floating market (ealy moning stat on day 2), the royal palaces or the reclining buddha. It's poss to see these in a couple of days and relax in a bar for a bit too. That way you can do the diving and sight seeing in 1 trip.

DORSETBOY:
Deff go to the Similans, you wont regret it and the diving is better than on Tao, if you had time i'd suggest doing both but I dont think any diver going to Thailand should miss the similans!

Generally, people either love or loathe Tao, I personally love the island but thee a lot of people who don't.

Not sure where you are flying from , if it's from the uk you'll prob be landing in Bk at around 11am in the morning that gives you the best part of 2 days in BK. Lots you can do in that time, some people like to go down to Patpong or you might like to see the other side of the culture, personally I would say that noone should miss the floating market (ealy moning stat on day 2), the royal palaces or the reclining buddha. It's poss to see these in a couple of days and relax in a bar for a bit too. That way you can do the diving and sight seeing in 1 trip.
appreciate the quick must hit tips ! .. floating market, reclining buddha, and royal palaces ... will definitely try to do those

I'm flying in from the US, so my flight gets in at around midnight :(

Back
Top Bottom