need last minute advice re: Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

not always such a bad thing, if you fancy a few beers ty hitting Koh Sarn road after you land, Koh Sarn centre (pub / bar / restaurant / pool hall!) is open all night. I always prefer Koh Sarn Road at night, it's safe, the people are friendly and it's kinda got a bustle to it. Shouldn't be more than 500 baht from the aipot. When you're in BK, try and take the Green taxi's anywhee you go as they will be far cheaper than any others.

And stay away from the Tuk Tuks. They rip you off.

DORSETBOY:
yeah, they're the ones in BK as I remember that give you a fair price. Think they're regulated more than the other taxis.

Taxis in Bangkok have meters...

And when you walk out of the airport terminal building there is a booth at the head of the taxi queue (don't go with anyone inside the building: you will pay more)

Green taxis do, most others don't, got stung myself on the first occasion!

Officially now all licensed taxis have meter in Bangkok (those with yellow plate). Some people will try to negotiate a price to a certain destination and bypass the meter completely which I don't recommend unless you know the usual cost already. Some taxis may take advantage of tourists and turn off their meter and ask for a flat price instead, avoid those at all cost but generally all taxis, red/blue, blue, yellow/green etc all have meter now.
Leaving from the airport, including the airport fee, tollway and expressway fee, most meter taxi should cost only around 250-300 bahts to get into the city, Soi Kaosarn is a bit further but still should be well under 400 bahts. If you take airport limousine service, it would cost between 500-800 bahts depending on the company and what kind of cars they use, ie Toyota Camry vs Mercedes E class etc.

Technically, there are supposed to be only 2 kinds of taxi now, red/blue and green/yellow, one signifies independently own taxi, the other, the driver rents the car from a company. There are still some older taxi and occasionally other color taxi which I have no idea if it supposed to mean anything.

Timely thread for me...I'm going to Singapore on business for January 12th, and was trying to find a place to dive (in another thread). It seems that Sipadan is out of my price range, as well as schedule, but a liveaboard Similan seems reasonable.

I was looking at the OrpheusDive White Manta boat, as their schedule and costs align with what I was looking for. Does anyone have any comments on this company or this boat?

It seems like a lot of diving (14 dives for a 5 day, 4 night trip) which is good. Like the original poster nabster, I am a noob too, getting OW and AOW certified earlier this year, but am extremely comfortable in the water. I assume that this liveaboard will not be a problem for me, right?

Also, like nabster, I am concerned that this is a lot of time on a small boat. I'm wondering if I will get stir crazy being confined to such a small boat. Any comments from people who have been on a liveaboard with the same concerns? I'd be travelling by myself, so no friends to talk to. I'd have to make new ones. :) Which leads me to another question. If I travel alone, will they pair me up with another single traveller and we'd bunk together, or am I forced to pay more and get a room by myself?

Lastly, I'd probably fly Air Asia from Singapore direct to Phuket. Due to diving on the last day of the trip, it's recommended to stay overnight before flying out, so I'd need some place to stay on Phuket. Recommendations on where to stay and what to do on that 24hr S.I.?

Thanks!

Depends on what you pay and the type of boat but often it's kinda bunk beds in a dormitory stle, that said even then they tend to be very comfy.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting bored or anything like that, the diving is so superb that when you're out of the water you'll talk about it non-stop. It's a great way to meet folk and you'll prob come off the boat at the end of the trip with a load of new dive buddies.

we've decided to go with MM2 to the similans! thanks everybody. will post my divereport when i return .. now I need to determine equipment rental options. Rent from the guys at Mermaid, or get a local shop in BKK or Phuket to rent me something ..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom