Need New knife any recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aaen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey Everyone. Am looking to purchae a new knife. Something durable, and that is not so small that I can't misplace it and lose it. Also am not looking to purchase titanium as it is to hard to keep an edge. Also would like somethig with decent corrosion resistance. All suggestiosn woudl be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Well,
I have a UK (Underwater Kinetics) Remora knife. I find it to be just the right size, not too small and not to big. Its about 7 inches total with the sheath. Rounded tip means you wont likely stab yourself, to put it lightly and the blade is seratted so it cuts through line with ease. Thats what your using it for right? And the blade is SS, im pretty sure or some type of corrosion resisant material. I got mine from Leisurepro in yellow so I can see it easly. Also it comes with many places to attach it to your BC. I corrently have it on my Bp/Wings. Overall I think its a great knife.
Tekdiver10

Uncle Pug:
aaen, what will you be using the knife for? I always figure that a tool is best fit to the job.

PLan on uising the knife for general use. Some prying, cutting of lines, etc. Have been looking a bit at posideon mini-master, but am still up in the air about wat to get. From what I can see though, is that there are one pile of knives that will do the job, just want to sort out the crap first.

Steve

aaen:
Hey Everyone. Am looking to purchae a new knife. Something durable, and that is not so small that I can't misplace it and lose it. Also am not looking to purchase titanium as it is to hard to keep an edge. Also would like somethig with decent corrosion resistance. All suggestiosn woudl be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

I like the Wenoka Squeeze-Lock knife. It's reasonably small, with a handle large enough to grasp with 5-mil wet gloves. It's made of a very rust-resistant metal, and comes with one serrated side and one straight edge. The tip is blunt for prying or to use as a "screwdriver".

Only drawback is that it doesn't have the line-cutter "crescent" cut into the blade.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I also vote for the U.K. Remora. Good size. Not to big or to small. Reasonably priced. You may also want to check into a line cutter. They make a great inexpensive secondary cutter. Depending on where you dive the line cutter may be all you need. Stay away from the BIG "Rambo" sized knives. Good luck.

Matt

I don;t intend on buying a huge knife as it is. They serve their purpose, but not with scuba diving. Been in terested in the posideon mini-master, have heard a few good things about them. How big is to big of a knife. I figure a 4-5" handle witha 3" blade to be an alright size, not to big that it gets in the way and not to small that you can;t find the damn thing.

Steve

I carry one or the other of these in one of these and a pair of EMT shears clipped off in my left tight pocket using a double ended bolt snap.

The red handled knife has a thick blade but lightly scoring it with a file, putting it in the vise on the scored line and then whacking it with a hammer made getting the correct length a *snap*. I ground the pommels off of the handle so it would fit in the sheath better.

With the little black handled paring knife I just ground the tip off of the hooked blade.

Both were very cheap and because the chance of losing and object is directly proportionate to its cost I have had these for quite some time.

They are exceedingly sharp and will cut whatever line they touch... except SS leader. That is where the shears come in handy.

Just this past Saturday I used my shears to cut free a down rigger ball that someone had left lodged in the side of a wreck.

I love my ScubaPro K-3. Can be mounted damn near anywhere: leg, arm (? :)), BC shoulder, or 2" webbing. Small enough to be very useful, but maintains big enough handle to use even with 5mm gloves on. In addition to all that, very resonable in price.

http://www.scubapro.com/products/accessories/knives/k_3/k_3.asp

Another knife that is popular with a lot of our customers is the Armor 3008T. I wasn't wild about a folding dive knife at first but upon further inspection, its pretty good. The line cutter is available without opening the blade, essentially making it Z-knife type cutting device. Small enough to fit in any BC accessory pocket or a sheath on a 2" belt. Additionally, its make from titanium. Ultra light, corrosion resistant and maintains an edge (somewhat of a PITA to sharpen, but you hardly ever need to).

Just one more idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom